I am doing a project for my math class in which I have to choose a topic and connect math concepts to it, and I chose video games. Possible concepts: Quadratics, vectors, probability, trigonometry, statistics, etc. I know this is probably a long shot but anything helps. In what ways is math connected to video games? Or, if you think this is a terrible topic to write a 6 page report on, please tell me.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

The probability theory is closely related to games, for example, the probability of falling loot from dead enemies depending on the player's input data.

commented: This is highly probable. Or rather significantly more likely than probable. +0

An understanding of quaternions always helps when moving your spaceship or whatever else through 3D space.

commented: Add time and you're moving! +0

Physics engines for video games covers all the non-stochastic topics. Turn-based strategy games usually involve lots of probability & statistics -> hit chance, randomized damage. All deck-building videogames involve tons of probability & statistics.

You mention quadratics and vectors and stuff. A very simple videogame from yesteryear had two parties, A and B, shooting cannonballs at each other from opposite sides of a simple 2D screen -- a "side-scrolling shooter," without any scrolling (though you could always fancy it up with scrolling, if you wanted a bigger playfield than would fit on the screen). Each player specified an angle of gun elevation, and an amount of gunpowder (the more gunpowder, the faster the cannonball came out of the cannon, the further it would go horizontally, etc.) The program then displayed the trajectory of the cannonball as it went along, and blew something up wherever it landed. (Whoever blew up the opponent's cannon, won the game.)
Trajectories are parabolas - - which are quadratics - - and the cannonball's initial velocity is a vector of magnitude cannon's-muzzle-velocity in the direction the cannon is aimed, i.e. "at an angle" to both the horizontal and vertical axes, which you would have to separate it into X and Y components using trigonometry. I don't know if this is the sort of thing you're talking about, but it's easy to explain, easy to program, easy to display, etc. - - no fooling around with the mechanics of modern videogame frameworks etc. Just draw lines and shapes on a bitmapped flat screen. You could probably think of all kinds of variations - - multiple targets, multiple guns, every so often have a bird or plane or anti-cannonball flak come out that your cannonball hits and gets its velocity or angle of travel changed, so you have to change the quadratic equation from that point forward... or something. :-) I'm sure your teacher doesn't expect miracles.Good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.