Hi, Y'all. My name's not Ned Frankly. It's Jay. Ned's a nom-de-web that I've used for about 10 years now, and he shows no signs of giving up :) .

So... I'm in my mid forties, I've been a programmer in one language or another since I was 15 (yup, in the 70's). I'm currently a Sr. Software Engineer, working primarily in VB.net and C#.net with a little 'whatever is needed' thrown in.

It's not enough to be a one-language-pony anymore - we have to be flexible and tolerant. No language is better than another when taken out of context. Tell me the job you want done, I'll tell you the language I'd use.

Nice forum, and I enjoy helping new programmers work through the complexities of .net. If you're new to .net, keep one thing in mind - it's probably NOT as difficult as you think it is.

Thanks for having me!

(Oh, and I really am ordained. Ned just uses the title Rev. more often than I do).

Jay aka Ned Frankly

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Hi, Y'all. My name's not Ned Frankly. It's Jay. Ned's a nom-de-web that I've used for about 10 years now, and he shows no signs of giving up :) .

So... I'm in my mid forties, I've been a programmer in one language or another since I was 15 (yup, in the 70's). I'm currently a Sr. Software Engineer, working primarily in VB.net and C#.net with a little 'whatever is needed' thrown in.

It's not enough to be a one-language-pony anymore - we have to be flexible and tolerant. No language is better than another when taken out of context. Tell me the job you want done, I'll tell you the language I'd use.

Nice forum, and I enjoy helping new programmers work through the complexities of .net. If you're new to .net, keep one thing in mind - it's probably NOT as difficult as you think it is.

Thanks for having me!

(Oh, and I really am ordained. Ned just uses the title Rev. more often than I do).

Jay aka Ned Frankly

Hi Jay, tell me which IDE do you use for coding in vb.net and c#.net. Do you use visual studio or perhaps sharp develop? Welcome to daniweb btw

Thanks - I work in corporate America (meaning that I don't get to pick my tools as often as I'd like :)

We use VS2003 (not quite ready to go 2005 yet, but it's in the works). I'm one of those annoying old programmers who can actually code most anything in VI, PICO, or Notepad, but I learned long ago that a good IDE is much better in the end than the bragging rights 'hard core' programming provides.

I enjoy great tools (Visual Studio is not bad, but I'm always looking for better toys) so if you have any recommendations I'm all ears.

Thanks for the welcome!

Jay aka Ned

If you're fond of GUI builder's sharp develop is a great IDE.

It's almost identical to visual studio although lacks crystal report facilities and good integration with databases.

I agree, VS2003 is a great IDE. I had a free trial installed and I cried when it died, but VS express isn;t really that bad considering its free. Cha ching.

Hi Ned, a welcomely-doodle-doodly to DaniWeb.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.