It's looked down upon, because you older people are not used to it. WE do not see it as you do. It has been the norm for us, but not for you. If it was the other way around, and the older people had grown up with IM, and we had not.. then it would not be frowned upon. This is just the differences in the generation gap.. What yall grew up with isn't exactly what we grew up with.. I find your remarks to be ironic, as I'm sure your parents have many different views than you. Perhaps they find e-mail to be impersonal and rude.. Or they think sitting in front of a computer and programming all day long is not a true job. (I'm using random examples assuming the generation of your parents to be technologically inept.)

Not at all. I understand this perfectly well.

I just felt that it was worthwhile to mention.

Punctuation and spelling is greatly appreciated by "us". We value it more than some -- where is my link to weasel words? -- care to know.

But all too often we are given the overwhelming choice to treat it as the exception rather than the rule. This is not a matter for "us" to give in to "you", but "you" to "respect" "us"?

DAMN the cold. And the beer too.

hah.. yea, I understand that we are younger, and should do as yall ask (for the most part anyway). You old farts have all the authority in this community.. ;)

hah.. yea, I understand that we are younger, and should do as yall ask (for the most part anyway). You old farts have all the authority in this community.. ;)

I don't think so. We just rattle a few chains once in a while.

[D'oh! Another one-liner! I censor myself for the rest of the night.]

Josh, if you will notice all the people here who are against discussions like 'lolz', 'lmao' etc. are the ones who are much older than you, currently supporting and having a family, working in a more professional environment etc etc. Call us old hags, senile if you want us to, but yes, the facts are there in front of you.

That being said, I firmly believe kids should be given their own space so that they can think and make their own decisions, no point in forcing something on them. Time is the best teacher. Who knows, maybe in 2020 when someone posts a l337 post, you would be the first one to spank him. One never knows...

PS: You sure read some old posts. :-)

Josh, if you will notice all the people here who are against discussions like 'lolz', 'lmao' etc. are the ones who are much older than you, currently supporting and having a family, working in a more professional environment etc etc. Call us old hags, senile if you want us to, but yes, the facts are there in front of you.

Yes, thats what I was saying (Not the old hag part :(). It's the older people who are against it as they did not grow up using it as we have.

That being said, I firmly believe kids should be given their own space so that they can think and make their own decisions, no point in forcing something on them. Time is the best teacher. Who knows, maybe in 2020 when someone posts a l337 post, you would be the first one to spank him. One never knows...

Either that or spanking him for not using leet ;). Perhaps in the future it will be standard jargon..

PS: You sure read some old posts. :-)

Hah.. I came upon that one by accident, but I sure had a good laugh :D

[edit]Besides, the world ends in 2012, everyone knows that..

Yes, thats what I was saying (Not the old hag part :(). It's the older people who are against it as they did not grow up using it as we have.

It's merely this simple question: could you look up some random post of your own and understand it fully in context? If not, it too looks like non-English gibberish you might publicly complain about. If so, no worries. :)

Now, back to bed.

haha.. you woke up for that post ;)

And yea, every single one of my posts is clearly legible, and the meaning can be deciphered without much effort (Unless one does not know English).

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

-That is clearly readable..

...and you have a problem with which of those 1000s of posts?

The ones involving one or fewer lines of text. I thought you had inquired about that earlier within this thread in the recent past.

And yea, every single one of my posts is clearly legible, and the meaning can be deciphered without much effort (Unless one does not know English).

One-liners aren't bad. What if you can solve someone's problem in one line/sentence?

Most of the time, a 'Tech Talk' problem can be solved simply by saying:

"No, that is NOT a cup holder; Will you please remove your hot chocolate from the cd-rom drive? (okay, I may have overexaggerated a bit)

Understood, in proper context.

The problem becomes the lack of context. And that is why "those of your ilk" maintain a derogatory stigma. Don't kill the messenger.

commented: 'Dave Sinkula is really nice'. Don't kill the messenger. ;-) +23

hmm.. I see. Well, I would hardly consider the Geek's lounge formal.. Posts such as the ones you speak of should not be discriminated against here. When I post in the Techie's or java forums, I usually behave better, and I don't post nonsense.

Btw, as off-topic as this question may be, Is your avatar a pic of your son?

> Is your avatar a pic of your son?
No, he is Dave. :D

PS: Sorry Dave couldn't resist it.

commented: Danke +11

Isnt that dewey from maclom in the middle?

it really does look like him, except with a knitted / hippy top on.

[edit]Besides, the world ends in 2012, everyone knows that..

Huh? I've heard people say this... but why?

London is hosting the Olympics then, bound to fail miserably. :P
There talks an Englishman :P

its when XP SP2 reaches End Of Life. LOL

Huh? I've heard people say this... but why?

'Tis the end of the world according to the ancient Mayan civilization.. they had advanced technology in the field of astronomy, and have been very accurate in their astronomical predictions. They predicted the world to be destroyed on Dec. 23, 2012.. its all very strange.. but interesting nonetheless.

Well, England hosting a major event isn't too good either though, bound to end as a massive flop.
"2012, The worst Olympics to date"

'Tis the end of the world according to the ancient Mayan civilization.. they had advanced technology in the field of astronomy, and have been very accurate in their astronomical predictions. They predicted the world to be destroyed on Dec. 23, 2012.. its all very strange.. but interesting nonetheless.

Hmm... I think I overheard this story on the history channel today.

