Gosh. I feel like I can't remember ANYTHING from my tests. I went to a 2-week camp in Tampa, FL and recieved my MCSE, but I always have to ask questions on how to do simple stuff. I feel like I should have waited until after college or atleast until I had more experience. My highest score of the 7 tests was an 890 :-|.

Someone tell me that I didn't mess up, lol. :sad:

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Oh boy it's so nice to know I'm not alone, I did MCSE in 2000 and I felt exact same as you do now. Don't worry the school of hard knocks will see you through, most of the curriculum is a crock of shit miles away from the real world anyway, but at a minimum it gives you enough to have an idea of where to start with things.

I did the upgrade course for W2k and active directory, I failed it miserably, but I still had a job and migrated NT 4 to 2000 and then 2003 without too much trouble (in the end)

Now I gave up all that Admin headache and became a developer instead, but I don't regret all that heartache it made me the man I am today HALLELUJAH !

Company I worked for rejected any application from MCSE people without at least 5 years work experience to back it up for that very reason.

Far too easy to pass by just cramming a few days or weeks for a lot of people, and the knowledge gained not just evaporates rapidly but isn't very applicable to realworld scenarios anyway.

What tests do you have to take when new versions are released?

MCSE is for a specific version of a product, plus it has an expiry period.
You have to retake the exams every few years for a specific product (though the reexamination may be shorter, I never checked) AND redo everything for each new version of that product for which a new exam is made available (there may be a shorter upgrade exam focussing mainly on the new functionality, check the web or Microsoft educational whatever).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.