This has nothing to do with VB, but I have been reading some posts and most of them seem to be written in SMS language. Something like 'y is my prg nt wrkng ? Cld u hlp ?' I accept that writing messages using a cellphone keypad is tedious and so such abbreviated writing is ok, but here you are using a keyboard. And since most of us are programmers we are quite used to typing.

Reading and understanding these sort of SMS speak is quite tedious and sometimes erroneous. I personally feel that it is better to write properly so that the person reading the post (and who can help you with your problems !! ) do not get irritated and simply skip such posts.

What do you think ? :rolleyes:

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Aside from the fact that it's in our forum rules:
We strive to be a community geared towards the professional. We strongly encourage all posts to be in full-sentence English. Please do not use "leet" speak or "chatroom" speak. Additionally, use [bbcode] only when it is necessary to the comprehension of your post. Avoid using an excessive amount of [bbcode] to alter font styles.

Moved To Geeks Lounge (For discussion). I fully agree with you Aparnesh, in fact, I raise the question of: what kind of code are you writing using a cell phone keypad?? I have a bad enough time dealing with a VB IDE and a keyboard :cheesy:

Why d0 y0u th1nk th@t L33T 1$ h@rD t0 unD3®$tand? :cheesy:

Can't agree with ya more aparnesh. ;)

I can tolerate people who really can't spell, because sometimes English isn't their first language. What I can't stand is people who are just lazy. Good general rule of thumb: if people are too lazy to write the post properly, I'm too lazy to write a response.

That's the outlook I have. I don't think it's proper to close or delete posts from such members. But if they can't take the time to articulate a proper question, I can't take the time to articulate a proper answer.

We rely so much on body language when communicating that when reduced to text only it's a bit like trying to tie a knot with one hand. Therefore, in this medium, correct sentences - and particularly punctuation - are never more pertinent in their absence.

touche` to all of the above!

people who deliberately (which means in large quantity, and despite being told not to) continue to use SMS speak should be banned.

people who deliberately (which means in large quantity, and despite being told not to) continue to use SMS speak should be banned.

I don't think so, as cscgal said:

We strive to be a community geared towards the professional. We strongly encourage all posts to be in full-sentence English. Please do not use "leet" speak or "chatroom" speak. Additionally, use [bbcode] only when it is necessary to the comprehension of your post. Avoid using an excessive amount of [bbcode] to alter font styles.

There is no explicit rule against it, and most of the time will an gentle nudge in the right direction get the gramma' criminals back on track. Mostly it are (I think) just people who quickly registered and make an first post in the q&a boards who write in such style.

touche` to all of the above!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6vbKRQsq1k
watch that and then review your statement ;)

There is no hard set rule against using 1337 speak. There *is* a hard set rule against deliberately ignoring a moderator's warning.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.