Wow.. this thread has the most replies in the entire Geek's Lounge! :)

And all because of useless posts like that one....

That's what happens when you get into serious religious debate lol.

Didn't the serious debate end months ago? And the past few hundred posts have nothing to do with the subject? :icon_wink:

It's looked down upon, because you older people are not used to it. WE do not see it as you do. It has been the norm for us, but not for you.

No, it's look down upon because it's not professional. Daniweb is a professional site, not a My Space clone.

If it was the other way around, and the older people had grown up with IM, and we had not.. then it would not be frowned upon. This is just the differences in the generation gap.. What yall grew up with isn't exactly what we grew up with..

But this is not IM. There is a place for that stuff, and a 'professional' setting is not it. The entire world is not IM.

My point being My Space and IM have their lingo and stuff. But that does not mean the rest of the web -- such as this forum -- must change to the new lingo. There is a communications protocol everywhere you go, and this forum desires a higher level than IM.

And what happens when you get into the real world and have to communicate with the old farts that actually sign your paychecks? Tell him to "deal with it?" Goo luck on your next job...

And all because of useless posts like that one....

Actually.. no. This thread is full of good posts.

Didn't the serious debate end months ago? And the past few hundred posts have nothing to do with the subject? :icon_wink:

Yea, pretty much.

No, it's look down upon because it's not professional. Daniweb is a professional site, not a My Space clone.

Once again, it is not professional to you, because you are not used to IM lingo. And, it's MySpace btw.

But this is not IM. There is a place for that stuff, and a 'professional' setting is not it. The entire world is not IM.

I never said it was. This 'professional' setting is based on your biased views of what professional is. However, 'professional' to you may not mean the same as what it is to others.

My point being My Space and IM have their lingo and stuff. But that does not mean the rest of the web -- such as this forum -- must change to the new lingo. There is a communications protocol everywhere you go, and this forum desires a higher level than IM.

And what happens when you get into the real world and have to communicate with the old farts that actually sign your paychecks? Tell him to "deal with it?" Goo luck on your next job...

*MySpace
*Good

Exactly. We obviously must do whatever the higher-ups tell us. If the admins/moderators/employers dislike "IM lingo" then obviously we should not use it. I am not complaining as it really makes no difference to me.

>Actually.. no. This thread is full of good posts.
Really?

Oh I know.. I am just happy for a little bit of mutual agreement :)

LOL, I love that one.

Everyone has their opinions.

True.

But mine is the only that counts. Speaking metaphorically.

lol.. what is the metaphor in that sentence, and what is it referring to?

Me as the collective ego that is in everyone of us. Obviously, I can not be everyone, so I can't be refering to it, literally.

ah, ok.

Wow.. this thread has the most replies in the entire Geek's Lounge! :)

That's what happens when you get into serious religious debate lol.

hah.. yea, I just thought I would bring this thread back to life as it was this thread that actually influenced me to become a true Daniweb member. Prior to my posting here on page 1, I had 7 total posts, and like 0 rep.

I wonder how many people have actually read this whole thing..

And that was just from the last page(s?). Not that there aren't "good" posts in this thread, but "full" implies that there's no room for anything else, i.e. it's pure debate and/or on-topic posts. That certainly isn't the case here.

>Once again, it is not professional to you, because you are not used to IM lingo.
Actually, I'm quite used to IM lingo, and I've used it on occasion, believe it or not. I still don't think it's professional.

>This 'professional' setting is based on your biased views of what
>professional is.
I guess Dani/Davey are kind of biased, too:

We strive to be a community geared towards the professional. We strongly encourage all posts to be in full-sentence English. Please do not use "leet" speak or "chatroom" speak.

It's unprofessional to 'us' because it's not using words. Professional language only uses dictionary words to make things as clear as possible to the maximum target audience.

>If the admins/moderators/employers dislike "IM lingo" then obviously
>we should not use it.
I'd say that it's probably the case.

And Josh, nice edit on your "MySpace" correction. I'm pretty sure I saw "Myspace" in two different locations in your post.

>Actually.. no. This thread is full of good posts.
Really?

Congrats, you found 11/1137 posts that were not really great. And as we have already agreed, the debate ended about 100 posts ago.

And that was just from the last page(s?). Not that there aren't "good" posts in this thread, but "full" implies that there's no room for anything else, i.e. it's pure debate and/or on-topic posts. That certainly isn't the case here.

No, by full I meant "complete especially in detail, number, or duration". This thread has a plethora of data, and we pretty much debated the thing to death.

Actually, I'm quite used to IM lingo, and I've used it on occasion, believe it or not. I still don't think it's professional.

Did you grow up using it?

It's unprofessional to 'us' because it's not using words. Professional language only uses dictionary words to make things as clear as possible to the maximum target audience.

Once again, what is the purpose of language? To communicate, right? If we write in this "IM lingo" then as long as people understand, it has fulfilled its purpose. IM lingo simply makes writing shorter.

And Josh, nice edit on your "MySpace" correction. I'm pretty sure I saw "Myspace" in two different locations in your post.

Yea, it can be MySpace or myspace or Myspace.. I just decided to go back and change it to the most proper way so I wouldn't get bashed for correcting someone incorrectly =p

he does have a point.

if we all spoke proper english we would be speaking like:

"ye sire i hath attendeth to thine peasants, how is thou foul wench?"

the nature of the english language is to change. 133t speak will be the norm in 100 years time, you just watch...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.