Just had my braces off today, so well happy bout that!

Anyone here have/had braces?

I now have to wear silly plastic 'retainers' to keep them in place.........i could be wearing them for up to 2 YEARS?!?!?!

What fun for me...........

christina>you commented: Yay! Straight teeth. :) +11

Recommended Answers

All 62 Replies

I had braces until 1 year ago (yay), those plastic things, Invisoline, are for like 2 months, then you get a real one.

Had them a few years back. Couldn't stop fidgiting with the rubber bands holding the wire into the metal; probably cost myself a year and my family a small fortune because of that.

I used to shoot them at the people in my class, got one in my teacher's mouth, she didn't notice, we all laughed for the rest of the day.

nice shot!
i had them too like last year, silly rubber things in your mouth, does a lot for such a simple thing

Hehe, more like lucky shot.

Braces, overall, su**ed

I had mine for 5 years (from when i was 11 until i was 16)

Just had my braces off today, so well happy bout that!

Anyone here have/had braces?

I now have to wear silly plastic 'retainers' to keep them in place.........i could be wearing them for up to 2 YEARS?!?!?!

What fun for me...........

you must be looking forward to a whole-full life with strait teeth. Congratulations.

I had braces for 4 years, got a retainer, broke it and didn't get a new one for a month, then ended up getting braces for another year and a half. Still wearing a retainer for the last 4 years too. I'm missing a tooth, so I can't get rid of the retainer until I get an implant.

Braces are hardly anything. Just wait until you try headgear coupled with braces and elastics. Two anchors are put onto the back molars, and then wires come out and attach to a strap that it placed on the back of the neck, which you wear at nighttime. At first it isn't painful, but as the wires are tightened (by instruction from the dentist), it becomes more and more painful...

I swear I didn't get a good night's sleep for about a year.

I had braces on and off 3 times for about 5 years. It was not fun at all. My teeth were really crooked, I had to have 6 teeth pulled before I could even get them put on! I got mine off about 3 years ago and have been wearing my retainer ever since... (the invisible one) but only at night. I learned my lesson from not wearing them the first 2 times. ;)

Always wear your retainer!

Same. I had to have like all my remaining baby teeth pulled out and then i had to have like 6 adult ones pulled out as well as having my wisdom teeth cut out.

I just got my wisdom teeth taken out last month. The holes in the back of my mouth are starting to heal, finally.

same. mine were really deep so they basically had to dig them out. i had holes for like 6 months ;(

Now i get the joys of slurred speech for the next couple of days ~ retched retainers.

One good thing (off with the braces) followed by a huge bad thing (retainers)......why do orthodontists cause us so much grief?

there sadistic....

True! ~ go on irc chat bennet!

But at least not as many people have jacked up teeth anymore. I'm glad I had braces. :)

Congrats!!!!!!

I hope ya continue to do well :)

Well im just about to get mine fixed :( . Well how many days do we have to keep them on. I have a Straight teeth but there's a gap in between. My doc says i have to wear it for 6 months and may be it can extend to an year.

That sounds about right.

Braces are hardly anything. Just wait until you try headgear coupled with braces and elastics. Two anchors are put onto the back molars, and then wires come out and attach to a strap that it placed on the back of the neck, which you wear at nighttime. At first it isn't painful, but as the wires are tightened (by instruction from the dentist), it becomes more and more painful...

I swear I didn't get a good night's sleep for about a year

ditto, except 6 months. At least five times i tried to pull the damn thing out while ASLEEP! That my friend is hatred, mine was a slight variation, it was a removable brace and there was a metal bar which attached to that, plastic round my neck and elastic over my head. At one point i woke up with the metal bar wedged between my teeth and the bit it was supposed to be in the removable brace... pain like i've never felt. And i'm a girl.

Had train tracks (fixed) after that, then retainersthat lasted 6 months before i stopped wearing them. Now my teeth have moved back slightly. *sigh*.

I feel your joy at losing the braces though, did you have coloured ones? I got the colours changed everytime i went back. Was awesome.

... pain like i've never felt. And i'm a girl.

Hehe, I hear ya. ;)

lol i'm glad someone does :D

No colour choice for me ~ plain old metal that rips the inside of your mouth to shreds, ugh.
Retainers are really annoying me, the amount of saliva my mouth is making is way above normal, i just keep on making more, for at least 3 months this is gunna keep going on for, what fun for me........

Do you have to wear them all the time? It should be cut down within a week to just nighttime. But yeah, drool is normal.

Sadly i have to where them 24/7 (except for when eating ~ major relief!) for at least3 months, cause that is when my next appointment is. Slurred speech has kicked in, good job first year of Sixth Form is nearly over! I don't need to talk!

hehe, yeah it's damn near impossible to eat with them in. Hey wanna feel pain? Crunch your teeth down real hard.

In good news, your speech should go back to normal soon though.

I wear my retainer all the time. I even eat with it in, which I probably shouldn't but it's easier IMHO.

I can eat Grapes with them in, but nothing hard. They told me that they cost a huge £58.50 each to get a replacement ($120).
Ridiculous.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.