I am having a damn big problem, but i know i am okay. often people say its bad to spend too much of your time reading. Is it?
I find it good and it suits me. Some say I think too much of simple things. Is that bad?

I enjoy reading novels. they are my perfect companion. Is there a problem in doing this?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I don't think there ever is a problem with reading... i mean, i know for a fact that the average person who graduates from college/university will not pick more than a few books for the rest of their life time...

Pursuing reading is more of a personal thing. I for one, love to read, yet i am not even in college yet (and i know i will still pursue reading). My dad, he loves reading and still reads actively (excepts he likes to listen to books now using audibles and use the kindle app) and he has his PhD which he got some time ago. My grandfather still loves to read actively, except he prefers the traditional paper books (yet he hates reading newspapers...). Also, the genre of reading is going to be different as you get older. When your a child, you stories and tales. When your a (pre) teen, you begin reading novels and start picking up on a genre that you are not forced to read (for me it is biographies, personal development, finance/business, (computer) science, and scientific books, not sci-fi. I read stuff from people like Michio kaku, stephen covey, malcolm gladwell, and so on... i read from a lot of authors). When your an adult, you read whatever adults read (I am not an adult, so I am not sure what you guys like)

I am not sure who told you reading is bad, but as far as I can tell you, reading is great... it is like the key to learning :P Once you stop reading, you stop learning (that is how i see it)

My older son was always an avid reader. With him it was mostly books on science. He is now doing a post-doc in bio-physics. When my younger son was in early school he liked to read the Goosebumps books by R L Stein. His teacher at that time discouraged him. We, on the other hand, felt that the books were harmless fun and encouraged him to continue. Today he has a college degree in Computer Science and still reads. He also writes as a hobby.

While I enjoy TV and movies, I find that books exercise my imagination more. When you watch a movie you experience the sounds and images of someone else's imagination. When you read a book you experience the author's imagination via the words but your imagination provides the sights, sounds and smells. It is a collaborative effort. When I read, I can take in the book at my own speed. I can stop and savour a particularly interesting passage and I never miss a plot point because a character was mumbling or the musical score was obnoxiously loud.

The last few books I read were

A David Baldacci mystery
John Cleese's autobiography
The Naked Lady Who Stood on Her Head (a collection of psychiatric case histories)
The Born Again Skeptic's Guide to the Bible
A Tale of Two Cities (for the third time)
Analyzing Criminal Minds

My older son was always an avid reader. With him it was mostly books on science. He is now doing a post-doc in bio-physics. When my younger son was in early school he liked to read the Goosebumps books by R L Stein. His teacher at that time discouraged him. We, on the other hand, felt that the books were harmless fun and encouraged him to continue. Today he has a college degree in Computer Science and still reads. He also writes as a hobby.

Parenting done right.

A Tale of Two Cities (for the third time)

Ugh... charles dickens... why did he make this book so boring... I had to read this for a book report, I felt miserable reading it. Normally i hate on shakespeare, but dickens disapointed me with this one.

Analyzing Criminal Minds

I read that book for psychology... we weren't assigned to read it... but i just felt that the title was psychology related.

Thanks guys for your ideas,

Sometimes when i see people in the street i see novels. that is it. i keep on reading..

I like reading books by

Dan Brown
Robert Ludlum
Jonh Grisham
Wilbur Smith
James Patterson
Jeffrey Acher
Irving Wallace
Sidney Sheldon
Dean Knootz
Frederik Fosyth
and many more.......

Right now i am focusing on Dan Brown -The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons

I had to read this for a book report, I felt miserable reading it.

That's how I felt when I read it in high school. I read it again about six years later and had a totally different opinion. I always wondered why, in high school, they couldn't have included something like Childhood's End (Arthur C Clarke) or Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury) and skipped Of Human Bondage or Wuthering Heights. Fortunately they got us to read Huckleberry Finn (which I have also read a couple of times since).

Reading through books could gain some knowledge in the future I like reading through forums just to find something awesome or someone that needs help or when i want to check my facebook and all other sites then check them later on to find something very awesome waiting for me.

Kill?
On the contrary!

they couldn't have included something like Childhood's End (Arthur C Clarke) or Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury) and skipped Of Human Bondage or Wuthering Heights

We read fahrenheit 451 in middle school. The best book we were given in High school, so far, was All Quite On The Western Front.

All Quite on the Western Front wasnt that about the first world war

@Robert, Yes. It was about the first world war and it was from the perspective of a german soldier fighting on the Western Front, France, and a bit in russia.

Bravo for me now i know i got a brain lol and plus that was a lucky guess

The novels that I had to read in highschool that I liked were:
The Chrysalids
St Joan (Bernard Shaw play)

We did To Kill a Mockingbird too but I found that really boring and predictable.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.