hi im hoping someone can help,
I've been updating my website recently and noticed that for some reason when you navigate the pages after a few seconds of landing on any page it sudenly reverts to a different page, ive had various people test on multiple browsers and operating systems and on pc and mobile, and it does the same thing. has anyone ele come across this problem?

thanks Sandra

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

That's incredibly strange. What page does it revert to? Since you say it's across multiple browsers and platforms, I guess we can rule out browser toolbars and extensions. It is most likely JavaScript causing this. It could be a third party ad, or some type of JavaScript plugin, etc.

What page is this? I might be able to track down the offending JavaScript for you.

it reverts to my products page i hadn't thought of JavaScript i'll have a look at that,
the website if i'm allowed to share the link? is www.fbjewellery.co.uk

ohhh i think i might have found it theres an odd meta tag telling it to refresh to products, i've been trying to figure this out for weeks lol and there it is in front of my face lol. lets see if getting rid of that helps.

Yes you can share the link as long as it's relevant and useful to the discussion. Just as long as it's not a blatant solicitation.

all pages have now been changed so that they no longer refresh to the product pages, re-uploaded to server checked and its still doing it :-( now i'm confused lol.

A meta tag is not going to refresh a browser. It needs to be javascript. There definitely is some rogue javascript going on somewhere here.

Oh do you mean a meta refresh tag?!

Here it is ... <meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="15; url=http://www.fbjewellery.co.uk/products.html"> ... Clear as day, telling me to refresh the page to products.html after 15 seconds.

the problem is for some reason it won't let me delete it, ive been using web plus x8 and im not overly impressed with it always used dreamweaver in the past and when aat uni, web plus seem to add lots that you don't ask it to and then locks it so it can't be deleted? very odd, i'll keep trying.

I have no idea what Web Plus x8 is but you need to delete that line. Use Dreamweaver, or even Notepad or any plain text editor.

I'd suggest using something like SquareSpace for this kind of site, rather than attempting to build it yourself. It has an e-commerce module built-in and plenty of easy templates to choose from.

A note unrelated to the original question, when at 100% zoom, I can only see 2/3 of the page, I need to scroll right to see the whole thing (or zoom out to about 80%).

Pty, if the op is knowledgeable enough in web development to want to build something from scratch, and they are actively working to improve their skills, why point them in the direction of using an out of the box tool like square space? At the end of the day, it's just going to be limiting and then they'll be stuck with it.

True, and if she wants to continue and learn then fair play, and I hope she manages to build something great.

However, she's using a discontinued tool that outputs unmaintainable HTML, and developing her site clearly isn't her goal; letting people know about her jewelry (which looks fantastic, by the way Sanda) is.

Plus, as there's a products tab on her site, one would expect that some kind of 'web shop' is on the radar. That won't be doable in Webplus, and it's not the easiest thing to implement from scratch at the best of times.

Pty thanks for commenting but yeah I'm not looking for a quick fix drag and drop, I qualified in Web design a long time ago and so whilst I'm a little rusty I prefer to code and update the site myself.
Thanks all for the advice I can see the problem I just need to find a way to fix it, unfortunately I'm stuck with Web plus for now as it was more affordable than my preferred choice and I don't have time to do it all in notepad etc. If anyone has ever used Web plus and found a way to get it to do what I want it to do any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again

Found the problem and fixed thank you dani for your advice very greatful xx

And what is your preferred choice? I'm not familiar with Web Plus. However, there are many free code editors out there. Personally I use Zend Studio, which isn't free itself but it's a fork of Eclipse, which is free.

Back when I had a Mac I absolutely loved Coda.

My preferred choice is dreamweaver I've been using it for years but sadly can't afford to get it right now. Thanks for all your help.

Wow, is Dreamweaver still around?! I used to use Macromedia Dreamweaver back in 1999, and then it kind of fell out of popularity because it generated really bulky and proprietary markup. I was sure that Adobe killed it off when they acquired Macromedia.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.