I thought it would be interesting to see what people can't type or atleast make mistakes on. I know I make mistakes when ever I have to press the (') key and when I have to type unfortunately. I also make mistakes on "color" because in the UK it is spelt colour but because I post on this forum it often becomes luck of the draw which one I actually type.

What can't you type?

Recommended Answers

All 32 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

What I think I can't type I use a spell checker on. Sometimes. Not all the time though.

No sorry, I don't mean can't spell I mean that you constantly just type it wrong when you are typing like getting letters the wrong way round and stuff like that.

never have that problem -- I learned touch typing in HS and have been touch typing every since (probably about 43 years). I think a lot of young people today learn to type on computer keyboards before they are HS age, and consequently learn typing incorrectly -- hunt-and-peck. Typing should probably be taught in grade school now -- maybe in 4th grade, so that kids will learn correctly.

I usually have problems with the rule "I before e, except after c, or when sounding like a such as neighbor and weigh..." thanks to:
albeit
atheist
codeine
counterfeit
deify
Einstein
either
foreign
forfeit
height
leisure
neither
protein
seismic
seize
sheik
sovereign
their
weird

• I can't type break; without the semicolon -- in code or in text (I've got an "automatic" backspace built into my fingers for specifications in which I use "break").
  • Half of the time text comes out test .
  • date all too often comes out data .
  • I can't do the number row without looking.
  • Too often I hit { instead of [ . (Same with the other one.)
  • I seem to have a "typing dyslexia" for quite a large number of keystrokes.

I use copy and paste a lot. As well as good editors. :)

I usually have problems with the rule "I before e, except after c, or when sounding like a such as neighbor and weigh..." thanks to:

C'mon Walt -- surely you come from the time when rote memorization was taught? Phonics folks will have no idea what you're talking about, or that there is any significance. Chalk one up for the old ways -- at least we occasionally stumble (but know it, and know how to fix it), rather than being oblivious to it all.

[/rant against phonics]

can't type here what I can't type or I would be able to type it... :)

i keep nispelling simple words e.g the becomes teh

EDIT: nispelling? lol

I thought it would be interesting to see what people can't type or atleast make mistakes on. I know I make mistakes when ever I have to press the (') key and when I have to type unfortunately. I also make mistakes on "color" because in the UK it is spelt colour but because I post on this forum it often becomes luck of the draw which one I actually type.

What can't you type?

"interesting". This becomes:

• interseting
  • intersesting
  • intersting
  • interestinmg

I seem to get lost in the key regions of "r", "s", "e", "t" :confused: or, rather, "r", "e", "s", "t" :lol: And I ask myself: "Matty, what are you writing that includes the word 'interesting' so often that makes this such a memorable issue?" This I cannot answer but it is the only word that sticks out to me and the moment. Very interseting.

i keep nispelling simple words e.g the becomes teh

I once made a quick website for a friend and I wrote all the content at about 6am and showed it him later that day to find that almost every the was spelt teh. It was pretty embarrasing.

search and replace to the rescue :)

Exactly what I thought. That was probably my worst ever mistake in spelling and typos. That shows what not lying in does to a person. ;)

never have that problem -- I learned touch typing in HS and have been touch typing every since (probably about 43 years). I think a lot of young people today learn to type on computer keyboards before they are HS age, and consequently learn typing incorrectly -- hunt-and-peck. Typing should probably be taught in grade school now -- maybe in 4th grade, so that kids will learn correctly.

They taught it back when I was in elementary (~10 years ago). We had a few typing tests where they'd put a cardboard box over the keyboard while we were typing. That was 2nd or 3rd grade.

My typing mistakes usually come up when I switch keyboards (e.g. laptop to desktop) and the force required on the keys is different. I also have some problems with getting the spaces to be where they're supposed to be, rather than a few characters early or late. And after a few hours of coding, I find it nearly impossible to type in the correctly (stupid int types).

[edit:] and I have problems with the number keys 3-5, especially with shift (#$% get horribly mixed up but used entirely too often)

My typing mistakes usually come up when I switch keyboards.

I get that alot. My problem is that when I am on my desktop I use a ergonomic keyboard so it is quite different to my laptops and other desktops I use. But i get used to using the keyboard I'm on in a couple of mins normally.

