I'm curious as to how many music geeks are out there. I'm one of them becuase I just constantly listen to nearly all kinds of music. If I'm not listening to music, I'm making music somehow. Right now, I'm in a Classic rock phase and listening to Rolling Stones & Little River Band music a lot. Some of he songs I hear inspire me to write my own tune. So are you a music geek?

Listen to Shine A Light by The Rolling Stones
http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/13715933

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

I'm a music geek for sure. I got through spurts where I'll listen to a particular artist or style until my ears hurt then switch.

I recently have been on a Frank Zappa kick. IMO, Zappa is the greatest composer since Mozart. Some of the best guitar work you will ever hear is on his album 'Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar.' Highly recommend it.

NOTE: If you are easily offended by non-PC lyrics then you'll hate pretty much every piece of music he sings on. That's the mark of a genius.

The Stones are great.

I'm on Dream Theater at the moment. There'Gotta lovve the music, the lyrics, the song...everything. Was on a scorpions kick before this. s

Dream Theater is pretty good. One of the better bands to come out of the 80's metal scene. Their albums get pretty good reviews among the critics too. It's a shame bands like them are over looked so much.

Yeah. The moment I heard their work, I was hooked. The first album I heard was Scenes from a Memory. It still remains my most listened to albums. You have to love the way the moods progress throughout.

Zappa, the Stones. Yeah, that's my element. Lately though I listen to mudvayne, Red Hot Chili Pepers, Staind, System of the Down, Disturbed and stuff like that. I heard some vintage YES today and that put me back in High School for a few minutes.

Sorry this is kinda late, but hey, it may be late, but it is stylish. I won't go TOO deep into depth, but here is a list of bands/groups i like.

Meat Loaf
Cheap Trick
Manfred Mann
Quiet Riot
Meat Loaf
Twisted Sister
Queen
Autograph
Night Ranger
And did i happen to mention Meat Loaf? No? Ok, i like him too...

I'm not into making music TOO much. I have a program called "FL Studios". It is a shareware download. It is a COMPLEET sound synthesiser that can create just about anything. Anywhere from electric guitars to violins to pianos, and symbols.

But anyways, if you havn't heard Meat Loaf, it should be something you should do before you die. Man, a Piano, AND an electric guitar doing a duet, NOW THAT IS MUSIC. Or a Piano, and a bass guitar creating the coolest intro ever?(for my favourite song; I'm gonna love her for both of us). Or, if thoes don't impress you, what about hiring the ENTIRE Melbourne Symphony Orchestra for his last concert EVER! Yah, imagine;
24 Violins
8 Violas
6 Chellos
3 Double Basses
2 Flutes
1 Piccolo
2 Oboes
1 Clarinet
1 Bass Clarinet
2 Basson
4 French Horn
3 Trumpets
1 Trombone
1 Bass Trombone
1 Tuba
1 Timpani
3 People on percussion
AND TO TOP THAT OFF, MEAT LOAF's band;
Kasim Sulton - Bass Guitar
Randy Flowers - Electric Guitar, Guitar, Keyboards
Mark Alexander - Piano, Keyboards
John Miceli - Drums
Paul Crook - Head Electric Guitar
Meat Loaf - Artist
CC - Backing Vocals
Patti Russo - Vocals
Keith Levenson - Conductor of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra

If anyone would like, i will list the names of all the Orchestra members, but that might really clog up Dani's server.........

I Really love:

-Beatles
-Pink Floyd
-Any Oldies
-Jazz
-Clasical

I'd consider myself more of a music guy and then a geek. All I want to do is play music, but that doesn't pay the bills for the family. So now I am a geek. I guess it passes the time until the right person hears my stuff. Anyway as far as music taste. It is somewhere between Ernest Tubb and Pat Green. I like classic rock and hardcore blues, but country is my home.

Oh yeah! I'm a music geek! My right brain hemisphere needs something to tinker with as well :)
I've been playing the bass guitar for 20 years now. (Contrary to my avatar, I know) I'm not into any kind of 'easy listening', I like music that catches my attention in any form and I'm not afraid of the weird and the wicked. :D

My favourites include: (starts with some pretty heavy stuff, as some of my favourite metal bands have released new albums)

Slayer
Voivod
Laurie Anderson
Kaizers Orchestra
Tom Waits
Christina Aguilera (No, she's not my type. I really like her music)
Aziza Mustafa Zadeh (*She is* my type and damn can that girl play the piano)
Einstürzende Neubauten
Skinny Puppy
Firewater
The Dresden Dolls
Velvet Revolver
and many more... (ask me again in a week and receive a list with many artists unnamed here)

And of course I play in two bands myself. (@moderators: please remove links if considered spam)
Raa Hoor Khuit - http://www.raahoorkhuit.de/
The Art of Stampede - http://www.t-a-o-s.de/
At the moment both bands have problems with the drummer (one moved to Vienna and the other one got a surgery) so I'm mostly jamming with friends here and there.

not a music geek as such, come on i only have 6gb of it on this comp lol, mainly dance stuff but nickleback and feeder are up there, along with paul oakenfold, yellowcard, driftwood, faithless, robert miles ...........and the list goes on...............:d

how much of that 6GB did you aqcuire legally?
And how many CDs does that make?

I've over 600 audio CDs, several dozen DVDs, and several dozen vinyl albums (left from about 300, most of them replaced with CDs long ago to spare the needle on my precious record player, which is by now almost impossible to replace).
Yes, I'm somewhat of a music lover, but not at all the type of music a geek is supposed to like.
I'm more into folk and country music, going into classical (from Bach to Strauss).

