http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061119/secret_santa_061119/20061119?hub=World&s_name=

This is a nice story of a man giving money to help others,but what i find sad is not that he has cancer and dying,but that the US medical insurance companies will not cover his treatments.

Health Care in the USA sucks!!!!!!!!

They should put more effort into getting Health care taken care of instead of all this other crap going on.... (War,etc.)

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

did you even read the story? He is far from destitute, and IS indeed getting medical care.

But now, weak from chemotherapy and armed with a desire to pass on his belief in random kindness, Secret Santa has decided it's time to reveal his identity.

He is Larry Stewart, a 58-year-old businessman from the Kansas City suburb of Lee's Summit, Mo., who made his millions in cable television and long-distance telephone service.

If health care in USA is so bad why do people come here both legally and illegally from all over the world to get it? I have read a few of the horror stories from other socialized countries such as UK, canada and France. There is a two year waiting list to see a doctor -- where I live I can get an appointment within 24 hours if I need to.

I have read a few of the horror stories from other socialized countries such as UK, canada and France. There is a two year waiting list to see a doctor -- where I live I can get an appointment within 24 hours if I need to.

I'm not sure about the UK and France, but I think that Canada has very good health care. It's free, and the waiting lists aren't that long. Of course, some things will have long waiting lists; certain types of special scans and such can possibly have 1 year waiting lists, in which case it's faster to just head over to the US to get it done.

I do have to say though, that although US healthcare isn't free, it's very good healthcare, and the waiting lists are actually quite short.

Some call the American medical system "Superior" and in some ways it is: Medicine, advanced treatments, research, labs, doctors, support staff, training levels, rehabilitation, ethics, and funding. While this is indeed true we have to look at what fails this system-- the businesses behind the hospitals that manage and control the dispensation of said elements of the American medical system.

I have always been treated well, fairly, honestly, and with seemingly the highest regards when being seen by a medical professional. Our nation possesses that, in general, on a personal basis, but what we lack is a true window into the machinations of the corporate system that buys and sells doctors and their hospitals like livestock. We have little if any say in this system and rarely true "choice" in light of absurd insurance restrictions. American citizens have become the true test subject(s) both fiscally and in the realms of science in this health system. And, honestly, do the Billions spent on medical research actually cure anything significant or does it only prolong a state of suffering in the long run? Look at the statistics, not the heart-warming propaganda produced by Pfizer or Forest Labs.

For many reasons (including Healthcare) I would prefer to live in the UK or Canada. I don't mind "waiting in line". ;)

I think this is a case of "gass is always greener on the other side of the fence".

>>do the Billions spent on medical research actually cure anything significant
Of couse it does. One example: I went through angioplaty (heart) surgery a year ago. This was first approved for use in USA in 1994. And there have been some improvements since then. Hospital stay is only overnight. There are medical breakthroughs all the time -- just because Christopher Reeve and Michael J. Fox have not been cured does not mean a cure will never come.

I think this is a case of "gass is always greener on the other side of the fence".

>>do the Billions spent on medical research actually cure anything significant
Of couse it does. One example: I went through angioplaty (heart) surgery a year ago. This was first approved for use in USA in 1994. And there have been some improvements since then. Hospital stay is only overnight. There are medical breakthroughs all the time -- just because Christopher Reeve and Michael J. Fox have not been cured does not mean a cure will never come.

There are many breakthroughs that occur. I do not disagree with this. Lives are saved. But in the majority of cases, the symptoms are treated, not the root of the disease. This is Western medicine; Large companies do not make large profits from cures but from prolonged use of their products that simulate an awkward "improvement", that is, some symptoms digress while new conflicts grow from:

1. Side Effects from new treatement\ medicine
  2. The weakening of the human system from the chemicals, err, "medicines" :twisted: prescribed, hence, making the person(s) more sick in the long run

I am a huge supporter of science and research, but I will not sit here and say I am absolutely mad for the pathetic Health system of the U.S.

And sometimes, the grass is actually greener. Perhaps? :surprised

There are many breakthroughs that occur. I do not disagree with this. Lives are saved. But in the majority of cases, the symptoms are treated, not the root of the disease. This is Western medicine; Large companies do not make large profits from cures but from prolonged use of their products that simulate an awkward "improvement", that is, some symptoms digress while new conflicts grow from:

1. Side Effects from new treatement\ medicine
  2. The weakening of the human system from the chemicals, err, "medicines" :twisted: prescribed, hence, making the person(s) more sick in the long run

I am a huge supporter of science and research, but I will not sit here and say I am absolutely mad for the pathetic Health system of the U.S.

And sometimes, the grass is actually greener. Perhaps? :surprised

If you think you can do any better than those scientists -- be my guest! They will be more than happy to allow you to work along side them if you are qualified.

It is not the actual scientists I question. I am not, unfortunately, qualified to helm a multi-Billion dollar Pharmeceutical conglomerate, nor am I in the position to lobby Senators\ Congressmen in their decisions regarding national healthcare concerns and where their financially-inspired votes will fall.

Besides this, I am quite happy with our system. I just see the need for vast improvements. There are scores (see, 100's of 1000's, if not more) of American people who go daily without their prescribed medicine, (the very medicine that just might cure their ills) because they cannot afford to pay for it and they do not have insurance. Medicine has become the new Mercedes, Nike, Apple-- designer quality at designer prices. Capitalism run amock. How inspiring. :rolleyes:

Besides this, I am quite happy with our system. I just see the need for vast improvements. There are scores (see, 100's of 1000's, if not more) of American people who go daily without their prescribed medicine, (the very medicine that just might cure their ills) because they cannot afford to pay for it and they do not have insurance. Medicine has become the new Mercedes, Nike, Apple-- designer quality at designer prices. Capitalism run amock. How inspiring. :rolleyes:

I agree -- there is no such thing as a perfect system. I mostly disagree with the term "pathetic Health system of the U.S. " -- it is better than most.

I agree -- there is no such thing as a perfect system. I mostly disagree with the term "pathetic Health system of the U.S. " -- it is better than most.

Ancient Dragon:

I understand how you feel and you are correct; "pathetic" is a bit harsh in light of all the good our system does offer us. We are fortunate and I am blessed to have been born in this country.

Regards,
sharky_machine

Compare what we have to those living in developing countries. We have it better than most.

Compare what we have to those living in developing countries. We have it better than most.

manutd:

Yes, in general, that is true. :)

To get back to the issue at hand, I feel Larry Steward is just a representation of the goods in society, something we don't normally see. :)

Just an honest, good guy. I wish him the best.

Besides this, I am quite happy with our system. I just see the need for vast improvements. There are scores (see, 100's of 1000's, if not more) of American people who go daily without their prescribed medicine, (the very medicine that just might cure their ills) because they cannot afford to pay for it and they do not have insurance.

And there are those that could be helped by the correct medicine, but the insurance will only pay for cheaper, "kinda-like" medicine that is not adequate. The creater of XTree is one that I know of.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.