Recent events had me think of Franz Kafka. Specifically of changes to bureaucracy and legal actions to make it more challenging than necessary.

For a quick re-introduction to what Kafkaesque is, watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkPR4Rcf4ww

Another fine example of getting caught up in the bureaucracy is how we treat out homeless (arrest them, fine them, what else?) and immigrants. While I have little problem with illegal immigration if you listen closely many consider immigrants to be same as the illegals.

Our new immigration and asylum system is veering toward or now is "Kafkaesque" as the bureaucracy is set to reject them all.

The homeless which you can debate why this is rising is also becoming subject to Kafka ideas as not only did they lose it all but now they may be fined and get caught up in our legal system which is very expensive to deal with.

So that's two fronts our society is failing at which this thread's namesake is definitely not helping.

1. Immigration. A key component to slowing immigration is to help countries keep their citizens. That used to be the State department but under the current admin it has been gutted and we as a nation have fallen to "America First" and other ideas that actually produce more immigrants and asylum seekers.

2. Homeless. While there are many causes one stands out in the past year. Look at the cause of US personal bankruptcies and studies range from 62 to 68 % that medical costs were the primary factor. Here again is an attack on our own citizens, mostly the poor and middle class.

Need another way to attack your own? Raise tariffs and decimate your agriculture industry. But that's a discussion unto itself.

"This irregular channel of diplomacy it’s not as outlandish as it could be, is that correct?”

• Steve Castor

Isn't that sort of like a defense lawyer saying "My client killed six people, but it could have been worse, Right? He could have killed seven."

Is that the best defense they could muster up?

Day two of the hearings and I almost forgot to break this out.

Dump_on_Trump.jpg

Unfortunately, like everything else with Trump's name on it, it is of low quality. Nothing sticks to it. I hope that isn't a sign.

commented: "An attempt was made." Sideshow Bob defense? +0

The Deutsche Bank executive who signed off on Trump's loans has committed suicide, possibly in anticipation of being called to testify during the impeachment hearings. I suppose an obvious question would be was this an Epstein-style suicide?

commented: I'd take that bet. Along with another one on Randy Andy. +0

Thanks to Trump, who has normalized outrageous statements and behaviour, Danielle Stella, Ilhan Omar's GOP opponent in the next congressional election, has publicly called for Ms. Omar to be tried for treason and hanged. Anyone else worried about where the US is headed?

The scary story to me is about our hidden detention camps and immigration courts not open to public inspection.

"What we do in the shadows."

I rarely use the term Nazi but the US is heading toward such a system with secret courts, secret evidence and hidden detention camps. While we can find such information on the web today, the next two searches will inflame some. Mostly those that tend to support such systems. Sadly less so to those that find such systems abhorrent.

Here I go tossing a gas can into the fire:
https://www.google.com/search?q=nazi+hidden+courts+and+detainment
https://www.google.com/search?q=US+hidden+courts+and+detainment

I once had a nice article to link to about how the Nazi's started with such actions in secret then moved to doing them in public and how the public accepted them as they became the norm.

Not just Trump.
Wasn't it Bush who was in charge when the US started snatching people off the streets of foreign countries and torturing them in sectret camps outside the US (so no danger of any kind of legal support or due process). They called it "extraordinary rendition".

commented: Is that a Masonic word? https://www.google.com/search?q=Masonic+Order+of+the+Sectret+Monitor+Tie +0

Yup. Bush, although I seem to recall that th US did the snatching but farmed out the actual "enhanced interrogation" to third parties (at least on paper).

It will be interesting to see if the GOP follows their own "Garland Rule" should Ruth Bader Ginsburg decide to step down in 2020. Spoiler alert - of course they won't.

Joe Biden just released a video ad roundly stating Trump is anb incompetent fool who is being openly mocked by world leaders. I can' wait for Trumps reply, likely by tweet, I expect it will be something witty like "I know you are, but what am I?"