There are some times in my life that I am sure there is a bug in my code but it turns up that the bug was in the language or in the system. This thread is talking about those times. Please share your own relevant experience.
I ll start sharing my today adventure that started at 2:00 am and ended at 11:00 am .If the problem is in the language there are some techniques to realize it after a while , I am creating a WebSocket application (with our own framework that has a WS layer) with OOP PHP server side and JS client side ( debugging is a bit strange in those cases) . The app is almost finished , but in 2:00 am I realized that even the basics stopped to work , client side the error messages (that didn't helped) seemed to have something to do when there where content of external iframe (like youtube) or even inline onmouseover events generated through WYSIWYG. Sever side there where no error at all and it was like the client closed the connection normally.
I thought that I have made some changes the last days but not checking those extended (luckily I kept backup both sides). So I started to move each layer out (one by one, and the PHP framework after the app... ) … till there was only the core in both sides. Client side I was using Firefox with Firebug (nothing new to that since till now I first develop in that environment and then check the others , the other environments had also been checked). Just a while before going to sleep feeling really awful I just tested in Chrome developer tools to see if there were any other messages , and … it was working, I deactivated Firebug in Firefox and it was working in Firefox as well.
I had a colleague some time ago that he always said PHP must have an error to that , or JS is not working or Firebug has a problem , Chrome developer tools don't work. All that for not recognizing that it is more probable to have errors in his code. But today I learned that after X hours , don't trust no one ;) ;)