I'm a recent 1st class Computer Science graduate earning a reasonably good amount of money.

Ever since I can remember, I have an intense desire to create something meaningful using the skills I have - something world-changing as dramatic as that may sound. I want to make people's lives better, provide a solution to the big problems, innovate.

To achieve this I believe the following characteristics are important:
1) Finding a team of like minded people but different skill sets, and ideally from different disciplines
2) Finding others who are equally motivated by the desire to create something that betters the lives of people on this planet, with their personal monetary gains taking second place to the aforementioned goal. You can't persevere through adversity if you're only in it for the money.
3) An existing income stream with plenty of free time to pursue goals/discuss ideas

I would like to gather a group of like minded people who fit this criteria, and engage in discussion of ideas, and simply see where it leads. Please join me if you're interested. Send me a private message, leave your email, or let me know another way to reach you.

Recommended Answers

All 69 Replies

Is there a certain requirement to what skill sets the person must have...? And is this innovation about a drink company that was supposed to be launched mid 2014...?

You must have read a lot of my past posts, or you've got a great memory. Well done either way.

It isn't about that. The idea you refer to was to create and develop a nutritional drink which contains five portions of fruits and veg within it - as a smoothie of sorts. I followed that through, and spoke to some experts in the field, and found that fruits/vegetables lose much of their nutritional value when they're converted into liquid format. The Science does not support the idea, hence the product will be of no benefit to people, although with some marketing to mask that fact I'm sure a company like that can be created. Like I said - I want to make a difference. And on a larger scale.

As for skillsets, I think everyone who has a similar goal to me (which I don't expect many people of) will be able to contribute in different ways. My ideal team however, would be:
* 3 computer scientists/computing graduates
* 2 graphic designers/artists
* 2 creative people/product developers
* 3 people with marketing backgrounds/sales skills

Background experience is great, but in my opinion the drive and persistance to make something succeed will win over that anyday. If you have the drive you will be able to spend time in learning what you do not, but if you're working for the paycheck you won't even use your background/experience to its full potential. Hence I'd want to hear from anyone.

How about Digital Marketer, am talking about Myself. :p

^^ Welcome aboard! I've sent you a private message. Let's start talking, and we will see where it leads.

asif: you are looking for people with goals that are equal to your own, but you are way too vague about what your goals are.

be more specific: a person with great skills will be worth a fortune working on revolutionairy product A, yet useless on revolutionary product B, because he's not as interested in it.

Don't go check for every single profile now, and risk to have to admit later "sorry, we can't use your skills for the product we've chosen".

First decide what it is you want to do.

given his history he sounds suspiciously like someone who sets up small tech companies to get venture capital, then sucks them dry of funding, closes down, disappears, and starts again under a new name...
Common scam, got to wonder why venture capitalists (and wannabe employees) still fall for it.

Am I the only one that read that post in the voice of one of those guys on those late night commercials, trying to sell their 3 step plan to wealth?

It reminded me of season 1 of Silicon Valley where, at the tech gala, every presenter claimed that their software would "change the world". BUT WAIT!!!, if you buy now you can get TWO world changing software packages for the same low, low price of just three easy payments of $19.95 (a $400 value). Order now.

Being a new resident of Silicon Valley, I can attest that the game being played is pretty clear to everyone here. But I guess that for some, it's still a mystery, so let me clear that up.

As a skilled professional, the start-up game goes like this: you join a VC-based startup, spend a few years pretending and claiming high and wide that what you are doing will change the world, all this time betting that by the time your startup runs out of VC money everyone will be sold on the idea that the "product" is revolutionary, and if so, an IPO is made, you cash in on your stocks and then you quietly disappear along with any potential future for that world-changing "product". To the outside, it looks like it's all about changing the world, but on the inside, it's all about betting on when the IPO will happen, if it happens. If you bet wrong, go back to the start, do not collect 200$.

