I don't know if you are, but I am counting down before the launching starts. Only 01 hour 14 minutes 00 seconds left. If you're interested, live broadcast is available at apple.com/live

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

It's just a phone.

It's just an Apple phone.

iWatch? Ugly as, pointless as, meh.

iPhone 6? Meh.

iPhone 6+? Meh+.

Thinking Apple has seriously lost the plot. Seeing no reason to upgrade from a 5s to a 6, seeing no reason to buy an iWatch (or any smartwatch for that matter - what a seriously overhyped technology) and seeing little reason to continue my investment in Apple when the time comes to change my phone.

Pretty much what @happygeek said,and watches like ... why ... I really thing that some absolutely unnecessary items are becoming part of our daily life and that would really affect the coming age of children, they' ll prolly end up being zombie-like connected to the net and games all the time while back in my childhood, net was something that we place in the middle and play games around

My main problem with the whole so-called 'smart' watch technology concept is that so far they have not been that smart at all. The core functionality of all these devices would appear to be able to alert you to things happening on your phone, without you having to look at your phone. Thing is, if I have to have the phone in my pocket anyway why bother adding another bit of tech to access it? Have we become so lazy that looking at your phone is now too much bother? I mean, c'mon, what is a smartwatch actually for?

George Carlin once said that if you nail two things together that have never been nailed together before, some idiot will buy it from you.

LOOK!!! IT'S A WATCH!!! AND IT'S SMART!!!. OOOH. SHINY.

We really need to start teaching people how marketing is making everyone stupid.

You just helped me convinced not to really buy them.

I suggest you watch episode 7 of Silicon Valley with particuular attention to minutes 23-24. They do a montage of a number of presenters with every one parroting the phrases "our software will revolutionize the way you..." and "...making the world a better place". The tech industry relies on hype to survive. As Theodore Sturgeon famously said, "ninety percent of everything is crap." That isn't to say the iPhone is crap. It's a remarkable product but when I see people lining up outside the stores days in advance just so they can get the latest version (look, it's 0.5mm thinner) I just scratch my head.

We long since reached the point where tech companies are selling us upgrades we don't need in order to replace stuff that is perfectly fit for purpose, does everything we need and lasts for many years. They have to, otherwise the revenue stream would dry up. Trouble is, we are (on the whole) stupid enough to fall for it. I am just as much a mug as anyone in this regard although I do manage to only replace my laptop every three years and my phone every other year. :)

About the only hardware which breaks the upgrade for the sake of it rule is printers, which are so crap that they tend to break easily and so cheap (it's all about the consumables) that they are not 'worth' repairing. I truly hate the printer hardware market, with a vengeance. Mainly becuase I hate waste.

I haven't seen Silicon Valley, but will download and watch the episode you suggested.

To be honest, I really was convinced when Apple introduced their products. I was awed and carried away by people who have shared the same sentiments during the presentation. I never considered the fact that the unit I have now already serves my essential needs for a phone. My bad to have fallen to their trap.

When I read all of your commentaries, I told myself "Damn right!"

Studies have shown that the easier it is to spend money, the more we tend to spend. If you have to open your wallet and take out actual physical money you tend to spend less because

1. it's physically more involved than other methods
  2. it more easily reminds you that you have a limited amount of money
  3. once the cash runs out you pretty much have to stop buying stuff

Credit cards made it easier for people to spend money they didn't have because a credit card does not remind you that your cash is dwindling. It always looks the same whether you have a thousand dollars or are a thousand in debt.

But at least with a credit card you still have to take out your wallet (a physical reminder of your finances) and take out the card. With Apple's new Apple Pay you just take out your iPhone and the connection to your actual money is now broken. Supposedly with the SmartWatch you will eventually be able to just wave your watch over a sensor and spending money you don't have will be easier than it's ever been before.

Welcome to the next financial crash.

Wow! This is brillant. I never thought of that. I couldn't say this was Apple's intention, but the way I see it now, could be.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.