I may, but havn't mad a decision yet.:confused:

Recommended Answers

All 41 Replies

Wont buy it myself until it's been patched and/or proven. Might end up using it at work depending on where I end up working, but won't be getting it for my personal machines any time soon.

I'm fairly sure that in the future when it's patched/proven etc, Vista will replace XP as the default Windows package. Myself, I'm fine with XP for now. It's easy and it's what everyone is used to.

I'm going to buy it on February 1st :)

I am getting a couple of copies for our IT department to have a play with early next year, i played around with the RC1 (i think) beta and it was ok, buggy but nice to see something thats been a while in the making!!

I will buy it in about a year. By then M$ will have at least one service pack out for it.

I, like dani will be buying it when it comes out. I am sorry I just can't deal with not getting it, it looks so shiney and new. No, I know there are gonna be bugs but it hopeful won't effect the general user to much and I really need a personal webserver for my pc.

No, I'll get it included in the package as a Microsoft Partner.

I'll buy it when and if I buy a new computer to run Windows before a replacement becomes available.
As I don't know when and if either of those conditions will be met I can't at the moment make any predictions one way or the other.

Or to put it bluntly: I don't know :)

I'm not going to buy Vista just so that I can dual-boot (or rather, triple-boot) my MacBook with Windows. I wouldn't mind tinkering around with it, although I'd certainly not want it as my main operating system.

I will be forking over the cash for the Ultimate version when it comes out

Eventually, when I buy a new PC. I am quite happy with XP at this point. (My first PC was second-hand loaded with Win95-- I was very happy to upgrade to WIN98 then :) . When I bought another PC with XP-- what more could I need?

Many people mock Microsoft. This I understand, I guess :confused:; I see Microsoft for what it is: a massive corporation that has just happened to change the face of the planet via software, providing our society with what I have dreamed of since the late 1970's-- Star Wars-level technology! :cheesy:

Without MS, I'm not sure if I would be posting this message right now.

sharky_machine

im not - in the UK its £375 to preorder ultimate full edition - thats the same price as Windows Server 2003 is

im not - in the UK its £375 to preorder ultimate full edition - thats the same price as Windows Server 2003 is

Check this out. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Vista-Ultimate-UPGRADE/dp/B000HCTYTO/sr=1-1/qid=1166989370/ref=sr_1_1/103-7277711-7303838?ie=UTF8&s=software

That is the upgrade and it is only £250

The full edition is £369.99 on amazon as well. I am still gonna get it.

Why not look at a more basic version? lol Only jokin I know most people on this forum atleast would never dream of it.:cheesy:

i need the full edition as i have XP home and dont want to upgrade to a sucky version

XP Home ed. users can only get Home & Home Basic editions, MCE edition users can get Premnium as well and XP PRO users can get ultimnate and buisness

why would you want to think about buying the ultimate edition for home use, unless of course you have a huge network server at home.

Well, because it has all of the features of the business and home premium packages, which includes an iis. And of course every one has to have the best. Why does it matter if we don;t have a huge network server?

i need the full edition as i have XP home and dont want to upgrade to a sucky version

you already use a sucky version so upgrading to another sucky version should not be a problem. But I agree the basic version is probably not adequate for software development.

To revise my first post in this thread, I will certainly be using it when I start working in 6 months, but I'm not sure when I'll be upgrading my personal system (which barely meets some of the min reqs currently)

To revise my first post in this thread, I will certainly be using it when I start working in 6 months,

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The company I work for does not upgade for about two years after a new release.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The company I work for does not upgade for about two years after a new release.

And here is one big reason why we don't upgrade immediately:eek:

ah, but I just got a job with Microsoft, so I'm pretty sure I'll be using it ;)

commented: congrats (iamthwee) +6
Member Avatar for iamthwee

That's odd. Companies normally buy pc's with the operating system already pre-installed before it ships. So when you buy a new pc in 2007 isn't it going to have vista already on it?

ah, but I just got a job with Microsoft, so I'm pretty sure I'll be using it

Congrats :cheesy:

ah, but I just got a job with Microsoft, so I'm pretty sure I'll be using it ;)

Congratulations! I understand its pretty difficult to get jobs there. Yes, I suppose you will indeed be using it.

That's odd. Companies normally buy pc's with the operating system already pre-installed before it ships. So when you buy a new pc in 2007 isn't it going to have vista already on it?

Congrats :cheesy:

We don't buy new PCs all that often. I've had mine for four years now and when we bought it the PC did not have the os preinstalled because our IT people wanted to install it themselves (for whatever reason).

Actually, I heard somewhere that larger companies usually do hold off before upgrading their systems. Smaller companies tend to move over fast partly because they don't have as many machines to upgrade, partly because they (typically) look for anything that'll give them an advantage. Larger companies often wait to make sure there aren't any vulnerabilities or bugs in a product before they make a hefty investment into it.

Actually, I heard somewhere that larger companies usually do hold off before upgrading their systems. Smaller companies tend to move over fast partly because they don't have as many machines to upgrade, partly because they (typically) look for anything that'll give them an advantage. Larger companies often wait to make sure there aren't any vulnerabilities or bugs in a product before they make a hefty investment into it.

I'm sure we can make an exception with Microsoft. ;) I've heard reports of Microsoft using variants of Unix for their software development though... don't know if it's true.

I've heard reports of Microsoft using variants of Unix for their software development though... don't know if it's true.

Well apple use windows pcs on their manufacture line for ipods. How do you think all the viruses got onto those ipods.;)

I've heard reports of Microsoft using variants of Unix for their software development though... don't know if it's true.

Well, I'd assume they use Unix in the Services for UNIX group, but I've never heard of it otherwise.

Well apple use windows pcs on their manufacture line for ipods. How do you think all the viruses got onto those ipods.;)

Good point. They also would need them to ensure Windows compatiblity with iPods, but the amount in the OS X development is probably very low. ;)

Well, I'd assume they use Unix in the Services for UNIX group, but I've never heard of it otherwise.

It comes from MS buying out other companies that use variants of Unix to develop/manage their software. For example, Microsoft was running Hotmail on its original Unix base until the publicity got so bad that Microsoft changed it to a Windows server.

Member Avatar for rkamin1

I just installed Vista Ultimate last night, and I'd have to say that I love it so far! I downloaded it via msdn from my work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.