As a manager (i.e., running a startup), the startup game is played by fishing for a team of young naive tech-hopefuls through some vague vision of changing the world, getting them to work for free to come up with an idea and/or prototype to present to VCs. Then, you ride that cash-cow for as long as you can still continue to pretend to the world like you are going to change the world, or for as long as you can still pretend to your employees that an IPO is coming soon, whichever comes first. If an IPO comes, your home free, if not, go back to the start, do not collect 200$.

It's the oldest game in the book: everybody lies to everybody else, and at the end, it's the ones who lie to themselves that end up losing.

The tech gala montage in season 1 of Silicon Valley was indeed a very nice eerie depiction of that whole game. And the whole thing shows well how hard it can be to pick out the naive from the pretenders, which is the name of the game, picking out the naive to take advantage of them, and stand clear of the pretenders. Preditor and prey, dog eat dog.

That said, Silicon Valley is mostly full of large established companies that do change the world for the better through innovation and high-end research. And they are playing the long game, and are generally staffed by all the people who don't want to play the startup game or got tired of it, or just want to put their skills to good use instead of pretending to. But yeah, there are also those VC-backed startups that are essentially just a big empty office space with a secretary at the front desk and a CEO cashing in from the comfort of his expensive home in the hills or the city.

Sorry for ranting a bit, just wanted to make things clear before people jump into a game they might not understand yet. And some people understand this game perfectly well and jump in it willingly.

commented: You hit the nail on the head +0
commented: Make that two nails. +0

Wow.

@jwenting, @pixelsoul, @reverendjim, @mike_2000_17 if you're all done patting eachother on the back for the above nonsense, then let me say this...

Ever considered that this might just be a genuine person stating their true thoughts and feelings? You all sound like those people that see the news report a robbery and suddenly start thinking everyone is out to get you. I hadn't even heard about this scam. I doubt any of you would take my words as evidence so if you look at my history of some 300 posts on this site that I've made over the period of 5 or so years - usually relates in these topics:
* Help with Java/PHP/Programming problem
* Gaining advice on different business endeavours I've tried/want to try
* Expressing my disdain for joining a company and building a conventional career

Does that not sound like I really am a Computer Science graduate, with ambitions to start a company, and make a big impact in the world? Just because I want to contact someone personally and discuss ideas on what to work on/gather a team of professionals you want to jump to the conclusion that I'm trying to rip them off using some elaborate scam? From my understanding of scams they usually begin with a promise of big money, my earlier post pretty much stated I want someone who wants to discuss ideas and work together to build something that really helps humanity/adds value to people's lives.

Those responses have really pissed me off, and I won't be responding again inside this thread so feel free to continue patting eachother or whatever else you guys do in your free time.

I'm not patting myself on the back. I'm simply speaking from the point of view of someone who, over the last 35 years has seen an awful lot of sizzle but not a lot of steak to go with it.

You have every right to be offended, just as we have every right to our opinions.

commented: Yep, straight to the point +0

Help with Java/PHP/Programming problem
* Expressing my disdain for joining a company and building a conventional career
Does that not sound like I really am a Computer Science graduate, with ambitions to start a company, and make a big impact in the world?

I have done all of those... and look at me... I am arguably a mess ;)

commented: Can confirm, is mess. See OP avatar for proof +0

Man that OP made we want to throw up. Seriously the people who talk/think like that are either con-men or self-delusional. Neither make good entrepeneurs.

Almost everyone who actually changes the world didn't set out to do so. Rather they had something they were passionate about (be in hospital borne infections, electricity, convient computing, website design, etc...), thus knew a lot about, before they found an idea/product that they knew was feasible but had not been created/exploited yet. Then it just so happens that the idea/product changes the world. You can't know (A) what is needed and (B) what is feasible until you've spend years learning about the topic/area (as was demonstrated by your failed drink project).

fruits/vegetables lose much of their nutritional value when they're converted into liquid format

The experts I spoke to said all you lose with juiced fruits and veg is fibre, and that is only because some juicing methods remove fruit and veg skins/peels.

I leave skins on most veg and some fruits and whack then through a blender.

