Hi people,

Well I just got an invitation from my friend to work in his new pet project. But I am bit too unsure whether I really want to take part in his project.

Basically, he is building a web platform where users can easily select and put together computer hardware components to create their desired computer configuration. The platform also checks the components and ensures that all are compatible with each other.

His inspiration came from his own experience when built his first computer where he had to put together motherboards, memory cards, graphic cards and so on but was clueless about the compatibility. He went on to the internet and saw many others had the same problem.

Well, the idea does interest me. It can save tons of time and effort but what I am concerned about is whether there is already such a platform out there in the internet ? There is no point in reinventing the wheel, right ?

On top of that, I have my reservations whether people really want this kind of a platform and would appreciate it ?

So, I am stuck in a dilemma :rolleyes:. My smartie friend told me that he is nearing completion but needs me to tie up the loose strings and polish up the code. I have yet to decide. I guess my friend is seriously into this project but I am still wavering.

So my fellow techies, I seek your advice and thoughts. Do you really think that this project is worth its effort???

Thanks in advance! :eek::idea::p

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

No, with the variety, the constant changes, minor glitches, there's too many if's to consider. Not every brand is compatible with every other brand, unless your going to be making a cookie cutter sort of application. You would have to consider the specific specs for every piece of hardware out there, and I'm not sure if a very basic (socket 939's use DDR). I'm not sure of the scope, but if it's as wide as you make it out to be, it seems kind of unrealisable unless you spend nothing but time looking things up.

It can save tons of time and effort but what I am concerned about is whether there is already such a platform out there in the internet

Yes there is, it's in dutch, but with a little imagination you'll understand: alternate (click: PC-Builder)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.