Haha, yeah gas prices will never go down.

Not that. As in, I'd expect them to do their damnedest to get 'em up to 5-6 bucks a gallon with "fixes".

I think gas prices will probably go down if a Democrat gets elected in '08. It seems likely after people's dislike of Bush.

Thanks for that. I needed a good long chuckle.

Agreed. Young folks just don't have the history us old-timers have...

Yeah, it's really cheap around those areas. It's like twenty some cents in Kuwait. You guys hear about the boycott on the fifteenth of March? Nobody's buying gas. I don't think it will work that great but I'll be a part of it.

Coincidentally, those are the areas that have a very good production rate, and (I'm assuming) no taxes on their fuel. Here in the US, we have less tax than most places (hence the reason it's so cheap here), but there's still plenty. I think it's like $0.389/gal for state taxes here, and then I'm pretty sure there's some national ones on top of that. Plus there's the costs of importing the oil, refining it (especially in states with stiff emissions requirements), and distributing it.

As for the boycott, I'll participate. I only fill up once or twice a month anyways, and I'm still at 3/4 of a tank. :P

haha, good one. But the United States is the most powerful country. Who's going to do anything about it. The USA thinks they have the authority to tell others they aren't responsible with WMD's but there's no one to check their responsibilty, especially considering they are the only country to use them (twice!).

I know I'm late in replying, but this one I'm not going to let slip by.

The United States of America is the only nation to have used Nuclear Weapons, which were used in battle. Key word here: Nuclear. Weapons of Mass Destruction are not limited to merely nuclear format, and other countries have used WMDs of their own, both in battle and for 'internal' reasons. Again, the United States is not the only nation to have used WMDs, and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't keep trying to denigrate the nation by claiming we are.

well, the difference is that the USA nuked japan because it could and because it wanted to send a political message whereas other countries (e.g britian with poison gas in WW1) actually had good reason to use it.

The US dropped Fat Man and Little Boy on Japan because it was determined (I do not know how accurately) that the projected bloodprice (X# Japanese dead)[$bpAlpha] of doing so was less than the projected bloodprice (Y# Japanese dead + Z# Allied dead)[$bpDelta] of attempting an invasion. If the original projections were correct, and $bpDelta > $bpAlpha, I'd say the decision was made for a good reason: To save those lives that fall into the range between the two.

Gosh WW2 is so interesting. :)

You seem leftish, but Netflix Patton.

The United States of America is the only nation to have used Nuclear Weapons, which were used in battle. Key word here: Nuclear. Weapons of Mass Destruction are not limited to merely nuclear format, and other countries have used WMDs of their own, both in battle and for 'internal' reasons. Again, the United States is not the only nation to have used WMDs, and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't keep trying to denigrate the nation by claiming we are.

My bad. When I think of WMD's I think mainly of nuclear weapons.

I'm not trying to denigrate the nation. I would rather live in this nation than most others, but no country is perfect. Everyone seems to think this one is and I like to point out necessary flaws that should be analyzed. There's a bit of hypocrisy in this nation, but it isn't the worst. It's not good to think that we live in a perfect 100% free country with no problems in it at all That just isn't true.

amen to that (same about mine)

So since this is about U.S. history and we haven't really talked about anything, I guess I will start a new topic. ;o)

We're learning about the Holocaust right now and it's hard to believe that some people still do not think it ever happened. What are your views on this? Why do you think they feel this way when there is so much evidence?

i like pizza

i like pizza

this isn't the anything and everything thread, duki.

Well, take the average conspiracy theory nut that thinks that 9/11 didn't happen or that the moon landing didn't happen. Then replace 9/11 or "moon landing" with "The Holocaust."

I'm having trouble verifying this (wikipedia's silent on it at the moment), but I'm fairly sure from what I've read elsewhere that the Shoah/Holocaust was at least partially responsible for the acknowledgement of the nation of Israel. And you'll notice that the most prominent Holocaust deniers also deny that Israel has any legitimacy...I'm fairly sure the two are therefore linked.

I like pizza too, but I think some people are driven more by emotion and prejudice than evidence. Maybe someone is just racist against Jews and thinks that the Holocaust was exaggerated and never really happened. Or maybe something traumatic happened to someone like their parents were killed and it just happened to be a jew who killed them (not that they do, just for example), it wouldn't be unlikely if that person began to develop a dislike or even hatred of Jews. After that it applies to anything they hear about it and they don't want people to sympathize with victims of the Holocaust because they don't think they deserve it. I mean racists are ignorant enough as it is, so it makes sense they would disregard hard evidence.

is it true that your are quitting daniweb, christina?

I wanted to.
WolfPack called me a b**** and has been very rude to me for a while now... he even gave me an infraction that was completely absurd so Davey reversed it. I just felt like everyone here seemed to think I was dumb or didn't know what I was talking about. Or they just didn't like me.
But I guess my best bet is to just shut up and not post as much... except on the games.

please dont go :(

The same person that called you a b**** gave you an infraction? That's a little gutsy. Did he ever get an infraction for that or did you let it go?

The same person that called you a b**** gave you an infraction? That's a little gutsy. Did he ever get an infraction for that or did you let it go?

Yeah, I think it's quite unfair.
I don't know, I guess I might just overlook it... but if I see something again, I'll let the administrators know.

But anyways... I learned something interesting today.
I will probably look completely absurd, but I found out that Marilyn Monroe had an affair with JFK? I never knew that! And she was also married to Arthur Miller, the author of 'The Crucible.'

I didn't read the entire thread. But, it's just the internet. Don't let people upset you. It's not worth it. People talk alot of smack when they are behind the safety of their own computer.

Back to the topic, I like historic sites. I really want to go to Normandy sometime in my life. Any place I can go to reflect on the sacrifice that was made is what would interest me.

commented: ;o) I like how you said 'smack,' I use that word all the time. Thanks for the advice. +9
commented: Good advice. +7

I went on a battlefields trip with my old histroy class to belgium. It was really good, you can go on organsied tours. I went to ypres, the somme, all the main graveyards, paschendale, the hooge crater etc...

What is your favorite/most interesting highlight in U.S. History?

Mine is WW2.

You (the US) joined a bit late though; you missed the early fun.

But anyways... I learned something interesting today.
I will probably look completely absurd, but I found out that Marilyn Monroe had an affair with JFK? I never knew that! And she was also married to Arthur Miller, the author of 'The Crucible.'

I never new it either, but that's not too surprising. JFK seemed to have a lot of 'on the side' relationships going on. I can't remember the woman's name, but apparently one of JFK's 'paramours' was also sleeping with Sam Giancana at the same time; Giancana is reputed to have told her he was responsible for putting 'your boyfriend' in the White House.

You (the US) joined a bit late though; you missed the early fun.

That's okay, FDR was busily scheming ways to get in for some time before that.

Yeah, JFK had an affair with Marylin Monroe. A lot of presidents have had affairs. FDR had one too. There are a few other presidents that had affairs that a lot of people don't know about. I guess all the power and fame and being away from the wife for long enough gets to their heads. That's one thing about JFK I just don't like. But he had a lot of good qualities. Like Clinton, morally he wasn't the greatest guy but as a president he did get some things done for us that were good (for republicans and democrats alike) like reduce the national deficit. I was told that if his plan would have been followed by Bush for the next however many years (I remember it was less than two terms) the deficit would be reduced to zero. But since it never happened that's up for debate. There's really no way to prove it right or wrong.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.