Mmmmmm

That expert probably was thinking not of juicing but distilling :)

Distilling fruit juice?
I guess the distilate would taste like a watery sugarless mess...

hmm, lots of liquers, cider, brandy, out there...
Distilled wine is a popular drink in parts of France and Germany, probably elsewhere.

Wow.
@jwenting, @pixelsoul, @reverendjim, @mike_2000_17 if you're all done patting eachother on the back for the above nonsense, then let me say this...

if warning people for possible trouble is nonsense .... you really know how to radiate trust and reliability.

Ever considered that this might just be a genuine person stating their true thoughts and feelings?

actually, yes. The first time you posted a search like this. At which point (even) I managed to find flaws that would immediately send you back to start.

You all sound like those people that see the news report a robbery and suddenly start thinking everyone is out to get you. I hadn't even heard about this scam.

That is, because all of them watch the news and/or read newspapers, meaning: they do know what goes on in the world. No, they don't assume everybody is 'about to get them', but they have enough common sense to notice a few red flags here.
You want to become a successfull entrepreneur, yet you have "never heard of this scam" ? It's actually not a 'scam', it's a way a lot of companies work these days, not really a scame, all be it not very ethical.

I doubt any of you would take my words as evidence so if you look at my history of some 300 posts on this site that I've made over the period of 5 or so years - usually relates in these topics:
* Help with Java/PHP/Programming problem

Does that not sound like I really am a Computer Science graduate, with ambitions to start a company, and make a big impact in the world?

To me, no, it doesn't.
1. someone seriously active would have managed to make more than (some) 300 posts in a time of 5 (or so) years. (s)he would also know that a forum of which the most members (if not all) became a member to discuss technical issues, might not be the best place to ask questions on 'how to startup a business'. The nuts-and-bolts of Java are one thing, those on starting for yourself, that's an entirely different world alltogether.
2. as stated earlier, I have read previous posts in which you wanted to start a business for yourself. Having a vague idea alone won't do it. Being idealistic and enthousiastic is not enough, reality will take karma's place and bite you if you're not realistic as well. You'll need more ... much more. (and at this stage, in this thread, you haven't even mentioned a vague idea... at this point having a vague idea would be a step up)
3. having a disdain for joining a company ... do you actually believe this make you qualified (or capable) to startup a business of your own? Have you considered the possibility that maybe other people might have a disdain to working for/with you ? Just a thought ...

Just because I want to contact someone personally and discuss ideas on what to work on/gather a team of professionals you want to jump to the conclusion that I'm trying to rip them off using some elaborate scam? From my understanding of scams they usually begin with a promise of big money, my earlier post pretty much stated I want someone who wants to discuss ideas and work together to build something that really helps humanity/adds value to people's lives.

From my understanding of scams they usually begin with a promise ... work together to build something that really helps humanity/adds value to people's lives

You are promising them they'll work on something that really helps humanity/adds value to people's lives, yet you haven't got a clue yet what it is you may end up working on. This IS a promise, indirectly of big money, since no matter how much of a humanitarian you are, you'll need an income to be able to pay your house/appartment, food, clothes, ... and so will the people who'll work with you. If anything is so ground-breaking, it will become commercial. If not by selling it to the (direct) clients, then through advertizing. (Facebook might be free to use, but do you think they don't generate money from it?)

You are now asking any profile to "step in on the project", but you haven't decided on a project yet, so you can't know what profiles you'll need. Isn't promising people they'll work on a worldchanging solution, while you have no idea whether you'll ever actually start, or whether you'll need their profiles, not scamming them? sure it is.

Those responses have really pissed me off, and I won't be responding again inside this thread so feel free to continue patting eachother or whatever else you guys do in your free time.

Those respones pissed you off? Why? If you were about 10% as serious about this as you claim to be, you would have read them, and learned how to change your approach. It may not have been brought in an uplifting spirit, but it was constructive criticism: They may have stated they don't trust it completely, or don't think it realistic, but they did mention WHY. Whether they support you or not, they just offered you a ton of information on how to improve your approach, and all you can say about it is:

You pissed me off, I won't respond here anymore ... phuh !!

