I saw an ad for the Microsoft Zune recently, and was intrigued by it. I was wondering how Microsoft thinks its going to compete with Ipod's or Creative's digital media player in this arena. I recently did some research into it and realized that its starting at $249. The Zune is going to be 30 gigs. Where is Microsoft going to have any comparative advantage against Apple when the Zune is selling at the exact same price as the 30 gig Ipod? Considering all the troubles Apple had with the Ipod when it first released, I doubt that Microsoft will get it right the first time either. I am not willing to drop the $249 yet, but I did come across a company offering the Zune as a prize. I had to fill out a survey, but if I win the Zune it may have been worth it.

Anybody have any opinions on the Zune?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

yeah, have u read the specs for it?

all the "new features" sound very familiar - wifi, media player sync, upgradable system, slideshow .. hmm where have i heard that before? Oh yeah, its basicallyy a pocketpc with a hdd

Im still waiting for a zune here in the UK only to find out it may not be out here until 2008. Looks good though. Much rather have a microsoft mp3 than an apple..

Member Avatar for GreenDay2001

Well right now i am comfortable with my iPod. What do you want more if it plays your songs well, afterall these little things are for a specific purpose only, music.

I saw an ad for the Microsoft Zune recently, and was intrigued by it. I was wondering how Microsoft thinks its going to compete with Ipod's or Creative's digital media player in this arena. I recently did some research into it and realized that its starting at $249. The Zune is going to be 30 gigs. Where is Microsoft going to have any comparative advantage against Apple when the Zune is selling at the exact same price as the 30 gig Ipod? Considering all the troubles Apple had with the Ipod when it first released, I doubt that Microsoft will get it right the first time either. I am not willing to drop the $249 yet, but I did come across a company offering the Zune as a prize. I had to fill out a survey, but if I win the Zune it may have been worth it.

Anybody have any opinions on the Zune?

I forgot to mention, if anyone wants to take the survey, it is at <snipped> They are offering a Zune and a Palm Treo 680.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.