Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice. After having to take about two years off from university due to suffering from viral meningitis, I have finally gone back and finished my undergraduate degree in Information Systems, which is a stream from the applied computer sciences.

I am very excited to finally be done, and am eager to get my resume out there with that being a part of my education. However, as for experience, I don't feel I may have gotten a lot from the current position that I've held, over the last two years.

I have worked on many automating processes using VBA with Excel and some SQL, and I have experience programming a legacy IBM system. I'm not sure, or not confident, that my "experience" is going to be good when it comes to applying for jobs related more to my field of study. I have experiences with other information systems related topics too but I don't want to drop my CV on this post. I guess I'm worried that I'm under qualified for a good career. I've been looking at possible jobs and the experience needed for many includes working on wide ranges of OS platforms, including Linux, Unix, Windows, and OS X; as well as multiple code languages, and so much more.

I want to start earning a good salary, better than what I've gotten without my degree. However, I'm finding myself being nervous that I'm still under qualified a good career and salary.

For background context as to why I'm nervous; before I went to university all my jobs were laborious in nature. I had no formal educational background and as a matter of fact, I didn't even finish high school when I was a kid. I had no confidence. University gave me a lot of confidence and it has been growing over the years. Now I feel nervous and my confidence is low.

In saying all this, tell it like it it please, based on your experience. You don't need to wear kid-gloves with me, I need facts.

Thanks for taking the time.

Michael

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

To make you feel better. You should read Why Can't Programmers.. Program?. It shows that a lot of people is worser than you. The most important skill is self-learning. Since, you are here helping and learning, you are better than most people already.

In short, you are not under qualified. You just need first job to guide your way and build your confident.

Well, I was feeling under-qualified based on what I was seeing out there for available positions. However, I don't feel that way today, I am going to apply at many positions and I'll see what comes of it all and not worry about things that I can't control.

I'll see what comes of it all and not worry about things that I can't control.

That's the best way to get started. The theory of what you learn and what is actually used in the workplace is quite different ;) Good luck with your search.

Well, I was feeling under-qualified based on what I was seeing out there for available positions.

Job "requirements" lie like a rug more often than not, and the actual requirements tend to be significantly lower. But by demanding the world, it's easier to catch the better talent from the start.

Every time I read a listing that says you must have XYZ, I'm reminded of more than one position in 2000 that required 10 years of Java experience.

In any job you will need to learn new things , having a stable background is a plus , another is the willing to learn more. You will be under – qualified in any job at the bigging. The notion that you are willing to learn more and that you would embrace the company programing language / framework / architecture is the most important one.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.