Well, I can't help but think that your last response sounds a very lot like:

Screw you guys !!! I'm going home !!

commented: Spot on. +0

@jwenting: seems you're not in the "spirit" business. But perhaps, that's a very healty habbit! :) BTW. cider is not a product of distillation, it is made from apple juice.
When cider is distilled, you get my favorite spirit. It is called calvados. But I would not associate that with the apple juice it comes from.

Looking at the zoo in the USA of who is running for president, I would say design a computer program that allows people to elect good leadership from a good choice of candidates.

Member Avatar for diafol

You guys suck. I think this is a golden opportunity. Too good to miss. We should all sign up.

Looking at the zoo in the USA of who is running for president, I would say design a computer program that allows people to elect good leadership from a good choice of candidates.

Several problems with that:

1. People don't want good leadership, 51% will end up voting themselves the wealth of the other 49%
  2. The people who want to lead countries are rarely the ones you want to have as leaders

People don't want good leadership, 51% will end up voting themselves the wealth of the other 49%

That's actually rarely the case. A large portion of both democratic and republican voters actually vote against their best financial interests. Eg. Red states actually have higher (per capita) welfare bills and lower median incomes (thus pay less through taxes) than Blue states, yet Republican policies demonstrably favour the rich while Democratic policies favour the poor. Effectively in the US the Blue states vote to make themselves subsidize the Red states while the Red states vote to stop the Blue states giving them subsidies.

The problem with the USA (much of the world) is that people are forgetting what it means to be a good leader. A good leader is not the person who shouts the loudest, has the most campaign ads, nicest suits, or scariest arguments. A good leader is not the person who tells you want you want to hear or follows every whim of their electorate.

Though the other problem is that politicians are actually pathetically helpless now. Just look at how defeated Obama sounds when talking about mass shootings/gun control. Or how the Republican candidates beg forgiveness of their super donors. Elect any president you want but that person will not be able to enact effective gun control, they will not be able to bring in proper nationalized healthcare (like Canada or the UK), they will not be able to bring the well-paid manufacturing jobs back from China, they will not be able to stop international companies or mega-rich people escaping taxes by hiding their money in tax-havens.

Realistically, the most important choice the next POTUS will actually be able to make is whether to nuke the Middle East or not.

commented: Nail on the head! +0

The US will never nuke the middle east. There's no profit in it. Neither will they withdraw (same reason). War, on the other hand, generates tremendous profit to arms manufacturers, suppliers of clothing, food, services, private contractors for security, rebuilding infrastructure, etc. Look at what it did for Haliburton.

War, on the other hand, generates tremendous profit to arms manufacturers, suppliers of clothing, food, services, private contractors for security, rebuilding infrastructure, etc. Look at what it did for Haliburton.

The Middle East conflict is destroying wealth (both arms & infrastructure) and moving money from gov'ts to private companies & individuals. So really all it is doing is generating debt.

Member Avatar for diafol

Nuking the ME. Nothing would unite the WHOLE WORLD against the USA than that. Republicans probably wouldn't care though - until the global trade embargo on them started to bite. Even though these guys are congenitally stupid, they're not that stoopid. Money, guns, more money, more guns, mwahahahaaa.

... This whole argument from a guy trying to scam us about a false business completely changed gears into a more political debate about... erm... nukes? elections? politics? Middle East?

Member Avatar for diafol

Heh heh. Yes this is what we do. The original thread has run out of legs.
There is nothing more really to be said on it, so some of us old codgers are slinging some shite to see if any sticks. Deliberately provoking one another. He he. Nobody's bitten yet though.

So really all it is doing is generating debt.

When I said "profit", what I meant was profit for the corporations. It's merely another way of transferring money from one class (99%) via taxes to another (1%). Who cares if the 99% go into debt? As goes Kansas so will go the country. They'll just cut services to pay for it all.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.