Gosh. I feel like I can't remember ANYTHING from my tests. I went to a 2-week camp in Tampa, FL and recieved my MCSE, but I always have to ask questions on how to do simple stuff. I feel like I should have waited until after college or atleast until I had more experience. My highest score of the 7 tests was an 890 :-|.

Someone tell me that I didn't mess up, lol. :sad:

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by jwenting

Oh boy it's so nice to know I'm not alone, I did MCSE in 2000 and I felt exact same as you do now. Don't worry the school of hard knocks will see you through, most of the curriculum is a crock of shit miles away from the real world anyway, but at a minimum it gives you enough to have an idea of where to start with things.

I did the upgrade course for W2k and active directory, I failed it miserably, but I still had a job and migrated NT 4 to 2000 and then 2003 without too much trouble (in the end)

Now I gave up all that Admin headache and became a developer instead, but I don't regret all that heartache it made me the man I am today HALLELUJAH !

Company I worked for rejected any application from MCSE people without at least 5 years work experience to back it up for that very reason.

Far too easy to pass by just cramming a few days or weeks for a lot of people, and the knowledge gained not just evaporates rapidly but isn't very applicable to realworld scenarios anyway.

MCSE is for a specific version of a product, plus it has an expiry period.
You have to retake the exams every few years for a specific product (though the reexamination may be shorter, I never checked) AND redo everything for each new version of that product for which a new exam is made available (there may be a shorter upgrade exam focussing mainly on the new functionality, check the web or Microsoft educational whatever).

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.