:)

enderx was right lol (that riddle makes so many ppl mad cus they don't realize that i said ONE can't be a nickle, and the quarter isn't lol)

I bear meaning within meaning within meaning.

Some use me for amusement. For others, to
learn more of me may be the difference
between life and death.

I am ancient, and yet often newly-born.

My secrets may be revealed not to the
strong, or the swift, or to the brave,
but to those who posses wisdom or
cunning will I make myself known.

And I dwell close to you, much closer
than you would think.

Who am I?

words?

words?

Sorry, no.

God?

signs or symbols? (i'm thinking symbols but ya lol)

This sounds like a quick sense of wit...

No to all so far, although some responses are beating around the edge of it.

i think this riddle out lived it's time frame lol.........

here's an old one lol

What walks on four legs in the morning,
two legs in the afternoon,
and three legs in the evening?

(pst enderx is it itelligence or wisdom?)

That IS an old one... Is anybody here acquainted with The Sphinx?

Your answer, in all humility, is a man...

a man

That IS an old one... Is anybody here acquainted with The Sphinx?

Not personally, although I do recall something about an abusive personality...

[According to legend, when the Sphinx's victims couldn't solve the riddle she posed, she killed them. And, of course, when it did get solved, she killed herself.]

Anyway, please excuse the interruption. Carry on with the riddling.

lol ya i know it's old but sometimes ppl don't remember these things........ and yes it was man, basically i guess that was more a race to the thread than a good riddle lol

jbarry's turn i guess then huh

I'm still puzzling over that earlier riddle, wondering if it's something akin to the past, history, memory, or the like...

In the meantime, here's another oldie:
A farmer with more ambition than money buys ten fruit trees. He says he's planting the trees in rows of four: Five rows of four, in fact. Can he do this; and, if so, how?

well i could do it by:
taking shoots off each tree thus completing the 4 tree per row?

Nope, Serunson; but, good idea... You kinda gotta stretttttttch your limits here...

he already had 10 lined up and bought ten more in order to make it the right size

Good try; but, no banana... Here's a hint: It CAN be done...

Okay, folks. This one appears to have brought things to a stop; and, maybe it was too much of a puzzle and too little of a riddle for this thread. Apologies...

For those who have a green thumb, the spots in this diagram where a hole is placed each get a tree. Happy planting! jb

oooh--- almost forgot--- What has eighteen legs and catches flies? lol.

0 0 0 0

0 0

0 0

My first attempts to post this reflected my profound ineptitude. Sorry, folks. Happy farming... Plant your trees in the holes....
jb

oooh--- almost forgot--- What has eighteen legs and catches flies? lol.

A baseball team.

Score one for the Home Team, EnderX...

Now, it's your turn to do the honors...

Gladly.

I'd like to try something a bit different, though. I've got a set of related riddles I'd like to toss out this time around, where the final answer to the whole depends on the answers of the earlier being known.

Mattyd, if this violates the spirit of the rules you set, I am willing to forfeit my turn in favor of someone else.

Now, on to the riddles.

Riddle the first:
Of rainbow hue, though often gold,
an ancient story, rarely told.
Formed by wood, made thick and thin,
a hidden secret lies within.

Riddle the second:
Though not a plant, this tiny flower,
lies within its watery bower.
As solo forms, each is small,
yet walls they build exceeding tall.

Riddle the third:
In original making it needed the light,
its final formation is black as the night.
Ancient formation, of wood under sea,
what could this strange mystery be?

Riddle the fourth:
Though held for last, I'm by no means the least,
Great riches I yield unto those in the East.
Strange it does sound, and strange it may be,
my mother, in fact, was named after me!

Overall riddle -
What bond, what thread, what common strings,
link these strange and wondrous things?

Happy solving.

Just a guess, EnderX... Sounds a bit like the birth of a pearl on a coral reef.....

i'm thinkin life in general is the answer overall

i can only figure the second and fourth

second sounds like algae people always mistake it for plants but really a cingle celled orginism bonding together

and fourth sounds like opium, china got rich off it and i not sure but i think the plant wasn't orignially the opium plant but something else like poppi or something lol

but that's all i got lol

EnderX---
Could we be looking for amber and pearls in an ebony treasure chest where a vessel sank along a coral reef? If so, whose is it?

--- and do you have the map? lol

This riddle won't let me go... I have now officially become distracted... This is a good one... jb

@JBarry:
Sorry, no map, and last I checked, no treasure chest either. You are on the right track otherwise, though...please number your answers.

@Esilver:
You're thinking of the opium poppy, however. What you said about it was true, but that's not the answer. Sorry, no drugs involved.
On the overall, you're close, but not quite there.

EnderX;
You asked for numbers...

What I gather in the first riddle leads me to believe it is amber. It comes in various colors, mainly represented as a golden substance, was known in ancient times, was believed through the ages to hold mysterious powers, was considered valuable, is a solidified form of a sap of a type of conifer, and has been discovered by many to have within its recovered pieces the remains of different bugs that became subsequently imprisoned--- extinct, ancient bugs.

The second riddle leads me to believe coral is involved. Not a plant, but an animal, each part is very small and beautiful; but, gathered together, coral can form some of the most treacherous and sharp reefs known.

The third riddle makes me think of ebony. This wood is prized for its color, its durability, its ability to take a lustre, and its incredible density. It is so dense that it will not float; and it, too, was known by the ancients--- who used it for fine cabinetry and ornamental pieces.

The fourth appears to be pearl. This, too, was highly prized through the ages; and, the East was where many pearls were harvested. Everyone has, of course, heard of "Mother of Pearl" also.

So it seems we have something involving treasure, ornamentals, trade, the East, and possibly a reef--- not to mention the sea. Now you can see why I asked about a map. Lacking that, You do, of course, still hold the key... Now you've got my numbers. (Even if I am way off-base.) Excellent riddle.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.