Okay, from the beginning, before anyone attempts to turn this in to a "controversial thread" ha! I wish to clarify that this is not about gender dominance or alienating men. This is what it is, a simple question, cute and funny. Since I am a girl, my favorite pet is a dog, which I happen to own a beautiful Siberian Husky named Pearl.................Justine

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

I fail to follow the logic of [tex]girl \rightarrow favorite\ pet = dog[/tex]... :p

I'm not much into pets... my parents have a pair of Jack Russell Terriers, very cute, very very hyper, but I just didn't like the inconvenience. I do enjoy other people's pets though :p

Okay, from the beginning, before anyone attempts to turn this in to a "controversial thread" ha! I wish to clarify that this is not about gender dominance or alienating men. This is what it is, a simple question, cute and funny.

Let me say right now that you've totally overreacted. :rolleyes:

>Since I am a girl, my favorite pet is a dog, which I happen to own a beautiful Siberian Husky named Pearl
Since I'm a girl, my favorite pet is a cat. I have three house cats named Saya, Spot, and Narue. ;)

>I fail to follow the logic of
Me too. I've always heard that girls tend toward cats and boys tend toward dogs. :)

I'm a reptile person. I have the most beautifully colored corn snake.

A cat named Narue? Very cute :) Why no cat named Prelude?

>Why no cat named Prelude?
I don't see that working out, especially considering where I pulled that handle from. ;)

I have two cats: Boba Katt (named after Boba Fett) and Harley.

Off-topic: Narue, out of curiosity, where did you get your nick?

On-topic:
Thought I'd share some pics...
pic 1 and pic 2

Anyone else want to share pics?

My girlfriend and I raise Domestic American Rats together in our apartment; currently we have only two, one named Peek-a-Boo, one named Sugars. They are adorable and so smart. My girl's two Labradors: one chocolate, is named Chewbacca, the blond female, Penelope.

While going to school in Texas I had a Wolf-hybrid named Claudia and a papered Siberian Husky called Stormy Sky Dancer. I also had an American Tuxedo (cat) name Abigail. Particular reasons forced me to no longer reside with them.

>Off-topic: Narue, out of curiosity, where did you get your nick?
I just took a random Japanese name (Naru) and added a common suffix to it (e).

Cat called Molly, tortoise called Rocket (his favourite food is rocket, so it seemed kind of apt) and a spider called Ben (well, every spider in the house is called Ben by my six year old daughter - so I think they count as pets.)

A yorkshire terrier and maltese (Sheyna and Mitzi), a corn snake named Felix, two water turtles (Speedy and Piglet), three tortoises (including an endangered Eastern Box ... Shelly, Sam, and Lisa). Previous (now deceased) pets included a fourth tortoise (May), two iguanas (one very smart and gentle one named Michie who died of cancer), two cats (Princess and Shemesh, born as strays in the backyard and lived to be 15+), two hamsters (Teddy and Panda), a guinea pig named Dusty, lots and lots of gerbils, hundreds of mice (bred to feed the snake), two garter snakes (Slimy and Shanashtan), a terrarium of newts, tadpoles, and frogs, little lizard things whose species I can't even remember now, and there must be more but I can't think of it off the top of my head :)

Wow, Dani, that's quite a zoo you've had... :eek:

>Off-topic: Narue, out of curiosity, where did you get your nick?
I just took a random Japanese name (Naru) and added a common suffix to it (e).

I thought it was from the Japanese Manga "Narue no Sekai". (成恵の世界-World of Narue). Since you had a blog item on [search]Japanese Manga[/search], and your interest in Japanese, I thought that explaination made sense. I was stumped when I read your explaination. :surprised

>I thought it was from the Japanese Manga "Narue no Sekai".
Nope, though I have flipped through the manga and seen the anime in its entirety. Most likely I took Naru from Love Hina and threw a suffix on it because I wanted another syllable or I thought Naru would be too cliche. *shrug*

I'm not a girl ... but my dogs have mostly been females .. German Shepherds, German Shorthaired pointers, and my new dog a chocolate lab named lucy.

I like you. Your posts put a smile on my face.......Justine

Keeping pets would be too much err..mendukse (troublesome) :D

I barely manage to keep myself up somehow, so if I got a pet, both he and I would be sitting on the couch watching TV, doing nothing while all the unwashed utensils stinking in the kitchen, unwashed clothes emitting foul odour...