I use to be a half-decent typer (or so I thought), but with this new foldable keyboard I got as a Christmas present, I've been having a heck of a time typing properly. The keys are so mushy, it's hard to type without my fingers sliding off the keys. A lot of the time I hit a key and it doesn't register - thus making a word look like this: tsting Grr... :( at the momet I'm looking for a better keyboard with FIRMER keys. After all, how am I supposed to code with sillicon crap like this?

:)C'mon Walt -- surely you come from the time when rote memorization was taught?

Yep -- and if you don't use it, you lose it. I've never typed most of those words (they all came from a list).

i like keyboards with big, clicky keys like on my old thinkpad or the new dells (you know, the dell keyboards with the HUGE spacebar)

my new keyboard is good but bad at the same time

good is thats it wireless and has shortcut buttons and usb hub

bad is that its like a laptop one, with tiny spacebar and US size enter key (i like the big, UK style ones) and a backspace key thats the same size as the "home" and "end" type buttons. also it has no numpad and i need to use the Fn key for everything.

Like when I type a word that has a lot of A's.... OMG... I put an O instead of an A... Why I ask myself... lol

I used to wear out keyboards in a very short time, most often the lettering goes first quickly followed by the keys cracking up. Best I have found for a combination of longevity and real every-day-a-few-thousand-words usability are the solid IBM SK-8820's. In fact I like 'em so much I have a dozen of them in the office so I never run out. Current one is one a few million words and still going strong.

As for what I cannot type, it depends on how tired I am and how fast I am typing. If the answer to both is very, then because always comes out as becuase for some reason.

If the answer to both is very, then because always comes out as becuase for some reason.

Now there is one word I always get wrong

I used to wear out keyboards in a very short time, most often the lettering goes first quickly followed by the keys cracking up. Best I have found for a combination of longevity and real every-day-a-few-thousand-words usability are the solid IBM SK-8820's. In fact I like 'em so much I have a dozen of them in the office so I never run out. Current one is one a few million words and still going strong.

If you ever run out SK8820s I highly recommend unicomp customiser keyboards; they are the closest you can get these days to the IBM Model M (they acquired the technology from IBM in the 90s). I have one of them on my desk at home and one at work.

If you put one of these in your next PC Pro keyboard labs I'd put money on it winning, even if its not wireless and doesn't have fancy multimedia buttons. :)

Hehe, they don't let me near such things as keyboard lab reviews. Probably for the best as I'd break all the modern plastic multi-media feed your chicken and dance the fandango models in no time. My labs would be full of really solid, responsive, and distinctly old school keyboards that let you input data and nothing else. :)

As for what I cannot type, it depends on how tired I am and how fast I am typing. If the answer to both is very, then because always comes out as becuase for some reason.

Now there is one word I always get wrong

Not me 'cuz I know how to avoid that misteak! :)

Not me 'cuz I know how to avoid that misteak! :)

tsss.. didn't you read the forum rules :)

Niek

tsss.. didn't you read the forum rules :)

Niek

That's not leet. I've been using 'cuz long before the internet was even Arpanet... :p

So perhaps you were 'leet' before anyone invented the word?
Every word is invented for an action/thing/whatever that allready exists (or is pressumed existing), why else would the word exist? So perhaps you are the inventor of 'leet-language' :eek:

Niek

Grr... :( at the momet I'm looking for a better keyboard with FIRMER keys. After all, how am I supposed to code with sillicon crap like this?

We've had a load of hassle at school recently because someone took a key off one of the laptops (It happened to be an 'e' key, incidentally). For the new year they've all been filmed over with waterproof plastic so now no-one can get to the keys...often I have to resort to painstakingly peeling the plastic off, and sticking it back on at the end of class, because actually typing with the plastic on over the top is so GOD DAMNED HARD. And as for the trackpad...

The guy who did it even gave the key back, and I'm sure they would have been (and probably were) able to just put the key back on, but the guy still got fined. And NOW the rest of us are inconvenienced and some people have started taking it out on him. What he did was stupid, but he still acted well in the end. Should we all be inconvenienced because of this?

the same thing happened at my old school

people rearranged the keys to spell crude words and they stole the mouseballs to throw at people so they were superglued in meaning it was impossible to clean them and thus use the pc

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.