Hello - First of all, to anyone who takes the time to read this post, thank you. I followed the rules, did a search to see if my particlar question may have been asked and answered, but found nothing, hence this post.

I am in the process of developing a site using Macromedia (now Adobe) Studio 8, i.e. Dreamweaver 8, Flash Pro 8, and Fireworks 8. I, of course, have virtually no money to invest in the necessary software to accomplish the following, and am told by web developers and savvy folks (thru other online forums) that the devil is in the details, i.e. making these scripts work together.

Simply put, on a lean budget, I would like to be able to do the following:

1. Membership - create/restrict/monitor, accept payments (e.g. PayPal, Authorize.net) - need to boot folks who try to access restricted areas

2. Forums - with typical features, private messaging, e-mailing, forwarding - emoticons like the ones on the right of this screen would be lovely

3. Blogs - want to give members their own "space" (predetermined size) w/n which to post pics, poetry, writings, blogs - all subject to prior review before public posting

I have been directed to open source site, have found free OS scripts (e.g. beehive for forums), OS-commerce for e-commerce, but am utterly ignorant as to (a) whether these will "Work" together, (b) what might be required to make them do so.

I most certainly do NOT want to compel members to have to re-enter their username/password to access the various features - thought I found a Godsend in OpenCrypt, must have misread, thought it was free - but, alas! It costs $112.50/year + $35 year thereafter - perhaps worth every penny but o/side of my initial budget (though it touts exactly all the features I could hope for in a membership software program).

Could someone please advise (i) if there is a free membership script available w/necessary functionality, and (ii) if there is some common factor I must look for (e.g. software written in same language, e.g. Perl) that will permit easy integration of all the above tools?

Please forgive me if I sound like the fool (I am..)

Thank you in advance for ANY assistance :lol: ,
Anais

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hello Anais,
this is the wrong forum to ask questions, you should ask them next time in the appropiate forum (in this case, web development -> php(I think)).

To get back to your question, most forum software like phpbb has solid login scripts, but you would have to isolate them from the rest of the forum.

My friend once found an good login system, I think it was this.

Hope it helped, bye.

Hi Anais, glad you found us. As Anonymusius says, this forum is just for introducing yourself to the community and for us to say hello back (hello, by theway, and welcome to DaniWeb.)

You should take a look in the web development category and post your questions in the most appropriate forums there, which could well be PHP if that is the kind of script you are looking for :)

Hello, Anonymusius - Thanks for your reply. I actually did not know if it was php or perl (based on my research I found programs that use both), but I will repost on the php forum.

I will also check out the link you referred me to.

Thaks for taking the time to respond to my query.
Anais

OK, thanks, Happy Geek - I guess I'll try php, tho I honestly don't know if that's what I need, it sounds as though that's where I should try first.

Many thanks for referring me to this site.

Anais

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.