Actually, its a well known fact that the lusitania was smuggling weapons

But still, the Germans were at fault because they purposely sank the ship without warning.

But still, the Germans were at fault because they purposely sank the ship without warning.

Well, that't not entirely true. Although I disagree with sinking "civilian" ships, the Germans declared unrestricted submarine warfare. Setting the reasons for war aside, if you put yourself in their position there wasn't much other choice. If they didn't sink any ship that came through, the British would have their blockade and have goods smuggled into their country. The unrestrictive submarine warfare was their warning before sinking the ship, and that's where I think the Allies were to blame for allowing a ship with civilians aboard through these waters after the Germans declared unrestricted submarine warfare. (I am by no means agreeing with the German army in world war one but I do see the logic in it).

I learned that the Germans sinking the ships, were in clear violation of international rules.

Yeah, that's true. They are at fault for that. But the allies were throwing everything at them and the only way they could stop it was by downing any ship delivering American goods to England. It's war. And nonetheless both England and the USA knew what would happen if the Lusitania was caught out in those waters. I don't agree with what they did, but I think we could have done something to stop it and we didn't.

True. There were a lot of mistakes made in history. That's why I think it's important to learn about it, so we don't repeat the past.

britian did the same in World War 1. We used out large navy to block german ports and starve the german people to death.

britian did the same in World War 1. We used out large navy to block german ports and starve the german people to death.

Were we not talking about WWI?

True. There were a lot of mistakes made in history. That's why I think it's important to learn about it, so we don't repeat the past.

i said that in relation to this post, we obviosuly didnt learn our lessons ;)

I learned some interesting stuff about history today in class. We had special guests from Turkmenistan come in and talk to us. The country used to be part of the U.S.S.R. before WW2 ended.

They talked about some very cool stuff. Their country is so much different than the US! I love learning about different cultures... it's all so interesting. Like today, I learned that most (or all?) of Europe wears their wedding band on the right hand instead of the left. =o

Wow. After trying to read this thread I'd have to say that the most interesting part about American history is the inability of a number of Americans to remember it. [Directed at no one in particular.]

same. thats why i like college, at college we have chinese, indian/pakistani, nepalese (lots of them because the gurrkas work at a place near us), bengali, you name it!, i like college. its a good place to meet different people

same. thats why i like college, at college we have chinese, indian/pakistani, nepalese (lots of them because the gurrkas work at a place near us), bengali, you name it!, i like college. its a good place to meet different people

That almost sounds like you've already drunk the Kool-Aid. It's meant to receive differing ideas. If they happen to come from people of differing backgrounds, who cares.

Diversity, inverted.

Pot. Kettle. Black

i find it funny how the usa is like WMDs are bad whereas they have huge stockpiles of them.

Yes but the people in charge aren't over-religious fundies.

Wait a minute...

haha, good one. But the United States is the most powerful country. Who's going to do anything about it. The USA thinks they have the authority to tell others they aren't responsible with WMD's but there's no one to check their responsibilty, especially considering they are the only country to use them (twice!).

In my area, there is no ethnic diversity whatsoever. I'm about as ethnic as it gets here. ;)
But as a result of this, many people here are very prejudice and discriminative towards anyone who does not look like a 'pure American.' As a child, I was always made fun of for looking Chinese, although I am 50% American and 50% Korean. It's really a sad thing to have discrimination in a country that is supposed to be one of the most ethnic diverse.
But that's usually only present in rural areas, big cities almost always have several different cultures and races.

apart from all the nuclear testing done by everyone else then yes, the US are the only ones ever to actually use them for combat

we get lots of foreigners in Britain. Mainly asians, but we cope with it. Its a very diverse society and good IMHO except for when Political Correctness gets out of hand. I think its because people here tend to mix rather than form very seperate social groups. Thats good

apart from all the nuclear testing done by everyone else then yes, the US are the only ones ever to actually use them for combat

yeah, my bad. I meant in combat.

Oh and I didn't mention about another thing I learned from yesterday.

In Turkmenistan, the gas is $0.10 a gallon.
10 cents!!! Can you believe that?

Yeah, it's really cheap around those areas. It's like twenty some cents in Kuwait. You guys hear about the boycott on the fifteenth of March? Nobody's buying gas. I don't think it will work that great but I'll be a part of it.

March or May?

Oh sorry. I meant May.

Hmm. I will probably take part in it also.

I think gas prices will probably go down if a Democrat gets elected in '08. It seems likely after people's dislike of Bush.

I think gas prices will probably go down if a Democrat gets elected in '08.

Thanks for that. I needed a good long chuckle.

Haha, yeah gas prices will never go down. But they always go down pretty low right before elections.

Haha, yeah gas prices will never go down. But they always go down pretty low right before elections.

Is this true?

Yeah, remember midterms this past year? They went back down into the two twenties around where I live. Maybe it depends more on where you live but our senator, Mike Dewine, was running for reelection. He lost to Sherrod Brown (Democrat). They probably do it because it makes people think, "Things are going fine the way they are" and makes it easier for the incumbents to get reelected.

Yeah, remember midterms this past year? They went back down into the two twenties around where I live. Maybe it depends more on where you live but our senator, Mike Dewine, was running for reelection. He lost to Sherrod Brown (Democrat). They probably do it because it makes people think, "Things are going fine the way they are" and makes it easier for the incumbents to get reelected.

Ahh, I didn't see any difference over here. But maybe I just wasn't paying attention. ;)

I don't know. Maybe you were in one of the states whose senators weren't up for reelection this year.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.