My daughter is seven and has been using the Internet for years with no reason for me to worry. However, recently she discovered that the Internet is much bigger than just playing games on pogo or nickjr.com.

Since her pc is back in her bedroom and I can't watch her all the time, I'd like to install some sort of key logger on her pc. She has a few older friends and I get nervous when they all go back there to play on the Internet.

I believe this is legal since she is my daughter and I purchased her pc. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I'd like some recommendations on what software I should use for this. There seems to be a lot out there. I just want something simple that will tell me what websites she visits and maybe let me know if she is chatting with anyone on any sites.

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

it would be possible and most likely legal to use a keylogger but how about filters which filter content and prepare a loist of all sites she has accesed and when? - a filtering system like this would probably be easier to set up to.

Bear in mind though, when kids are told they cant do something 9/10 times theyll try to circumvent it so they can :)

if you want to go that router basic filtering of most mainstream adult sites etc is available from within IE itself or maybe from your security centre such as mcaffee or norton. there are plenty of packages available to buy if you want a better system

You think Net Nanny is worth the money?

you could just check her internet history, that seems the easiest

but what if she clears it eh?
and i think the point is to stop here going on things before she gets a chance to see them

jbennet is right. I'd rather stop her before she sees anything.

That might just make her try to do things to get around your limits.....

Good luck to you my friend :)

Don't know how feasible it is in your situation, but a setup with transparent filtering (such as a proxy or firewall) would probably be easiest to monitor/log what she does and still limit what she can or can't do. Of course, this'll probably require a little more effort on your part than cybersitter or whatever (or so I assume... my parents never used those, and I would have found a way to turn it off anyways :p)

at that price, youd be better off getting the filters.

if you both have xp pro you can use remote desktop to do what the previous post mentions

if you both have xp pro you can use remote desktop to do what the previous post mentions

She has XP Pro, I have Vista Home Premium. Would it work with those?

well xp pro has the server part of remote desktop

im assuming Vista Premium only has the client (thats how xp home was)

but thats fine as it will be you whose watching her

or may be, install windows vista with the Parental Advisory whatever they call it? -.-" But still, as long as ur daughter PC connected to the internet, there's no way to restrict that 100% -.-" the best way is just to not put computer in her bedroom -.-"

yeah theres no substitute for supervision

I trust my daughter. She has never given me a reason not to. This is just a precautionary measure..

ok, well its up to you

Hi, its hard to say what your kid might be looking at. I think the best thing to do would be to talk to her about it, but dont beat around the bush. If for some reason you suspect something after that then manage the problem. If she does see thoughs types of websites and youve found out by monitoring, how are you going to explain how you found out???? Anymore problems goto http://kellyheta.blogspot.com/

This might be a bit tedious but there is a way you can block sites one can go to without downloading anything.
I'm not entirely sure if this works with XP Pro. It works with Home though...
Anywho this is how you do it:
_ Click "Start" in the lower left corner
_ Open the "Control Panel"

If on "Category View"

_ Click on "Network and Internet Connections"
_ Under "or pick a Control Panel icon" click "Internet Options"
_ Click on the "Content" tab
_ Under the "Content Advisor" click "Settings"
_ This will bring you to the spot where you can change the blocks to whatever you want. (i.e. partial nudity, nudity, etc.)
_ After that save the settings and it should ask you to create a password. Make sure it is something that your daughter will not be able to guess and that you can easily remember.

If on "Classic View"
_ Click the "Internet Options" icon
And the rest is the same as above.

Well, just thought that I would share that possibility with you. If this doesn't apply to Pro... my greatest apologies.

I think it does apply to pro. Pro has everything home has + more

I think you should just teach your child right values and instead of filtering content (she would probably find away to get around them anyway), just make sure she's on the right track and doing good in school.

I know in vista that the buisness edition lacks some of the media stuff home has, and the home editions lack some of the networking featureas of buisness, but this is not the case in XP. Consider XP pro more like ultimate. It has everythng home has + more (IIS, domain support, remote desktop etc...)

I think you should just teach your child right values and instead of filtering content (she would probably find away to get around them anyway), just make sure she's on the right track and doing good in school.

What he said.

Checking history, cache, enabling logging, etc are all fine and good. What if she goes to a friends'? There are limits to your reach

Find out what she does online by asking her. Ask her who she is talking to. Remind her not to give out numbers, names, and so on.

She will encounter the stuff you fear. Best to prepare her and teach her good practices now.

Good luck!

I knew pro was superior to home... just don't know what features it has.

Yeah, its mainly UNIX services, local security policy, domain support, IIS and remote desktop.

Agreed, but honestly, I don't think you're going to have any trouble with your daughter yet, since she is only seven.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.