I don't remember, my GPA made me go through the evaluation process. Different schools have different requirements though; my school (UW) had a higher requirement than my sister's school (WSU). That's largely determined by the demand to get admitted to the specific school. One problem with this system though is that it doesn't account for the actual classes taken. I had several AP and other challenging classes, but other students who had taken an easier load and did equally well on the SAT might have gotten a direct admit.

Thats what it is like here in the UK. We use UCAS points.

What grades we get at GCSE (16) and A level (18) depend what universities we can go to

E.g at A level:

A = 120 points, B = 100 poitns etc.....

to do comp/sci at a good university for example, you commonly would need:

B at GCSE maths
C at GCSE english
B at A level computing or maths
300 UCAS points

As most people do 3 A levels then that means you would need to get BBB.

I have a 4.0 GPA.

and what does that mean exactly? Our school uses a 5.0 scale..

5.0??
4.0 is the highest here.

Yea.. you get 5 points for As in AP courses. We also offer academic classes where you receive a 4.5 for As. Then there are regular classes where you receive a 4.0 for As. I have like a 4.63 and the valedictorian has like a 4.79? It makes it more competitive..

4.0?

I have a B average at GCSE and about the same at AS

4.0-5.0=a
3.0-3.9=b
2.0-2.9=c
1.0-1.9=d
0.0-.9=f

hmm well at GCSE i got:

tech C
english language A
english literature C
history C
ICT B
maths B
science AA
spanish B

so (im using lower end of the ranges, here ours go A* to G wtf is up with that)

2 + 4 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 3 +8 + 3 / 9 = 3

so im a B average yay!

lol congrats.. My worst subject is English and literature too.. The only class I get a "B" in..

I know. It was all screwed up. My language was a C before and it got put up to an A after remarking. WTF!

My high school also used a 4 point GPA scale, with A = 4, B = 3, etc... It was really annoying that we'd get a letter grade, which would give us a integral value for the class; it didn't matter if you had a 81% or 89%, it would still be a 3. There was nothing extra for AP classes (some places apparently will make AP classes based on a 5 point scale and keep the rest out of 4 points).

Here at my university, we still use a 4 point scale, but it's given in partial amount; that is, if you get between a 3 and a 4, it could be a 3.3 or a 3.6, etc...

lol congrats.. My worst subject is English and literature too.. The only class I get a "B" in..

Ditto, the half GCSE for RE doesn't count :D

I didnt have to do RE or ICT?
I had to do a language though....

commented: congrats on the 4th star!! -christina =) +7

I didn't have to do a language (opted to).

Everyone did short course (minimum - nearly all faild) IT. and a few did short course RE (if you passed the mock and wanted to)

oh, i opted to do IT. and yes, dont ask me why i chose to do resistant matericals technology (woodworking to you and me). The only reason i did that was because i had to choose either it, art or music and i was crappy at all of them but that involved powertools so i thaught it might be cool :)

lol, yeah i chose Textiles for similar reasons, except no powertools.

i picked geography, 'resistant materials' (government name) and ICT for my options. Got an A at geog! C for the other two

sweet8 on the A. You only picked 3? We had to do 4 along with double science, maths, english lang & lit and the default IT (which as i said above was shite). and PE (not a GCSE just a ... well something)

i did 10 subjects in total ~
triple science (3 grades)
german (lol)
eng lit and lang
ICT
Geog
Maths
Woodwork thing
5 A's ( i gd at science!)
2 B's ( i am slightly german)
3 C's ( ICt = crap teacher)

triple science? DAYUM. Double was boring enough lol. Congrats on the cool grades :)

Yeah, I did double but im struggling with AS a bit because it assumes we know lots of the triple stuff. I was in serunsons reistant materials class actually, he destroyed my coursework lol.

I got:

AAA
BBB
CCC

haha, best grades ever JB :D

i know. its great.

nice bennet but my science knowledge 'was' top notch ~ thanks hbk619
btw i didnt destroy it, chris and matt did that by glueing it shut:P
oh that lesson was so much fun ~ we had a teacher that looked like Mario lol

i got AA at double. bet if i did triple i would have done ok

~bump~

I like this thread :)

Ive decided what course I want to do at uni (if i get in). I want to do computer networking Bsc honours degree (4 years with one year working on the job, getting a cisco)

cisco? As in the ccna exam?

yeah the network cert

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.