Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by mattyd

Sorry, I gotta be honest. My favorite thing about Thanksgiving is beaujolais nouveau. It's just such a great treat of a wine and only comes out this time of year.

Mashed Potatos are awesome. I just made them the other night from scratch (no fake, boxed potatos!); We had kielbasa, curried mashed potatos, and sauekraut for our Reformation Day meal (Oct. 31). It was so very good.

Thanksgiving: my family did not celebrate it so much-- we usually went out for Chinese food that day. I like Thanksgiving and all the food of course, but it never quite hits me in quite the same way as it might some people. Most think turkey, I think fried rice LOL.

And, who would vote for stuffing? Stuffing is okay, but it is what its name entails: stuffing-- it stuffs you (not just the turkey). A waste of stomach space (if you ask me) that could be reserved for mashed potatos and pecan pie.

Stuffing: wet, cooked bread that sometimes transfers salmonella.

Don't pass the stuffing. :p

Mashed Potatos are awesome. I just made them the other night from scratch (no fake, boxed potatos!); We had kielbasa, curried mashed potatos, and sauekraut for our Reformation Day meal (Oct. 31). It was so very good.

Hmm... do you come from a German background? I'll take sauerkraut and mashed potatoes over turkey any day...

Hmm... do you come from a German background? I'll take sauerkraut and mashed potatoes over turkey any day...

Yes, a very German(-American) background :cheesy:

I hate boxed instant mashed potatoes -- I refuse to eat them and will not eat in any resturant that serves them. We always have the traditional Thanksgiving day dinner (turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green-bean casserole, cranberries, turkey pie) and I always gain about a ton during that week. Thanksgiving is an American celebration that was inherited from British Harvest Day celebration, which was originally a religious holiday.

I'd have to say my favorite is the sweet potatoes my mom made with melted marshmallows on top and walnuts, brown sugar. Mmmmm...

Thanksgiving is an American celebration that was inherited from British Harvest Day celebration, which was originally a religious holiday.

Thats interesting, I've never heard that before. Thanksging is my favorite holiday. Christmas is fun, I just don't like the other 363 days of stress saving up for it, then all the shopping. No, I'm going with Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is cool. Christmas is good (but I feel it is overrated). New Years Eve? I do the same thing I always do on this night-- stay on the computer or watch DVD's with my girlfriend.

My fave holidays are Valentine's Day and Halloween. Valentine's Day can be very romantic and Halloween, well, I do not actually celebrate it but it represents to me the depths of Fall, hence, the final death of Summer (Summer is too long, hot, and I do not really dig all the expected outdoorsy activities. :lol: ) I like Fall and Winter.

Thanksgiving is good but it represents to me, truthfully, memories of the few times my family and I celebrated it with our extended family-- grandparents, aunts-- stressful. All my Mom did was complain about her relatives the whole drive home. "Thanksgiving!"

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.