Hello everyone, I'm wrestling over the idea of buying an Apple 30 inch Cinema Display monitor.

Is it worth it? I'm worried that all my videos will end up looking stretched out at the maximum resolution!

Will I have to watch movies in small squares on the screen (shudder).

I'm also VERY worried that since the model was first put out in 2004, there's some awesome new (better) model coming out soon! Which I won't be able to buy because I'll already have bought the old model.

I've heard that the quality suffers as a result of the size. But I don't know enough. I've wrestled back and forth on this issue, can anyone advise me?

Also I've got an Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS video card, is it compatible and can I watch at full resolution?

Thank you for any help or advice.:sad:

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I'd like to post an update and a question.

I've got a Dell Dimension 9100 Intel Pentium 4, with a 3.2 GH processor and 3 GB of Ram. I've got an Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS video card.

But whenever I hooked up this computer to the Apple 30inch display I could not get my resolution above 1280x800

When i hooked the computer up to the 23inch Cinema Display i had no problem maximizing the resolution to 1920x.

THe problem is only on the 30inch. I heard that the Nvidia GeForce 7600GS has one single and one dual DVI slot, and only the dual will allow a full 2560x resolution on the 30 Inch display.

But switching the display plug from one slot to the other didn't help the matter, I still cannot raise the resolution past 1280x800

Can anyone please help? is it just impossible to get max resolution on a 30inch Apple Cinema display if you're not running an Apple pc?

Moved to better location. ;)

I am using the Apple 30" HD Cinema Display right now on my Dell workstation. I have the Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 video card. (Brand new computer, for those of you following my Alienware/Dell woes). My previous computer had a Geforce FX 5900 SE video card which couldn't even get this monitor to display anything. Therefore, I was using this monitor with my G5 mac until I was able to get this new Dell which is capable of running it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.