Hello everyone. If you live in the UK and you watch the news this will not need explaining to you. But....that rubbish reality TV show Big Brother on C4 has caused a diplomatic crisis. Why? Jade Goody has been bullying the **** out of Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty (using the occasional somewhat racist comment, apparently). Gordon Brown (UK Chancellor) found himself explaining to Indian politicians why Britain is not a racist country, instead of some rather more important stuff about British / Indian trade. Does anyone else have a comment to make about this ridiculous TV show becoming a politcal issue?

Steven.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

did you watch mock the week like last night?
excellent debate about this.

I think its appauling. Big brother is a farse and I dont think anyone should have to tolerate that kind of abuse.

I really am surprised that racism still is rampant in UK and such things are allowed to go through...The lawyer of the accused says that she would never make racist comments even after the masses have heard her say things like "Paki", "dog" etc....

This is something for that girl to be ashamed of and since she is represensting her country in this.....

racism is rampant in every country on this planet.
It is fed by one group being given preferential treatment over another (or wanting to dominate the other).
In the UK (and indeed in most of Europe) "minorities" are given preferential treatment everywhere, and are resented for that.
In Zimbadwe minorities are brutally oppressed, but you're not supposed to call that racism because there the minorities are white and everyone knows only white people can be racist (at least in the definition of the PC crowd).

Nothing racist was said here from what I've heard. The "racism" charge was launched for the sole reason that a white person wasn't nice to an Indian person. That she acted the same towards other women (typical catfight) doesn't matter.

Well, it's all over now (or it should be, the show's still on the air) and Jade Goody is frantically trying to make it up to the public and apologising profusely to win her crowds back. And it's working. The upshot of this entire "massive political issue" will simply be that Jade, Shilipa and the channel 4 bosses, who are now "seriously considering" axeing the show, will all be shot to further glory because of the ridiculous public exposure which this whole incident has been given. The newpaper editors are the real culprits here: if it weren't for their blowing the issue out of proportion it might have perhaps landed a small place in a column on page 15 or something, not front page news.

racism is rampant in every country on this planet.

True! There is no rule that some country is more racist than the other. Racism is a part of the social fabric. People often identify themselves with their own community/race, tend to be in a group with members of their race. As any group grows stronger and larger, they tend to feel superior (or try to mask an inferiority complex) and from that stems racism.

The upshot of this entire "massive political issue" will simply be that Jade, Shilipa and the channel 4 bosses, who are now "seriously considering" axeing the show, will all be shot

For a minute there I thought something good might come out of this whole thing. Jade Goody, shot? Along with Shilpa and the C4 bosses :p ! Now that's a reality show that would be worth watching. Unfortunetley, you actually said

The upshot of this entire "massive political issue" will simply be that Jade, Shilipa and the channel 4 bosses, who are now "seriously considering" axeing the show, will all be shot to further glory because of the ridiculous public exposure which this whole incident has been given.

Oh well. Guess I'll have to get my sick pleasure from somewhere else ;) .

Steven.

did you watch shipwrecked on c4?
the incident on that was even worse than that on BB

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.