Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

There was a short film on tv the other day on the history channel (I think) that discussed that. The interviewed a very old shepherd (maybe in his 80s) who had been born and raised on the area, and he also confirmed that it would have not been possible for Jesus to have been born in December. But I think most people are aware of that anyway -- someone just chose Dec 25 for some other reason. Its not the date that is important, but what we do on that date.

There was a short film on tv the other day on the history channel (I think) that discussed that. The interviewed a very old shepherd (maybe in his 80s) who had been born and raised on the area, and he also confirmed that it would have not been possible for Jesus to have been born in December. But I think most people are aware of that anyway -- someone just chose Dec 25 for some other reason. Its not the date that is important, but what we do on that date.

I agree: it's not the date. It think it is vital, though (at least for Christians) to be aware of the origins of this day, the Western holiday of Christmas. Christianity, at least by a proper definition, does not embrace Paganisn nor that which is derived from such for whatever politcal\ social reason(s).

Regards, and thanks for your response.

sharky_machine

It think it is vital, though (at least for Christians) to be aware of the origins of this day, the Western holiday of Christmas. sharky_machine

I'm glad you qualified that...because to many non-Christians in the western world Christmas is nothing about the birth of Christ but simply a time for gift-giving, celebration and merriment. Indeed, the line between the two has grown ever thinner, and sometimes it is hard to distinguish who is celebrating Christmas, and who is celebrating "winter festival", as was an attempted (and failed) rebranding of the holiday.

Very true. Also, Easter is one of the worst at this. Anybody know how the Easter Egg came into existance? Local pagan custom dating before Christianity. ;)

Very true. Also, Easter is one of the worst at this. Anybody know how the Easter Egg came into existance? Local pagan custom dating before Christianity. ;)

Yes, I find this all quite interesting. I am a Protestant Christian so I believe it is my responsiblity to look into these supposedly "Christian" traditions and weigh their value for myself. At this point the balance is off and history supports the truth(s) behind the modern, Capitalist glimmer of the season. As I sit at my compiler debugging Python code the television blares (which I usually quite enjoy), but this past 3-weeks there is nothing besides the blatthering of a heartwarming, Yuletide blitzkrieg. It's enough to make me almost turn the T.V. off. :surprised

As an American I too have imbedded memories of Christmas circa 1972-- but it used to have an underlying warmth which now seems forced and just another manfactured, Western-society event no different than the Superbowl, another venue to avoid in my opinion. At least I retain nice memories of Christmas-days long past. It's kind of sad in a way.

I am a Christian, as stated, but not many years ago I was a frontline, militant Aetheist: even then, I felt the sickness of the the destruction of Christmas for the poor Christians whom I despised. Now that I am a Christian, I am just offended.

For those in America or Europe who enjoy Christmas with their family, children, mates, and friends (in whatever manner they observe it-- secular or religious) I wish them a peaceful and wholesome day of fun and light-heartedness. I will just be programming on that morning and cursing the bugs during my on-going search-and-destroy missions. :p

Cheers,
Matty D.

I celebrated Yule yesterday...

Merry Christmas me friend!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.