I like open source but sometimes I don't agree with gnu and all the rules you have to follow when you use it for your things.Is there one doesn't have as many rules that makes you have to make everything open source with it?This is for a pen and paper RPG I'm working on.Oh and does a PDF file count as software for a license.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

This page has several open source licenses you can look through. They do mostly apply to source code and/or distributed binaries, though, so you might look into maybe the Creative Commons license. I don't think this will protect you from anyone implementing your idea in actual software, however, so if you're really worried about it you might look into pursuing a patent. I'm not an expert by any means though...

APL and CDDL are good licenses.
But yes, Creative Commons is better for documents like you are making. And as it's a cluster of different license modules, you can tune it to your liking.

BSD licence?

Or, you can write your own :)

Or, you can write your own :)

That's the problem, most people have never taken law school and don't know the legal loopholes that may result from writing a custom licence.

Probably the best thing to do if you can't find a licence that meets your needs is to modify an existing one, so you at least have something to start with.

That's the problem, most people have never taken law school and don't know the legal loopholes that may result from writing a custom licence.

Since when has being unqualified ever stopped people from doing something? ;)

go on the FSF's website and have a look at the many there

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.