Hehe, well as most philosophers agree, logic cannot describe a divine being. So yes, it would be 'illogical" ;)

And I'm pretty sure infinity does exist.

Would you rather believe that you lived in paradise, or in hell? Simply because you believe in something does not simply make it true.

And secondly, why can't you believe in both? I know I sure do.

i do believe in both, just not to the extent that you do. :mrgreen:

Hehe, well as most philosophers agree, logic cannot describe a divine being. So yes, it would be 'illogical" ;)

And I'm pretty sure infinity does exist.

hah you are right about the 'illogical' pun... But infinity does not actually exist.. It is not a real number, nothing has ever lived forever. Every nation will eventually be destroyed, every human will eventually die, everything... including the human race

So what hope do you have when you die?

why is this unlikely, but not in the single case of the human evolving from what would seem to be a ludacris species or organism at one point? How is human evolution from one species more likely than that of another; why is it not considered extremely unlikely now?

Well, truthfully, every mutation that develops into a new species is extremely unlikey. When a mutation occurs, there is an extremely high chance that the organism will die. However, this very small probability that survive slowly differ and differ.

"evolving from what would seem to be a ludacris species or organism at one point?"

I personally wouldn't call it ludacris. Fact states that the Rhesus Monkey (our closest living relative, from what I recall) and Homo sapiens (us) are ~98% the same, according to DNA evidence.

"How is human evolution from one species more likely than that of another;"

Well it all really depends on the amount of shared genes. How much do you know about genetics? I ask this simply to find a place to begin an explanation.

At least we have hope after death.

"We" being all humans? ;)

"We" being all humans? ;)

No, lol. We meaning the people who choose to follow Christ.

hah that is true, I believe more in the nihilistic philosophy of nothing. After we die, nothing will happen. You believe in hope and redemption for the human race, and I believe everything is insignificant. Our puny planet is nothing compared to the Universe, and our lives will mean nothing.

I would rather be more optimistic, but I have come to this conclusion on my own...

well, my lie has cured cancer... has your truth done that yet?

True statements, there have been instances when cancer has receded without a known cause. However, the key word in this is "known." For all we know, it's due to process not yet discovered. Or, it could be very much due to God.

Evolution has actually been critical in understanding HIV/AIDS.

Because of the monkeys! Of course.

True statements, there have been instances when cancer has receded without a known cause. However, the key word in this is "known." For all we know, it's due to process not yet discovered. Or, it could be very much due to God.

You're right, a process not yet discovered could have coincidentally cured someone of cancer the same week she was prayed for. ;)

well, my lie has cured cancer... has your truth done that yet?

haha you seem so sure.. what about a coincidence? Humans do not know everything, and never will.. Science may one day explain these phenomena

No, lol. We meaning the people who choose to follow Christ.

:)

Slightly off topic, but I'm somewhat curious about your point of view on something.

If only those people that know Christ can be saved, then what happens to those individuals who never get the chance to know Him. For example, let's use a remote Amazonian tribe. If they're never exposed to Him, and never have the opportunity to learn about Him, are they comdemned to eteral doom?

(Sorry, I like debating. ;))

No, cancer hasn't just receded without a known cause... I have witnessed it several times at my own church... so why isn't it happening to other people? They believed on God to heal them and it happened... but people refuse to believe that because they have so little faith.

You're right, a process not yet discovered could have coincidentally cured someone of cancer the same week she was prayed for. ;)

I will assume that was meant in sarcasm, but I think it's true with no sarcasm present. ;)

While I have no data, I'm sure that the vast majority of cancer patients are religious, and pray on a daily, if not weekly, basis.

I've been asked this many times, and there are two oppinions on this. I choose the later oppinion, as it is most accurate according to the scriptures.

1) they are forgiven because of ignorance (like a baby)

2) that is why the bible says to go out unto all the nations proclaiming the Word.. it's our job as christians to tell those people about Christ

*didn't mean to answer for tina :P

While I have no data, I'm sure that the vast majority of cancer patients are religious, and pray on a daily, if not weekly, basis.