I guess I am mainly a piano geek. Here is me playing with Tetris music. http://youtube.com/watch?v=SkrVnfHsmK8

I am too. It's hard to beat 'moonlight sonata' and 'fur elise' (my two favs).

I'm a music geek for sure. I got through spurts where I'll listen to a particular artist or style until my ears hurt then switch.

I recently have been on a Frank Zappa kick. IMO, Zappa is the greatest composer since Mozart. Some of the best guitar work you will ever hear is on his album 'Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar.' Highly recommend it.

NOTE: If you are easily offended by non-PC lyrics then you'll hate pretty much every piece of music he sings on. That's the mark of a genius.

The Stones are great.

Well, I don't know who you are, but judging by your avatar you have to be very cool. I live in NC and root the hurricanes on also!

I have roughly 600 albums. So much of it I haven't listened to for years though - stuff like RHCP and Foo Fighters. What was I thinking when I bought or ripped them off friends?

Now I spend 90% of my time listening to Motown (Mum's influence) or Folk (Dad's) or old Hiphop.

Occasionally though its nice to be able to thumb through and find something I've not heard for ages and relive my youth with mid 90's indie rock and roll (Charlatans, Oasis, Blur, Super Furry Animals)

how much of that 6GB did you aqcuire legally?
And how many CDs does that make?

I've over 600 audio CDs, several dozen DVDs, and several dozen vinyl albums (left from about 300, most of them replaced with CDs long ago to spare the needle on my precious record player, which is by now almost impossible to replace).
Yes, I'm somewhat of a music lover, but not at all the type of music a geek is supposed to like.
I'm more into folk and country music, going into classical (from Bach to Strauss).

from legal sources i aqcuired about 1gb, in all it would do around 115 cd's at 15 songs per cd, but its mainly in the mp3 format though...

from legal sources i aqcuired about 1gb

I don't think you're supposed to discuss illegal things here, but "exceptions are helping to remove spyware or browser hijacks (that may or may not be related to illegal material) from a computer."

Just quoting from the rules.

I don't think you're supposed to discuss illegal things here...

Right you are.

I have probably 15 G's worth of mp3's. I've accuared smost of it legaly.

So you admit then that you acquired a substantial portion of it illegally? :P

well if you illegaly means I borrowed cd's from friends and put them on my computer. then yeah, I guess.

Music geek? Definitely(FireS recently found out he had been spelling the word definitely wrong for over 5 years). I listen to almost every kind of music imaginable, constantly. If I'm not listening, I'm playing my guitar or my violin (rare). I do nothing, I go nowhere, I say nothing, and I die always when I am not listening to music.

I love all types of music too!! I do not have a favourite band/musician though, cause I get bored very easily. Everysingle album I have (except for the Carpentars, which I bought 5 years ago on vinyl) is a compilation. I love compilation disks! A question for all you geeks out there! Do you beleive vinyl is dead? I wish it would!! I LOVE CD's and can't understand how peoople can say vinly was much better in sound quality! If you have ever listened to classical music on CD then, listened to the same piece on vinyl, does not the pops, crackles, etc. you get on vinyl spoil it? I think so!! I have got all my vinyl on CD ( using Adobe Audition 1.5,) so I could get rid of the annooying (and music spoiling) crackles etc. Anyone else agree?

Pops and crackles are really annoying, but the dynamics are so much better on vinyl. Still I think vinyl is dead. Needs too much care. I miss the big covers, though.

Actually, the sound quality IS better on vinyl, but the problem with vinyl is similar to that of cassettes.
They wear out quite quickly.
However, now you can buy phonographs that use lasers instead of needles, they never wear out the vinyls, and can play a warped or even broken (into pieces) vinyl as if it had no such problems. No cracks, no pops, those are biproducts of the needle that was previously eliminated. Alas, they cost around 2000 USD.
That's why I use CDs. Plus they take up less space.
[EDIT] But, I must say that I would listen to vinyl and make space for all of them, if I had a player that could handle stuff like this.

On a different note, I really don't like compilations. I would much rather have all of Led Zeppelin's albums, or all of Dylan's, than having a greatest hits CD. The only exception is Soundtracks. Sometimes you get stuff on soundtracks that are either not released anywhere else, or are just dang near impossible to find any other way. For example: The (3) FlCl Soundtracks. I probably would have a decent number of problems trying to find all the albums done by The Pillows, if they even have any. (They're Japenese, so it's a little harder to keep track of.)

Dream Theater is pretty good. One of the better bands to come out of the 80's metal scene. Their albums get pretty good reviews among the critics too. It's a shame bands like them are over looked so much.

Dream theater are god among men, I have been a massive fan for many years

favourite metallica albums:

ride the lightning
master of puppets (close second)
and justice for all
theblack album otherwise known as "metallica" (this ranking will undoubtably lead to flamewars)
kill em all
load/reload ( crap)
st. anger (total and utter crap)

i thaught fade to black and sanitarium are the best songs ever written. if i was an eccentric millionaire i would soooooo have metallica play it at my funeral

Dream theater are god among men, I have been a massive fan for many years

the user "serunson" likes them

Serunson does like them. :P
Along with Audioslave at the moment, they are awesome. Also i like more mellow stuff like Coldplay and Crowded House, if anyone even knows who the hell they are :P

OMG yeah , my faves are dancing fool, muffin man and yellow snow

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.