Ah, perhaps I am mistaken.. but I always thought that Opus dei actually separated from the church entirely..

no way... opus dei is one of the strongest (if not the strongest) subdivision of catholicism... with its head in Spain... i think... not a long time ago its creator,Saint Josemaría Escrivá de Balaguer, was made a saint... i guess it was in 2001 or 2002...

and, by the way... it is nothing like that crap they talk about in The DaVinci Code... they don't self mutilate for forgiveness or things like that... actually, that book was forbidden in Opus Dei because of they way it talks about it...

Are you an Opus Dei member?

If they don't do that then why was in incorporated in the Da Vinci Code? (and don't worry, most people don't believe the ideas in that book anyway. lol)

Well, I thought its portrayal of Opus Dei was factual.. I guess not then lol

>>Are you an Opus Dei member?
yup... my school is opus dei, so i had no choice... hehe

>>If they don't do that then why was in incorporated in the Da Vinci Code?
because of the same reason according to the DaVinci Code Jesus and Magdalene were married and had a child, and Magdalene is buried below the Louvre, and the Holy Grial is a woman... i mean... that guy certainly has imagination...

Yeah, but Dan Brown just wanted to present an idea when it came to that. With the Opus Dei there is no idea because it still exists today. It would seem that he would want all his facts straight. Are there any Opus Dei members that use self mutilation at all, even if only a few?

nope... not at all... or if they do self mutilate, they need psychological help right away... because it is not characteristic of opus dei to do that... instead, the center of the ideals of the opus dei is that sanctity is obtained by offering to God your every-day actions, like work, study or sports...

Hmm...I wonder why he made it that way in the book then? It would seem that he would lose credibility that way and credibility is exactly what he needs to get such a controversial idea considered.

And that's exactly why his book is in the fiction section.

I never heard much controversy about Opus dei.. People were just pissed off about the idea that Jesus had a kid.. Which is completely reasonable. Most jews got married and had kids.. it was looked down upon if such a thing did not happen. I would not be surprised if Jesus and Mary Magdeline had married.. The dead sea scrolls seem to represent this idea clearly.

Most jews got married and had kids..

The thing is, Jesus wasn't 'most jews' ...

I never heard much controversy about Opus dei.. People were just pissed off about the idea that Jesus had a kid.. Which is completely reasonable. Most jews got married and had kids.. it was looked down upon if such a thing did not happen. I would not be surprised if Jesus and Mary Magdeline had married.. The dead sea scrolls seem to represent this idea clearly.

That's absolutely true. It would seem that if Jesus didn't have a wife there would be an explanation for such a thing in the Bible but there isn't. At the time it would be very strange not to have a wife. There are also a lot of books, in fact the majority, that weren't included in the Bible that many believe should have been. Even some books that are in the Bible were debated on whether they should be in there or not. Such as the book of Ezra which does not even mention the Lord at all. Although I don't think Jesus had a wife or kid, I wouldn't be surprised and I still don't necessarily think it would be wrong, anymore than I think the Earth not being the center of the solar system is wrong (the opposite of an earlier claim by the catholic church).

>>The thing is, Jesus wasn't 'most jews' ...

exactly... think about it... according to christians, Jesus is God Himself, who became a man. Does God have a wife? Then why would Jesus Christ have to have a wife... that's why it is said that Jesus's wife is the church herself...

And... if Jesus had a wife, why wouldn't priests have wives themselves? if they are supposed to live their life as Jesus and his disciples, they would be allowed to be married...

Isaiah 53:2

"He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him."

commented: nice backup... thnx +2

exactly... think about it... according to christians, Jesus is God Himself, who became a man. Does God have a wife? Then why would Jesus Christ have to have a wife...

Because Jesus wasn't god.

There is something we, christians call the Sacred Trinity (i don't know for sure if that's the proper english name), which are the three persons of God: The Father,The Son, and The Holy Ghost... The three of them are mentioned in The Creation: The Father, The Son, who came from the Father, and the Holy Ghost, who came from the Father and the Son. In the New Testament, the Father is mentioned as the Father, the Son, as Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost is mentioned as a white dove...

That's why we call Jesus the "Son of God", because He is the second person of the Sacred Trinity...

exactly... think about it... according to christians, Jesus is God Himself, who became a man. Does God have a wife? Then why would Jesus Christ have to have a wife... that's why it is said that Jesus's wife is the church herself...

And... if Jesus had a wife, why wouldn't priests have wives themselves? if they are supposed to live their life as Jesus and his disciples, they would be allowed to be married...

My pasteur has a wife.

"He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him."

So? Maybe she married him because she loved him and didn't care about looks.

>>My pasteur has a wife.
i forgot there are some sects that do allow mariage among priests... but these are deviations of christianism... an example of a sect that allows marriage of priests is lutheran... since that's one of the reasons it was created... Martin Luther wanted to be the head of his own church and be allowed to have a womn, so he created his own religion... most protestant religions allow that... because it is the main reason why they were created...

So? Maybe she married him because she loved him and didn't care about looks.

That would contradict Christianity. If Jesus became married, that would have revealed a fall to earthly temptation.

There are plenty of other reasons as well. And I think it's perfectly fine that a man of God that is devoted to God can have a wife of his own that he loves.

That would contradict Christianity. If Jesus became married, that would have revealed a fall to earthly temptation.

So is walking the Earth itself. If I get married that doesn't mean I fell into temptation.

the thing is, priests are supposed to dedicate their lives to God, or to saving souls... but if they're married, they have more things to worry about... lets say priests are meant to literally "marry their work"...

So is walking the Earth itself. If I get married that doesn't mean I fell into temptation.

Not you, of course.

Were you born with a primary purpose to seek and save the lost?

Marriage is strongly encouraged by God himself, but that would have taken so much away from Jesus' ministry.

commented: good post. +6

Not you, of course.

Marriage is strongly encouraged by God himself, but that would have taken so much away from Jesus' ministry.

exactly

Not you, of course.

I was not born with a primary purpose to marry someone and nothing else. I don't see why both can't be possible. I also think it would be unorthodox and I doubt it myself, but just because it would seem taboo doesn't mean it is necessarily wrong.

I was not born with a primary purpose to marry someone and nothing else. I don't see why both can't be possible. I also think it would be unorthodox and I doubt it myself, but just because it would seem taboo doesn't mean it is necessarily wrong.

It would be completely unnecessary. Jesus wasn't a normal human being. His whole life and death was dedicated to saving the lost, nothing else. He was God in flesh, and His purpose was entirely different.

commented: Amen. +3
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.