Recommended Answers

All 37 Replies

Its interesting. I think they should just change Austrian law so animals can receive donations.

I agree with the guy who thinks it's absurd. It is. Chimps are not humans.

Correct. While I agree it's absurd, they're about 99% identical, DNA-wise. :icon_biggrin:

well why not just change austrian law?

well why not just change austrian law?

Offhand, I think it would lead to a slippery-slope as to what's protected by law, and what isn't.

If Chimps can be called 'human,' legally, what would prevent Rhesus monkeys from not?

Edit

And then once the Great Apes are (hypothetically, of course) given legal status, what's the precedent? The current precedent is H. Sapien. Would we change the legal status to Homininae?

How about use-of tools? Would that determine what deserves legal status? Well even house-finches (birds) have been observed using tools.

Correct. While I agree it's absurd, they're about 99% identical, DNA-wise. :icon_biggrin:

How many other species are very similar DNA-wise? I never really took interest in that, but aren't a good bunch of things really pretty similar? Also, what is the average difference between humans? If we're identical to, say, 7 decimal points (99.99999%, don't you think 2 decimal points (99%) is quite removed? Again, I have very little idea of how similar DNAs are...

we got nutter here (closely linked to PETA, ALF, and other ecoterrorist groups) who go a step further. They want all animals to have the same "rights" as humans, a total ban on pet ownership (which they call slavery), everyone forcibly turned into a strict vegan (killing animals is murder in their book), etc.
What's worse, they've got 10 seats in parliament...

we got nutter here (closely linked to PETA, ALF, and other ecoterrorist groups) who go a step further. They want all animals to have the same "rights" as humans, a total ban on pet ownership (which they call slavery), everyone forcibly turned into a strict vegan (killing animals is murder in their book), etc.
What's worse, they've got 10 seats in parliament...

Wow :icon_eek: I hope they didn't get elected based on that as their platform...

Now tell me -- how far-fetched is the Planet of the Apes ?

commented: Too right! +9

The only way to stop animal cruelty is animal extinction.

Anyway, the line of ethics is going to get pretty trippy in the next century.

How many other species are very similar DNA-wise? I never really took interest in that, but aren't a good bunch of things really pretty similar? Also, what is the average difference between humans? If we're identical to, say, 7 decimal points (99.99999%, don't you think 2 decimal points (99%) is quite removed? Again, I have very little idea of how similar DNAs are...

It's not as much as you think--we're only 13% similar to common yeast, and yeast is considered an animal, so bacterae and plantae are less then that.

yeast is a fungus not an animal

The Fungi Kingdon is part of the Eukaryotic Domain...(which to most of the other people here means animal).

Um, plants are too. Are plants animals? No.

Neither are fungi. Animals are in the kingdom Animalia.

Good heavens I'm glad I didn't study biology -- ain't ignorance bliss ;) I'm not going to read this thread any more -- I might just learn something new.

Um, plants are too. Are plants animals? No.

Neither are fungi. Animals are in the kingdom Animalia.

:icon_mrgreen: Wow, I really duffed that..

yes, i am correct. I study biology and i have to coursework about yeast and it states in the brief that "yeast is a single celled fungus". You are correct in that it is eukaryotic but that does not make it an animal.

Agreed, I'm positive that fungi are not animals.

Right. I'll say it again, I completley duffed that.

Duffed?
(sorry, I'm not clear on the definition).

Duffed?
(sorry, I'm not clear on the definition).

As in, completely screwed that up.

I'm a funguy.... But I'm not really an animal. I'm better behaved.

I find it sad that new laws have to be passed because somehow stupid laws have been passed in the past (I like that sentence -- it alliterativy) and people by law can't do something reasonable.

commented: Funguy, eh? Cute. +10
commented: You always make me laugh with your sense of humor. +1

As in, completely screwed that up.

I see. ;)

"up the duff" can also mean pregnant by the way

Agreed, I'm positive that fungi are not animals.

ok ...
so the fungi is .............. ?

a dungi is a fungi, its a proper category.

there are

viri
fungi
bacterium
animals

ok ...
so the fungi is .............. ?

Exactly what jbennet said.

a dungi is a fungi

lol i should really preview what i write before hitting post ;)

If the chimps want special rights, let them compose and submit their own writs to the judges.

commented: Excellent Logic. +1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.