I'm sure once people discover they have cancer, they will immediately go to god... no matter their previous beliefs...

:)

Slightly off topic, but I'm somewhat curious about your point of view on something.

If only those people that know Christ can be saved, then what happens to those individuals who never get the chance to know Him. For example, let's use a remote Amazonian tribe. If they're never exposed to Him, and never have the opportunity to learn about Him, are they comdemned to eteral doom?

(Sorry, I like debating. ;))

Thanks for that question... I have always wondered about that. But what I truly and sincerely believe is that first off, it is our duty to send missionaries over to remote countries where there is no word of a God or anything else to try and teach them. Second, I believe that God's mercy, grace, and love is measureless.... I do not think He would condemn them to hell. It wasn't their fault they didn't hear the truth. But in the end, God will decide.

I actually heard of a research project one group did with patients... they had peopel pray for one half and the other noone prayed; the patients were unaware of this.

I can't recall the exact outcome, though I know there was a very significant difference in the two groups; the prayed-for patients did much better is certain areas... i wish i would have researched it more.

I actually heard of a research project one group did with patients... they had peopel pray for one half and the other noone prayed; the patients were unaware of this.

I can't recall the exact outcome, though I know there was a very significant difference in the two groups; the prayed-for patients did much better is certain areas... i wish i would have researched it more.

yea.. I highly doubt it had anything to do with religion. It's too hard to do an experiment like that b/c of all the variables involved. The people who prayed probably felt more confident, and maybe had a better chance at survival...

Thanks for that question... I have always wondered about that. But what I truly and sincerely believe is that first off, it is our duty to send missionaries over to remote countries where there is no word of a God or anything else to try and teach them. Second, I believe that God's mercy, grace, and love is measureless.... I do not think He would condemn them to hell. It wasn't their fault they didn't hear the truth. But in the end, God will decide.

"God will decide"

Couldn've said it better myself. :)

But yea, that was the major question that really turned me off frm religion for awhile.

Duki> I acutually remember that study! I thought the outcome was that there was a slightly higher rate of survival among those that prayed. However, the difference was so small that statistical tests proved it random chance. (looking for the results now, though.)

yea.. I highly doubt it had anything to do with religion. It's too hard to do an experiment like that b/c of all the variables involved. The people who prayed probably felt more confident, and maybe had a better chance at survival...

exactly the reason i put in the part saying the patients did not know

exactly the reason i put in the part saying the patients did not know

Yea, I'm saying the patients who prayed probably felt more confident then those who did not. Even if they did not know about it, the fact is that those who believe in god usually have a greater will to live. They think god will help them, and so they feel self-assured... Which is the whole purpose for christianity, to make people feel more important and confident about themselves.

Yea, I'm saying the patients who prayed probably felt more confident then those who did not. Even if they did not know about it, the fact is that those who believe in god usually have a greater will to live. They think god will help them, and so they feel self-assured... Which is the whole purpose for christianity, to make people feel more important and confident about themselves.

ok... they didn't pray... other people prayed for them... read the post before replying plz... how would they not be aware that they were praying??

says nothing about one half being religious and the other not being...

ok... they didn't pray... other people prayed for them... read the post before replying plz... how would they not be aware that they were praying??

says nothing about one half being religious and the other not being...

Calm down dude, I didn't catch it the first time either.

oh soz.. then what stein said is probly true, "the difference was so small that statistical tests proved it random chance"

Why does he need to calm down? Lol I don't think he's overreacting or anything.

..aww, everyone jump all over the atheist.. lol

Calm down dude, I didn't catch it the first time either.

sorry, just aggitated... everything that is said, including from you, a post is made from him trying to prove it wrong or unlikely... =/

what was that about open mindedness?

sorry, just aggitated... everything that is said, including from you, a post is made from him trying to prove it wrong or unlikely... =/

what was that about open mindedness?

thats not true.. I'm just trying to show yal the other side of it.. its 1 v. 3 here, i have 3 times the work to do

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.