What kind of music do "geeks" listen to, while performing their geeky duties?

As a half-geek, I prefer rolling trancey bass-like techno-esque outings by bands such as the Prodigy, and hella-hardcore pulse techno like Angerfist. However, I may be caught enjoying a bit of evokative ultra-cheese pop, by the likes of Apoptygma Berzerk and Echo Image. At times, I may listen to re-jigged techno-classical. And sometimes, hard-rock/metal; System of a Down, Stratovarius, maybe even Cradle-of-Filth.

As a favorite, it's gotta be techno-dash-trance, but, it's gotta be just right...

Cast your votes.

mattyd commented: cool +1

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

What kind of music do "geeks" listen to, while performing their geeky duties?

As a half-geek, I prefer rolling trancey bass-like techno-esque outings by bands such as the Prodigy, and hella-hardcore pulse techno like Angerfist. However, I may be caught enjoying a bit of evokative ultra-cheese pop, by the likes of Apoptygma Berzerk and Echo Image. At times, I may listen to re-jigged techno-classical. And sometimes, hard-rock/metal; System of a Down, Stratovarius, maybe even Cradle-of-Filth.

As a favorite, it's gotta be techno-dash-trance, but, it's gotta be just right...

Cast your votes.

When I code I only usually listen to Iron Maiden. Empowering, epic, brilliant. Overall I like:

• Mozart
  • Ian Brown (The Stone Roses)
  • The Sisters of Mercy
  • Buckethead
  • Duran Duran
  • Prince
  • The Grateful Dead
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Syd Barrett
  • Tiger Army
  • Coheed and Cambria
  • The Cure
  • The Pogues
  • Tom Waites
  • FisherSpooner
  • Beastie Boys
  • The Petshop Boys
  • RAMMSTEIN
  • Music from video games: Final Fantasy, Vagrant Story, Brave Fencer Mushashi, RuneScape
  • Everything (EVERYTHING) 80's

Just to name a very few...

Regards,

~Matty

Music from video games: Final Fantasy, Vagrant Story, Brave Fencer Mushashi, RuneScape

Ah.. I forgot that =P I got badass remixes of some later FF tunes,

it's a pity it's easier, or sometimes only possible, to find MIDI versions of alot of good videogame music. Useful for remixes, not so good for general listening.

Oh, I did not see the poll. I voted for Electronica && Metal-- I guess it let me do that LOL.

Yes, most vid game mp3's I find are not great quality and actually quite twitchy and chirpy, but I do love them so. I suffer through their imperfections, unlike any other mp3's that must be reasonably perfect to be burned for my library.

I like many types of music and have gone through many transitions over the years. I always come back to 80's Goth\ New Wave stuff (Sisters, The Cult, New Order) that I grew up with through high school. It always takes me to a nice place. I listened to Rap for many years (up until this Summer), but I came to the point where I realized its degenerate and violent\ Masochistic lyrics were just too much to tolerate anymore. I had to put it down. I still love the beats and the synths of Rap though.

I think eventually I will just listen to Classical (and Iron Maiden ;) )

Cheers,
sharky_machine

I prefer classical (but don't like opera) and other pop music of my day. I hate most of the music made during the 80s and 90s, but my parents said the same thing about my generation's music too. I don't watch music videos very often but the ones I have seen were pretty good, so I suppose the music being written today is better than the music during the past 20 years.

The best test of any music is the test of time. If a song is still heard 20 years from now then it is probably a good one.

Rock and Electronic for me.

I mostly listen to rap, currently there are some nerd rappers who make so called "nerdcore" where I listen a lot to.

Link to nerdcore song, I just love the C++ reference :P. It are the lyrics but click on download song to hear it. There isn't that much good nerdcore though.

I mostly listen to rap, currently there are some nerd rappers who make so called "nerdcore" where I listen a lot to.

Link to nerdcore song, I just love the C++ reference :P. It are the lyrics but click on download song to hear it. There isn't that much good nerdcore though.

Thanks much for the link-- great lyrics! :cheesy:

"I control my flow better than TCP"

"Your mom circulates like a public key,
Servicing more requests than HTTP." :twisted:

"I'm an unsigned long int and you're an 8-bit char." :eek:

Nice.

Regards,
~sharky_machine

About the only music I listen to is Pop and Rock. Favorite artists include U2, Switchfoot, Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson. I also have a huge collection of classic rock which I used to listen to lots, but not so much any more.

I listen to weird stuff, like Angels and Airwaves, Plus 44, Blink-182, Weird Al, stuff like that. Somehow it helps me concentrate.

I listen to punk & metal, it helps me relax although that might sound strange...

I suppose the music being written today is better than the music during the past 20 years.

hmm..Perhaps with bands like coldplay and muse or what are you reffering to?

I listen to punk & metal, it helps me relax although that might sound strange...

hmm..Perhaps with bands like coldplay and muse or what are you reffering to?

i'm going to see muse tomorrow, if i can get a ticket from a tout at wembley =P
i also play in a punk/jazz-ish band www.myspace.com/thenowherenears.. we don't practise much though :rolleyes:

Over the last week or two...

REM
Johnny Cash
Cranberries
Pink Floyd
Bach
Strauss
Townes van Zandt
Cowboy Junkies

and many more.

Pink Floyd

Since you're from the Netherlands too: Roger Waters is coming to Arnhem this spring, ticketsales have already started!

Seen the announcement. If I remember correctly the ticket prices were insane.

Member Avatar for GreenDay2001

I love pop, latin and indipop and i hate rock, metal and rap.
Ricky Martin and Enrique Iglesias are my favorite singers.

Seen the announcement. If I remember correctly the ticket prices were insane.

Indeed, I've payed 55 euro ( about $70 ) for a seat, but I've seen him before and it's worth the money

Indeed, I've payed 55 euro ( about $70 ) for a seat, but I've seen him before and it's worth the money

Are you kidding? $70 is nothing for a rock concert! Here, you can easily spend ~$100 on a ticket for a popular rock group.

Someday, I'd like to go to a U2 concert before they retire.

I paid £40 (~ $80) for a far-from-perfect seat at Muse yesterday... Still, I bought it from a random at the train station at the very last minute... so, I can't complain :)

Acoustic and Rock person here

I play for a few brass bands and wind bands on euphonium and trombone,

But...

I also play guitar and piano.

So

i like classical music and rock and all that sort of stuff.

I like everything from the Police to Naughty by Nature,hardrock,metal,techno, rap thats saying something other than how much money they've or negative subjects.

i like DragonForce (really awesome, you can get a free mp3 off thier site)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.