Hello Everyone.
Thank you for letting me join. And i have one question. How do i change my IP adress ? I have cable internet, Comcast. I am supposed to have dynamic IP which is supposed to change time to time. I have already tried turning off the computer and modem for 3 hours and that did not work. If i go and change the modem, would this do it ????:sad:

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

Why do you want the IP to change? A static IP address is something that people pay for!

Seriously though, there's no realistic way of forcing the ISP to give you a different address.

You could try opening a command prompt and typing "ipconfig /renew" without the quotes but the server may simply issue the same address again.

Why do you want the IP to change? A static IP address is something that people pay for!

Seriously though, there's no realistic way of forcing the ISP to give you a different address.

You could try opening a command prompt and typing "ipconfig /renew" without the quotes but the server may simply issue the same address again.

What if i release the ipadress and not use the modem for few days and turn it back on, then maybe i will get another ip adress?? Maybe in that time someone else will pick up that adress and i will get a new one??

i have dynamic ips for my cable broadband and it ahsnt changed in 3 years

i have dynamic ips for my cable broadband and it ahsnt changed in 3 years

I have GOOD news, if you ever need to do this for whatever reason, i found a way to do it thru trial and error, do you want to know how ???

The ISP Typically has a DHCP Lease setup for your location, which reads your modems MAC Address. These are typically set to 7 days, or 24 hours (depends on the ISP). If you get a new modem, or you leave your exsisting modem off for the length of the DHCP lease, then you will get a new ip address.

Thank you for letting me join.

You're one of the lucky ones. We let very few people register here. :rolleyes:

And i have one question. How do i change my IP adress ? I have cable internet, Comcast. I am supposed to have dynamic IP which is supposed to change time to time. I have already tried turning off the computer and modem for 3 hours and that did not work. If i go and change the modem, would this do it ????:sad:

As has been said, many ISPs allow you to retain your IP address for years. Some allow you to change it by doing a DHCP renew, but often that won't be enough.

In that case, the ISP usually assigns an IP address per MAC address as has already been said. A MAC address is a physical hardware address associated with a networked piece of hardware. Changing your modem, however does not always change the IP address. In my case, my modem doesn't have its own IP address. It simply allows the router or whatever is connected through its ethernet port to communicate with my ISP. So in that case, there's an easier way: changing the MAC address on your computer. There are guides on how to do this (this one is for Windows) although you can change the MAC address on just about any kind of computer: Macs, Linux boxes, PCs, even routers.

http://www.nthelp.com/NT6/change_mac_w2k.htm

As you can see, it takes a bit of work, but at the end of this you should (hopefully) have a new IP address. Also, if you're paranoid about security and changing your IP address, consider proxies and network security software to protect your privacy, and yourself from the hackers.

Hope this helps

Edit: oh and I should give you a real welcome here to DaniWeb, apart from that sarcastic remark :cheesy:

You're one of the lucky ones. We let very few people register here. :rolleyes:

As has been said, many ISPs allow you to retain your IP address for years. Some allow you to change it by doing a DHCP renew, but often that won't be enough.

In that case, the ISP usually assigns an IP address per MAC address as has already been said. A MAC address is a physical hardware address associated with a networked piece of hardware. Changing your modem, however does not always change the IP address. In my case, my modem doesn't have its own IP address. It simply allows the router or whatever is connected through its ethernet port to communicate with my ISP. So in that case, there's an easier way: changing the MAC address on your computer. There are guides on how to do this (this one is for Windows) although you can change the MAC address on just about any kind of computer: Macs, Linux boxes, PCs, even routers.

http://www.nthelp.com/NT6/change_mac_w2k.htm

As you can see, it takes a bit of work, but at the end of this you should (hopefully) have a new IP address. Also, if you're paranoid about security and changing your IP address, consider proxies and network security software to protect your privacy, and yourself from the hackers.

Hope this helps

Edit: oh and I should give you a real welcome here to DaniWeb, apart from that sarcastic remark :cheesy:

Thank you once again for letting me join and for the tips too. This seem like the Best computer related websites in the World. I have never seen such variety and complexity of threads in the past. I feel like i am priviledged to be in the forum. I hope to get more involved with the forum in the future, and do you guys discuss games and their programming as well, it is one of my favorite topics. Thank you and you guys are great.........:D

Welcome ashore :)

Welcome ashore :)

And is there any Hot woman in this forum ????;)

Well, I doubt any of them would disagree if you said they were hot, but I don't see this being the best place to meet women... ;)

Well, I doubt any of them would disagree if you said they were hot, but I don't see this being the best place to meet women... ;)

Where else can you find qute women with interest in computers ???:o

Wouldn't know for sure... all the ones I know are fellow students :D

lol stay on topic people

other than people finding it and hacking it or from you getting you ip banned from a site it is a good thing not to have it change.

What if i release the ipadress and not use the modem for few days and turn it back on, then maybe i will get another ip adress?? Maybe in that time someone else will pick up that adress and i will get a new one??

Not necessarily. Some ISP's tie the IP address to a devices MAC address. Depends on how your system is setup and we don't have enough info from you to be more specific.

Again I ask, why the need to have a new IP address:?:

only likely scenario would be if he got his IP put on a certains erverd blacklist

Not necessarily. Some ISP's tie the IP address to a devices MAC address. Depends on how your system is setup and we don't have enough info from you to be more specific.

Again I ask, why the need to have a new IP address:?:

I had a problem with someone trying to hack my Ip adress. I have some very sensitive information in there and i cannot have corporate theft and need more secure firewall. Anyway, i already figured out how to change my IP adress thru some ingenius trial and errors. That must be why i am in the Mensa society. Anyway, thank you everyone for suggestions, you guys are Great. Anyone interested in admission into Mensa society ???:lol:

only likely scenario would be if he got his IP put on a certains erverd blacklist

IT is nothing that dark, i assure of that, Lets start thinking more positively please with Chrismas coming up and all.....:cheesy:

IT is nothing that dark, i assure of that, Lets start thinking more positively please with Chrismas coming up and all.....:cheesy:

i want implying any wronngdoing. its quite common for people to be blacklisted because spyware has stolen thier computer and used it to launch DDoS attacks

I had a problem with someone trying to hack my Ip adress. I have some very sensitive information in there and i cannot have corporate theft and need more secure firewall.

Usually, the best thing to do is to look at your firewall logs. If you think someone is trying to attack you, the best thing you can do is to put their IP address in the firewall's blacklist. That way, no data will be sent back when a request comes from a naughty IP.

Usually, the best thing to do is to look at your firewall logs. If you think someone is trying to attack you, the best thing you can do is to put their IP address in the firewall's blacklist. That way, no data will be sent back when a request comes from a naughty IP.

I have no clue what their IP adress is.

I have no clue what their IP adress is.

Usually, the best thing to do is to look at your firewall logs

;)

but if the hacker uses a proxy thats no good

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.