Member Avatar for diafol

Hi All, had a bit of time to myself and started reading some poetry (out of choice!). This was prompted by the centenary of one of our greatest poets (in English anyway), Dylan Thomas. Hadn't read "Do not go Gentle into that Good Night" since I was in school. Reading it again bent me into a few shapes. I've been reading the old love classics by Donne and O'Reilly ("A White Rose"), but chasing poetry on the internet leaves me cold. Does anybody have any particular favourites?

RobertHDD commented: Very Good +0

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

The only poetry I've been able to stomach was Grooks by Piet Hein, unless you count Asimov's Lecherous Limericks.

I have to say I'm not much of a poetry afficionado, but I do know a good source that might help you with the chasing...go to www.gutenberg.org. Lots of books (literature, poetry, a whole bunch of great stuff!) and it's searchable.

And no, I'm not the owner of the site...but I did do a short stint as a transcriber back in the day.

And I LOVED Asimov's limerick book!

Like others, I'm not a big buff of poetry. I guess I get my dose of poetry from well-written song lyrics.

English is not my first language, so that plays into it too.

I do remember, however, that during the teenage period when I was a hardcore fan of The Doors, I got a copy of Jim Morrison's poem collection book and found it pretty wonderful, and much better than the lyrics of his songs, which were already pretty good to begin with.

Other than that, I haven't really delved too much into poetry beyond what I was forced to in English class, which was pretty rudimentary, given that they were "second language" courses.

Member Avatar for diafol

I loved the Ancient Mariner when I was in school. Will give that another look - forgot all about it. JimMo - love his music, never read his poetry - thanks Mike, will have a look.

The poetry of Milton,Shelley is very classic and amazing.you can find the most famous piece of theme,it is really deserve to be read.

Member Avatar for Warrens80

Poetry is one thing in life that I find enjoyable. I love reading it and do somewhat consider myself a poet. Im particularly fond of love poetry which I mostly dabble in, I guess it's easy when your trying swoon a girl

Member Avatar for diafol

I guess it's easy when your trying swoon a girl

Don't you mean "when you're trying to woo a girl"? Care to share any of your poems?

I doubt if the following will still work.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I'm not much of a fan of poetry. But I recently went out and purchased and read Romeo and Juliet. There's some great stuff in there.

I school we had to read some of Shakespeare's sonnets. I think he wrote 121 of them. Just marvellous! I don't get it how you can create rhyming beauty in such a strict form as a sonnet. You must be a master to be able to do that.

Member Avatar for diafol

Same. Sonnet 116. Love that. Think he wrote over 150 of them.

Member Avatar for Warrens80

@diafol if I shared my poems with you then you would have just as much success as me and I can't have that ;)

commented: Heh heh. V. good +0

Roses are red
Violets are blue
All so true
As my love for you

@Lardmeister: did you read my very first post here?

William Shakespear a very good poet story to read

Member Avatar for diafol

I like the Kipling and Frost.

If I may, a Portuguese poet Fernando Pessoa, you know? For me the greatest Portuguese poet. (is translated into English).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.