How Would I take A Picture Of My Desktop And Post It At A Forum As An JPG?

I'd also like to know how to turn a link into jpg, I've actually done this once in MS Paint but I don't know how I did it.

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

I'd also like to know how to turn a link into jpg, I've actually done this once in MS Paint but I don't know how I did it.

I use TinyResMeter for screen grabs. It's tiny, easy, and requires no installation.

Attaching files is easy, too. Just scroll down to Additional Options and select Manage attachments.

Unless you are referring to linking a graphic from another site...

In Windows, simply push the "Print Screen" key, then open a program such as Paintbrush, and paste it in. For a single window, you can use Alt+Print Screen. This is really simple and doesn't support any fancy options like a timer or anything like that, but it "should" work across all (AFAIK) windows desktops.

In Windows, simply push the "Print Screen" key, then open a program such as Paintbrush, and paste it in. For a single window, you can use Alt+Print Screen. This is really simple and doesn't support any fancy options like a timer or anything like that, but it "should" work across all (AFAIK) windows desktops.

yup yup! it's as simple as that... I've been using the "Print Screen" key since time imemorial... after pressing on the prtscrn key, you can paste it on any program you want it on... Paintbrush, MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Photoshop, so on and so forth... but if you want it to be saved as jpeg, paste it in a program that saves files in .jpg format such as Photoshop. You can then attach the jpg file on your posts... and voila! it should be done...

I think what some of the posters to this thread are losing sight of is the fact that the intent is to capture screens, not dink around with copy-and-paste and graphic-manipulation programs. The advantage of a program like TinyResMeter, SnagIt, or HyperSnap-DX is that a screen-grab is a one-step process. This allows a series of screen captures quickly, if needed--or at the very least, simplifies the process.

I think what some of the posters to this thread are losing sight of is the fact that the intent is to capture screens, not dink around with copy-and-paste and graphic-manipulation programs. The advantage of a program like TinyResMeter, SnagIt, or HyperSnap-DX is that a screen-grab is a one-step process. This allows a series of screen captures quickly, if needed--or at the very least, simplifies the process.

Not flame-baiting but I honestly fail to see how use of any one program over another would be more simple:

PrtScrn way:

1.) push Print Screen
2.) paste somewhere
3.) save

External App way:

1.) Load app.
2.) Tell it to capture
3.) Save shot

Each is just as easy and requires no more "dinking" than the other.

I used to use Print Screen but now my windows machine is connected to a mac usb keyboard, so there is no print screen key. So I use SnagIt now.

I honestly fail to see how use of any one program over another would be more simple:

PrtScrn way:

1.) push Print Screen
2.) paste somewhere
3.) save

External App way:

1.) Load app.
2.) Tell it to capture
3.) Save shot

For example, I run TinyResMeter all the time anyway--great utility, it monitors my memory, resources, and CPU usage--so a screen grab is [PrintScrn]. That's it, one step, repeat as needed. Save is automatic, to a directory called ScreenShots. Each filename is automatically incremented. Much simpler.

either way, it captures the screen... so, A Monkeys Uncle's question is answered making this thread solved... or is it??

A Monkeys Uncle, probably the one time you did it with MS Paint was with the printscreen key...

I guess it could be done like this. Click on insert image and give the link to the desktop screenshot.

[img]http://amarjyoti.com/screen.jpg[/img]

Wow, what a nice skin. What os is that?

Linux from scratch. ... :)

KDE is really cool you can make it look like XP , OS X or Gnome...

Amar

Member Avatar for

Thanks Guys, I simply used the print screen key, gathered it from my clipboard and uploaded it to ms paint, saved as a jpeg, and uploaded the jpeg from my files to a host server (PhotoBucket).

[IMG]http://img52.photobucket.com/albums/v160/Xaminor/WoW.jpg[/IMG]

yup yup! it's as simple as that... I've been using the "Print Screen" key since time imemorial... after pressing on the prtscrn key, you can paste it on any program you want it on... Paintbrush, MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Photoshop, so on and so forth... but if you want it to be saved as jpeg, paste it in a program that saves files in .jpg format such as Photoshop. You can then attach the jpg file on your posts... and voila! it should be done...

Just as simple as that, huh? Well........what if your Print Screen key doesn't work? I'm using Windows XP Home Edition and I have tried PrintScreen and ALT+PrintScreen and absolutely nothing happens. Why is that? Any suggestions from ANYONE?????

Depends on your keyboard I guess.

I have a Compaq here which only requires the key to be pressed. I mainly use a Microsoft Office keyboard, for which I first have to press the Flock key, then use the Shift key in combinations with the Printscreen key.

Just as simple as that, huh? Well........what if your Print Screen key doesn't work? I'm using Windows XP Home Edition and I have tried PrintScreen and ALT+PrintScreen and absolutely nothing happens. Why is that? Any suggestions from ANYONE?????

OK it really is simple and I do it all the time but the directions given left out a few things.

1. Tap the printscreen button once.

2. Open MSPaint (or your choice of paint programs)

3. Edit > paste.

4. Click on the pencil or brush next so that you can cut out what you don't want showing. Your pic will be as big as your screen. If you dont change tools your pic will get screwed up in the next step.

5. Look for the tiny almost not there dot at the center of the bottom and right side edges. You will get the double headed arrow when you find it and can "cut" your image by sliding it to the point that you want saved.

6. Then go to image. Drop down menu offers you several choices. Click Rotate.> By Angle >180. (see clickable thumbnail link) [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/Catchow/tutorials/th_howtodoascreenshot.jpg[/IMG]

7. When you have the pic looking the way you want it, you still have some other options available. If you want to resize it you can do that under Image > Stretch/Skew but if you are doing a screenshot to show someone the error you are getting, chances are that resizing will obscure the info so you need to save it now. File> Save > Name it and choose file type. (Default is bmp so use the drop down menu to choose jpg. It will tell you that there will be quality loss but say ok anyway. . . unless you have created a masterpiece, the quality loss is difficult to see.)

This is a good way to show errors messages that you dont understand to others on message boards. Here is a screen shot I did of an error that I was unable to explain. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/Catchow/tutorials/vectra.jpg[/IMG]
The game developer was then able to understand what we were all fussing about.

Happy screen shotting!

how to inesrt image in forum therad path was C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop anyone help me ...

@rose.karell.... did you really have to reincarnate a historic thread...

And also, i am not sure what you mean with your question.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.