why is the # key called the pound key?

i call it the hash key as thats what telephone voicemail services tell you it is.

I'm in America. Every time I've heard that particular emblem referenced, especially in telephone situations, it's been called the pound key. Only reason I can come up with is because people used to pound on it, and that's my own guess, not anything even remotely likely. I've never heard it called the hash key before.

Of course, in the case of that keyboard, the real pound key is the Shift+3 combination, right?

Member Avatar for rkamin1

i like th big L enter keys

I'll have to agree with jbennet on the big enter key, although I haven't seen one on a new keyboard here in years, or at least until the Optimus 103 is released with its big SQUARE enter key...

Personally, I use a Logitech Mx510 series mouse. A big mouse to rest my entire hand on. I enjoy it thoroughly, plus forward and back buttons on the thumbside for easy web navigating

I don't have a preference for keyboard except that it's not an ergo slant . I know itll probably result in carpal tunnel, but I can't get used to them.

-Robbie

is the # really called pound in the USA?

here when u ring up to say, top up your mobile phone its like:

Push 1 to top up with a voucher etc....

(push key)

Type in your voucher number followed by the hash key

(number)#

here when u ring up to say, top up your mobile phone its like:

Yes, I've also heard it called the hash key though, and even the sharp key, as in music, or C#.

What does it mean to "top up" your mobile phone?

mobile = cellphone

most people in the UK dont have a mobile phone contract (where you get a bill at the end of the month)

instead they buy vouchers of values such as £5, £10, £20 at newsagents etc... in order to add credit to thier account. This is better for teens etc who dont have a credit card or those who may only use thier phone maybe once a month

I was curious so had a look on wikipedia.

Number sign is one name for the symbol #, and is the preferred Unicode name for the codepoint represented by that glyph. The symbol is similar to the musical symbol sharp (♯). Several names for this symbol are used in the United States and Canada. In most other English-speaking countries, it is called a hash.

Isn't this going out of topic????

OK, I have newer edition of narue keybord, its Logitech G15 wouldn't belive it on the begining but it is realy practical keybord
Mice, I have another product of Logitech MX518, love the side buttons for moving backward&forward, I always miss them on any other mouse which I have to use

>I have newer edition of narue keybord, its Logitech G15
I looked at that, but none of my research showed the LCD to be useful beyond a small range of games. Hardly worth an extra $30USD. Do you actually make use of it? That's the only difference between the two keyboards. ;)

heres a question...

trackpads or trackballs? (on laptops)

what do you prefer (i like the thinkpad style trackballs)

oooo....track pads if I HAVE to settle :D

>I have newer edition of narue keybord, its Logitech G15
I looked at that, but none of my research showed the LCD to be useful beyond a small range of games. Hardly worth an extra $30USD. Do you actually make use of it? That's the only difference between the two keyboards. ;)

Yes I do use that LCD, now living on London I like to listen to some Slovak radios online, with winamp it does show additional info, like when you listen to your MP3 and it does show inerpret and song, this does show name of moderator and name of show and some other messages send by radio once they do competitions. Plus there is other functionalities related to other software I use.
But to be fair it is hopeless for games :rolleyes:, there is too much information displayed on keybord LCD so is no point take attention from game to look-up info on LCD, only positive point I always know whats the time:cheesy: . But I bought g15 because g11 wasn't aviable on UK market that time

i prefer the balls

why is the # key called the pound key?

i call it the hash key as thats what telephone voicemail services tell you it is.

Yes, it's pound in the States. # is the symbol used for a pound weight. For example -- 2# of flour.
And the phones really do say "press the pound key."

isnt pound lb?

thats what we say if we go to the butchers and ask for x pounds of meat

isnt pound lb?

thats what we say if we go to the butchers and ask for x pounds of meat

Yes. pound, lb, # all mean the same think. Like television, TV and telly. Or elevator, lift, and that little room that goes up and down and makes me "blow chunks"*

*or
Hurl
Tossing Your Cookies
Calling for Ralph
Technicolor Yawn
Pavement Pizza
Praying to the Porcelain God
Driving the Porcelain Bus
Burping in 3-D

See, lots of different ways ... erp ... to express ... erppp ... 'scuse me....

back to the original topic: :)

I just got an old win98 pc and it has a (logitech?) mouse. really wierd in that you do not move the mouse to move the cursor, you instead move a ball on the side of the mouse.

wierd, but very good for games after you get used to it

anyone else ever used one of theese?

Agreed with jbennet..

I've never seen'#' used to mean pound (lb.)...;)

also in relation to post #45

telly = custard and jelly

hash all the way baby...

anyway...

my favourite keyboard? the one thats attached to my laptop. my old top had the shfit shape enter key, taken months to get used to the big enter again.

mouse? PCLine WN01 - a tiny little laptop mouse, with blue scroll wheel and laser not ball. it fits perfectly in my little hands. :)

also in relation to post #45

telly = custard and jelly

I heard of that slang style. I've never quite understood how specific phrases become 'universal' though. It seems so ambiguous... They're quite interesting, though.

i like the red mousey things on IBM thinkpads.

The technical term for them is 'nipples'.

lol

i personaly prefer graphics tablets
much more accurate than a mouse at drawing by miles.

yeah silly serunson tried to play me at C&C generals using a graphics tablet :)

it worked didnt it beat u everytime except once
when u ganged up on me

Keyboard\Dell:I use the default, black keyboard. Good enough.

Optical Mouse\ Logitech: I go through too many batteries all the time. As long as I have batteries I could care less the brand\type of laser mouse. (I detest cabled mice, though :()

I am not much of a hardware geek; although I adore high-tech gear and the faster and newer the machine the better, I do not get much into all the hardware debates and discussions, really. I find it quite boring.

Regards,
Matty

is your dell keyboard the old style one or the new one (with the HUGE spacebar)

is your dell keyboard the old style one or the new one (with the HUGE spacebar)

I guess it is the old one-- not sure-- spacebar seems to be usual size. The machine's about 3-4 years old.

i still use the factory keyboard and mouse~lol
but it aint too bad
good use of the quick play/stop/next/previous music mode buttons

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.