I am really impressed at how you can handle yourself as well as your pets, kudos to you all.

Naa...good luck girls with your pets.

I have a cat named -- "Cat". They don't respond to names anyway so why bother with giving them cute names. My cat, a male, is the lazyest cat I have ever seen -- I have to catch the mice and give it to him! He was neutered, so maybe that explains his lazyness. I will never ever have a male cat again. Female cats are a lot more aggressive and much better mousers.

I also like dogs -- mine died a couple years ago and do not intend to replace him.

commented: LOL @ your cat's name .. cute! +3

Mahalo - thanx

Okay, from the beginning, before anyone attempts to turn this in to a "controversial thread" ha! I wish to clarify that this is not about gender dominance or alienating men. This is what it is, a simple question, cute and funny. Since I am a girl, my favorite pet is a dog, which I happen to own a beautiful Siberian Husky named Pearl.................Justine

I have a Dog named Star and she is a Shetland Sheepdog. How would you like to have them play together sometime ?? We can meet in the dog park or something ??:cheesy:

A yorkshire terrier and maltese (Sheyna and Mitzi), a corn snake named Felix, two water turtles (Speedy and Piglet), three tortoises (including an endangered Eastern Box ... Shelly, Sam, and Lisa). Previous (now deceased) pets included a fourth tortoise (May), two iguanas (one very smart and gentle one named Michie who died of cancer), two cats (Princess and Shemesh, born as strays in the backyard and lived to be 15+), two hamsters (Teddy and Panda), a guinea pig named Dusty, lots and lots of gerbils, hundreds of mice (bred to feed the snake), two garter snakes (Slimy and Shanashtan), a terrarium of newts, tadpoles, and frogs, little lizard things whose species I can't even remember now, and there must be more but I can't think of it off the top of my head :)

An update is warranted. Unfortunately, my corn snake of 12+ years passed away last month. We've also acquired another tortoise, Frannie.

My condolences.

I like dogs but I also like cats. When I was a kid living on a farm we had about 25 cats at the same time -- of course they were all out-door cats that lived in the barns and corn cribs. They loved milk-time -- when I milked our cow I had to give them all a squirt or two of milk. We never had a rat or mouse problem.

Also had a pet white rabbit that lived around the yard a couple years eating corn that dropped out of the corn cribs, as well as other stuff. He came up missing and after a few months I went to our neighbors for some other reason when he just happened to mention that he saw a large white rabbit that he shot and ate. That was my rabbit! but I never told him.

I'm not sure I actually have a 'favorite' type of animal. Current pet listing is as follows:

Living:
Dogs - Annie (miniature poodle, black fur where not going gray. Has cataracts, is apparently going deaf if not already there, and limps slightly. Also has a slipping problem on our hardwood floors.), Cooper (collie hybrid; humane society find. We have no idea what the other part is, as he looks like a pure collie except his ears droop a bit. Male, white with brown patches.), Cassie (purebred collie, female, mostly black with white underbelly and white/brown 'socks'.), CJ (humane society find, genuine mutt as far as we can tell. Female, brown fur.)
Cats: Gracie (humane society find, striped fur.), Amy (street rescue, pure black fur.)
Other: Jack (Box turtle, ~ 12 years old, most of which was spent in our care.), Al (Plecostomus, name is short for 'algae eater'), two unnamed fish that share the tank with Al (breed unknown; they belong to my sister), a small outdoor ornamental pool filled with goldfish, and Henry (White peacock.)

Dead:
Joshua (White peacock).

Missing, presumed dead:
Pogo (Black poodle, on the boundary between miniature and toy. Disappeared October 2006.), Barret (White peacock. Disappeared late summer 2001.), Lady Sarah (White peahen. Disappeared early summer 2001.)

Non-pet:
A small number of Black King snakes that have been released near a storage building in the back yard to solve the mouse problem.

I have a hamster :P
It likes to climb upside-down ontop of her cage, so fun to watch... :)

My favourite animal as a pet would be a snake :P Snakes are awesome, i don't see why people are scared of them. Only a tiny proportion are actually deadly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.