That must be prerelease though. I would get your hands on a real one because they are going to stop you using them i think.. correct me if I am wrong.

Member Avatar for rkamin1

Nope, it's the full vista ultimate version. All versions have been released as of November 8th in the US. They just don't hit retail shelves until the end of Jan.

oh cool. Can i have a copy ;) So did your work give it to you then

somneone said about vista ultimate as a home server. Why?
Most home servers have 512mb Ram so vista would run crappy and also here in the UK vista ultimate is set to be £380 whereas a copy of windows server 2003 costs less than that.

Member Avatar for rkamin1

Yes, my work paid for a msdn license for me. Lots of cash for my company, free for me :).

As far as using Vista Ultimate as a home server, I wouldn't. I was slightly disappointed in some of the performance side. It takes a while longer to load than XP pro did on my box and certain things run a little slower, such as just messing around in Windows explorer, and I have 1GB of RAM and a 6600GT graphics card. That means def. no go on a home server and I'm thinking about dumping some money into a faster GPU and some more RAM

I will say I won't but then get the first day it comes out:cheesy: and then be screaming because of huge bugs.

What are the real uses of a homeserver anyway. You may as well just use an old pc with a big hard disk and some more RAM. It works for me. I don't think you need proper windows server software for a home server, its just a waste of money.

i had 5 xp home machines which needed to be able to do ASP.NET web devel using VS2003 and the cost of upgrading them to Pro in order to get IIS was the same as buying seerver

Oh i see, so do you test all your apps and stuff on the server. I don't have XP Pro but any "server-side" stuff I do I upload to my web server. I suppose your way is faster. How much did the server cost? I bet you are regretting not buying pro straight off.

All the machines came from the shop with Home ed. preinstalled which was regrettable and pro costs loads even for an upgrade and i needed IIS for visual sudio 2003 asp.net web devel (casssini and stuff wasnt around then) so i got server 2003 R2 which was £770 and was prettymuch the exact same price as 5 xp pros.

Surely you didn't really need 5 xp pro machines you could have just bought one or two upgrades costing you much less than £770. But, i can't really talk because I haven't got XP pro ;) Just remember Ultimate or business not Home this time round ;)

i have to get home basic lol - xp home isnt eligible for an upgrade to anything above premium

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.