Hello all, It is my first post :) I want your thoughts on this: Do you feel that because your parents may have supported you when you were younger, that you "owe" it to them to support them now? (Pay the bills they run up etc, just because they did it for you when you were younger and unable to work) Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I owe everything to my parents. I do it as a sign of gratitude for what they've done when I was nothing. After all, it is them you run to when in trouble. Paying their bills is really not a big thing. The question here is: did they obliged you to do it for them? You can give them a fair share if you can't pay it whole especially if they're not fit to work anymore.

but if you had children you would pay for there stuff so it a big everlasting circle

Not at all thats ya privilege!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello all, It is my first post :) I want your thoughts on this: Do you feel that because your parents may have supported you when you were younger, that you "owe" it to them to support them now? (Pay the bills they run up etc, just because they did it for you when you were younger and unable to work) Thanks.

No, at least not until the parents get really really old and can no longer support themselves. Its not your fault you were born -- :rolleyes:

Hello,

This one really depends on the family dynamics, and what the items in question are all about. You mention paying bills... did they take a vacation, and want you to pop for it, or did their car break down, and you got them a rental car for the time being?

When my folks come out to visit, we take care of the food bill, and once in a while I will cover for dinner at places, or if Dad asks for a part, I may go out and take care of it and never submit a recipt. But I am not paying their electric or water bills.

At some point, the question of nursing home / advanced age will come to my wife and I. Since we are not there yet, I cannot begin to speculate all the strings attached. A parent may move into a spare bedroom, or perhaps assisted living down the road and I may have to drive them to family gathering things, but that is a pleasure / honor of mine to be generous and take care of things.

I would rather pick up grandma, and get her to the birthday party safely, than to pull her car out of the ditch, replace the mailbox she hit, and attend the funeral.

All boils down to the family dynamics.

Christian

My parents wouldn't want my financial support, they're too proud of that.
And they don't need it either, my dad's pension is several times higher than my and my sister's combined incomes :)

Moral support, of course. I feel terrible I can't visit them more often than once a week now that my mom's in hospital due to my own medical problems.
Last time that happened I was there for them every other day at least despite it being an hour's driving either way for me.

if they need it, why not?
actually, i'm still living with my mom and i'm supporting her in both financial and moral aspect.
i'm doing this not simply because i "owe" her but because i "value" the love she had shown me

Everyone should love thier parents and all.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.