Last I heard parliament has approved Brexit, actually they approved the triggering of Article 50. I don't know what has happened about the House of Lords, they have to approve the triggering of Article 50 as well and are ever more pro-EU than Parliament so I expected there to be more trouble there but I haven't heard about anything but Trump since Trump Trumped.

Parliament will have to approve the final deal as well but it's unclear whether that vote will have the option to "undo" Article 50 or if it will be a choice between whatever shit deal they eek out and leaving the EU with no deal (Theresa May probably wants the latter).

PS Just checked and it looks like the Lords are set to amend the Article 50 Bill but are expected to pass it once amended.

AM pretty much has it. Lords in precarious situation. Their whole existence has been hanging in the balance for a long time. If they vote against A50, thwarting the will of a 4% majority of the population, they will be seen as out of touch, no longer fit for purpose etc. So they can bluster and tarry, but daren't do anything more. It.s a real shame. If we had a directly elected second chamber, they would be considered a more legitimate body and perhaps their decisions would not be taken as being against the "great" British public.

What a load of old twaddle. Brexit will mean Britain, whatever that means, will be permanently divided anyway. Whatever is decided, whatever ammendments. I keep thinking that I.m going to wake up any minute.

So Netenyahu, Trump, Brexit, May, Corbyn, KJ Un, Putin... what next Berlusconi wins Italian premiership again? There.s a reason why being of average intelligence is not good. Not good at all. Stupid people tell lies that only stupid people believe (or want to believe). Are there so few of us that see through all this blatant bullshit, showmanship and pocket-lining?

I.m almost tempted to hope for a mass economic collapse in the UK just to remind people why we have representative decision-making not a direct one. Plebiscites are rare animals thankfully. Dog knows what mass extinction event the great unwashed will throw at us next.

What did Gracchus say in the hilarious film? ... I think he knows what Rome is. Rome is the mob. Conjure magic for them and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they'll roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it's the sand of the coliseum. He'll bring them death - and they will love him for it. ...

If we had a directly elected second chamber,

It doesn't matter if the Lords is elected or not it is the power of the tabloids that is the problem. The Commons is elected and is ~2/3 pro-Remain but voted through Article 50 with relatively little faff after the tabloids called the judges who upheld the power of Parliament over the power of the executive/royal perogative "enemies of the people". The Lords have less to lose since they have long/life-time terms and a very large number are cross-party so aren't under any party's whip, and being appointed they don't have to answer to the angry electorate directly.

If people still understood the purpose of all the checks and balances in the system rather than the recent cultural myth that the more "democratic" things are the better it is - just how well "democratizing" news has turned out...

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.