A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

RikTelner commented: It has been proven that ducks echo is too fast for humans to be able to hear it. +0
Mya:) commented: now i learned something +0

Yet another internet "fact" that doesn't stand up to the science.

In Tennessee, it is illegal to catch a fish with a lasso.

Jefferson City, MO, Pierre, SD, and Juneau, AK are the state capitals without an intestate running directly through the city limits. Honolulu, HI has the H interstates running through.

Bill Gates is RICH (ha, ha, I know, I know, pretty obvious!)

The Spanish national anthem has no words.

Strictly speaking, the Korean War never ended. The armistice was signed on July 27, 1953, and was designed to "insure a complete cessation of hostilities and of all acts of armed force in Korea until a final peaceful settlement is achieved." The final settlement is still pending so what we have is a 61 year-long cease fire.

@Jim, I maybe wrong but isn't the korean war considered to be America's Forgotten War?

I think they'd like to forget most of them. They didn't win in Viet Nam. They didn't win in Korea. They didn't win in Iraq or Afghanistan. True, they got Hussein but look at the aftermath. Is Iraq peaceful and stable after "liberation"? Has the Taliban been crushed in Afghanistan? Both countries are in total disarray more than a decade after American troops went in. Has America won the war on terror? Al Quaeda is better organized and has grown steadily since 9/11. Every action the US has taken in the middle east has only guaranteed ever increasing recruits for the terrorists and US citizens are gradually giving up all their rights as government repeatedly cries "it's for your own good". Doesn't sound like "winning" to me.

They didn't win in Korea.

I thought the US won korea? They aided south korea by making sure the communist power didn't come in from the north (aided by communist china). I only thought the US won because the communists didn't obtain anything from south, their borders remained the same rather than Vietnam... (according to a history book I randomly noticed in the school library...)

That's why I said "strictly speaking". Technically the war has not ended. North and South Korea are currently in a cease fire so the war is still ongoing. They just aren't shooting at each other at the moment. That's not a win. That's a stalemate.

The atomium has 9 balls.

commented: When I first saw it, I thought "Atomium" was strange molecule I've known nothing about until now. +0

The Apollo lunar missions used computers, built with 7400 chips.

According to spending accounts from the 2012 US elections, senators had to raise, on average, $14,351 a day for every day they were in office the previous term. That is over $5.2 million per year.

Those kinds of donations come with strings attached. In 2010, a letter opposing net neutrality was signed by 74 Democrats. A subsequent investigation showed that these Democrats got more money on average from phone and cable companies than other house members. The same situation arose again in 2014 when 20 house Democrats signed a similar letter. In at least one case, one of the signatories received more than five times as much (approximately $60,000). Marsha Blackburn is a vocal opponent of net neutrality. Three of her top five contributors are the National Cable and Telecommunications Association, AT&T and Verizon.

Window glass is made by floating molten glass on molten tin.

Glass is vitrious ie. an amorpheus solid that softens as heat is applied until gravity is able to affect its shape.

It is theorized that glass will also melt at temperatures near zero k

"Big" brother pluto

You could wrap Russia around Pluto with a bit of left overs.
Russia area - Pluto area = "only" 1398km^2

Faith not crazy

Christopher Langan. American with IQ reported between 195-210 claims that within religions and science there is possibility they will cross their ways at certain point. He uses his great brains to prove existence of heaven, instead of preaching how people of faith are bad.

Much upload, big wow

Over every real second, there is 80 hours of video material uploaded on YouTube.

Crank it up buddy

It would take about 80 years for computers 50 years ago to render nowadays meme (within special circumstances).

Also

(30+25)^2= 3025

At least five Americans have accidentally shot off their own penises since 2010. source

commented: At least you know it's there. It was* +0

Five women are murdered with a gun in the United States every day, most often by an intimate partner. From 2001 to 2012, 6,410 women were murdered in the US by an intimate partner using a gun—more than the total number of U.S. troops killed in action during the entirety of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan combined. source

Jim, why are you so obsessed with American gun problems when you dont even live here? I don't see anyone making any posts posts about Canadian prolems.

@AncientDragon Maybe because he has some psychological issues... he can check them for free in health care plan.

According to most people, Joseph Stalin was/is the most evil man in history. He has killed a total of 10-60 million people

<M/>, in WW2 over 60 million people died. By the bodies that were found, what about bodies that were burnt to death or I don't even know.

commented: 80 million died during that war +0

Stalin's reign doesn't just involve WW2, remember when he caused a great famine in Ukraine that costed 7 million lives in 1932-1933. He killed millions during the Great Purge. He killed many people due to gulags and collectivization.

<M/>, I think that RikTelner was trying to put up Hitler as a pretty good contender for the dreaded title of most evil man in history, since the world war that he started ultimately led to at least 60 million deaths (excluding the Japanese side of the conflict).

The death toll of Stalin doesn't reach that high, even by the most enflated estimates. Stalin's death toll is probably closer to 20 million. There is no doubt though that Stalin is easily in the top 3 of most evil people in history, but I don't think you could put him above Hitler on that list.

And also, it helps to be reminded that things are always seen from a particular point of view, and there is usually an opposite point of view too.

A lot of sources that I have read say stalin killed more than hitler? Just the famine stalin caused killed more people than the jews dying in the holocaust.

Here is one source...https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006050806108

Besides, even if stalin killed approximately 20 million people, that is still more than what hitler killed (9-15 million)

Interesting how the Stalin's Apology that was linked to contains a reference to Thalidomide which wasn't developed until a year after his death and for which the teratogenic effects weren't discovered until much later. That does not refute the point being made but it should at least be accurate.

More likely because the availablity of guns south of the border seeps north as many illegally owned firearms in Canada (including those used by organized crime) are suggled in from the USA. So tighter gun controls in the US would be beneficial to Canadians as well. More information: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ci-rc/reports-rapports/traf/index-eng.htm

Surely Columbus must be on the list of most evil men. He kidnapped,raped, and enslaved large numbers of native people. The diseases he and the colonists who followed (thanks to his exaggerated claims of riches) brought with them wiped out 90% of population of an entire continent. Plus he tortured and mutilated both natives and his own people for minor infractions. Estimates suggest in the first 14 years of colonization in the Caribbean 3 million died of war & exploitation.

commented: "Just" 3 million?! Dude we're talking about 80 millions! +0
commented: Inaccurate +0

Stalin of course did have a slight advantage over Hitler in that he had 30 years to do his dirty work, Hitler only had about 13...
I seriously doubt whether there's much to choose between them, both in ideology and implementation both were rotten to the core.

Let's just all forget about all rapists, murderers, psychopaths and other... people. Just go on with topic

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.