That would explain why you are an atheist. Lol. I kid. I kid. But a lot of people tend to abandon their parents beliefs when it is strict like orthodox catholic.

hmm.. Well, my entire family have been strict catholics (including all my aunts and uncles.. my parents want me to marry a catholic lol).. my three brothers are the exact same way I was.. I was never really rebellious.. I've never had any reason not to believe in God.. Like, I know some people convert when their parents die or something, but that is just b/c of loss and shouldn't really count.. No one in my immediate family has died (grandparents, uncles, great grandparents).. yet. My grandmother does have Alzheimer's, which is probably the worst disease any human could ever be diagnosed with ever.. I am pretty sure that I would rather kill myself than live with Alzheimer's. But truthfully, I had no reason to turn against the church. In fact, when I first began thinking of atheism and nihilism (I didn't know what it was called at first), I seriously thought that I was the only person to have ever thought that way b/c I was so sheltered from the rest of the world. After a little research, and discovery of some philosophies like nihilism, I began to think a great deal about it.. the meaning of life, my purpose, my existence without the presence of god, what life would be like without god, etc..

Naw, I truly think that I discovered atheism on my own without any push at all from family, friends, etc. I discovered the truth through myself, and I am glad that I did so early in my life.

well said. I agree with you about altzheimers. Some members of my family have it. Its terrible.

my grandmother has it, its really awful. I agree with josh, I would rather die than slowly decay...

I don't know any atheists that have gone through with their choice till the end.

I'd be scared to death.

I don't know any atheists that have gone through with their choice till the end.

I'd be scared to death.

Why? Because you would not be a believer?.
Look it at this way. If you don't believe in anything, and you die, and
you find out that there's a life after death. Hey! Whoohoo!, time to celebrate. More fun to have.
If you don't believe in anything after death and you die, and there's nothing, well, too bad, you will never know. I think is not a bad position to be after all.
And I am a believer as you know. So don't look at me that way. ;)

Why? Because you would not be a believer?.
Look it at this way. If you don't believe in anything, and you die, and
you find out that there's a life after death. Hey! Whoohoo!, time to celebrate. More fun to have.
If you don't believe in anything after death and you die, and there's nothing, well, too bad, you will never know. I think is not a bad position to be after all.
And I am a believer as you know. So don't look at me that way. ;)

Amen! lol.. you hit it on the dot.. I've been trying to explain that to her.. Christians say, well it is a safe bet to just believe in God, but it actually isn't.. As you said, if we die and there is an afterlife.. WOOHOO! If not, hey.. that's exactly what we predicted.. too bad we wouldn't be able to rub it in your faces lol

Amen! lol.. you hit it on the dot.. I've been trying to explain that to her.. Christians say, well it is a safe bet to just believe in God, but it actually isn't.. As you said, if we die and there is an afterlife.. WOOHOO! If not, hey.. that's exactly what we predicted.. too bad we wouldn't be able to rub it in your faces lol

Hey buddy that doesn't mean I just signed in with you neither. ;)
Much of all this God thingy has just gotten out of control.

Oh I know.. I am just happy for a little bit of mutual agreement :)

Oh I know.. I am just happy for a little bit of mutual agreement :)

LOL, I love that one.

Everyone has their opinions.

True.

Everyone has their opinions.

But mine is the only that counts. Speaking metaphorically.

lol.. what is the metaphor in that sentence, and what is it referring to?

Me as the collective ego that is in everyone of us. Obviously, I can not be everyone, so I can't be refering to it, literally.

ah, ok.

Wow.. this thread has the most replies in the entire Geek's Lounge! :)

That's what happens when you get into serious religious debate lol.

hah.. yea, I just thought I would bring this thread back to life as it was this thread that actually influenced me to become a true Daniweb member. Prior to my posting here on page 1, I had 7 total posts, and like 0 rep.

I wonder how many people have actually read this whole thing..

Other places often also make recommendations about resurrecting dead or stale threads with pointless or irrelevant remarks.

Hey, this is the Geek's lounge.. and everything is pointless, why try to differentiate the things that are more pointless than the others? Besides, I liked this thread.. :)

Hey, this is the Geek's lounge.. and everything is pointless, why try to differentiate the things that are more pointless than the others? Besides, I liked this thread.. :)

True, true, and true. And I think true but my cold is still f-ing with me.

I just thought I'd mention to any "MySpacers" some of the rules/guidelines that have been skirted all too regularly as of late.

At one time this site's rules also included a link to the grandaddy of them all:
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

[edit]I try to (re)read it several times a year.

What does this mean- "Myspacers"?

What does this mean- "Myspacers"?

M'kay, bear with me.

The recently new members who tend to be in the 18 & under category that tend to answer questions with "What?", "Huh?", "Lol", etc. -- one-line responses vastly outnumbering thoughtful conversations. That sort of thing, more or less.

[edit]I thought this discussion already took place not long ago.

commented: This discussion [i]did[/i] take place not too long ago. +13

Well Mr. Mackey, I hate myspace :)

.. and whats up with this teenage stereotyping that seems to be popular now?

The unfortunate grouping tends to be a result of the person posting. [edit]And to be more specific, the posts themselves, looked upon as a whole.

The recently new members who tend to be in the 18 & under category that tend to answer questions with "What?", "Huh?", "Lol", etc. -- one-line responses vastly outnumbering thoughtful conversations. That sort of thing, more or less.

I'm guilty.

I'm guilty.

As am I. However, I'd like to inform those older members that we, the younger crowd, grew up with instant messaging, text messaging, myspace, facebook, etc. These have greatly influenced our posting methods.. Perhaps you think it degrades the quality of this community, but we see no problem with it.

As am I. However, I'd like to inform those older members that we, the younger crowd, grew up with instant messaging, text messaging, myspace, facebook, etc. These have greatly influenced our posting methods.. Perhaps you think it degrades the quality of this community, but we see no problem with it.

It's looked down upon by those who were raised otherwise (read as, "I wanna be seen as a little kid"), and I thought that those doing it should be aware of it. It is not a problem as long as suitable content eventually comes about. The intervening blather is merely tedious and leads to the stereotype. If you're dandy with the stereotype, no concerns; if you don't care for it, you've been given a remedy. FWIW.

[edit]BTW, I'm quite sure you could find one-liners of my own, but that is typically in context of provoking a larger discussion. [And once again the cold takes hold of my brain...]

Wow.. this thread has the most replies in the entire Geek's Lounge! :)

BTW, FWIW, I think I'd already gone through this one previously. ;)

[One liner :D ]

It's looked down upon by those who were raised otherwise (read as, "I wanna be seen as a little kid"), and I thought that those doing it should be aware of it. It is not a problem as long as suitable content eventually comes about. The intervening blather is merely tedious and leads to the stereotype. If you're dandy with the stereotype, no concerns; if you don't care for it, you've been given a remedy. FWIW.

It's looked down upon, because you older people are not used to it. WE do not see it as you do. It has been the norm for us, but not for you. If it was the other way around, and the older people had grown up with IM, and we had not.. then it would not be frowned upon. This is just the differences in the generation gap.. What yall grew up with isn't exactly what we grew up with.. I find your remarks to be ironic, as I'm sure your parents have many different views than you. Perhaps they find e-mail to be impersonal and rude.. Or they think sitting in front of a computer and programming all day long is not a true job. (I'm using random examples assuming the generation of your parents to be technologically inept.)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.