To th OP, why do you need to be convinced to use a different OS? Everyone will tell you that the OS they use is the best and everything else is crap. Why not go with what works for you?

I stick with Windows because I play alot of games on a PC. Any other program I need runs fine on Windows. I personally have nothing against macs or linux, they just can't do what I want them to so I don't use them.

IMO, there is no definitive answer to the Os debate, all comes down to personal preference.

>I like my idea of a Unix based Windows.
It ain't going to happen.

>I personally have nothing against macs or linux
So since you use Windows, you're telling us that it's the best and that Macs and Linux and everything else are crap. :icon_rolleyes:

i like all of them they are just suited to different uses

I personally have nothing against macs or linux

That's wonderful since I am sure they don't have any thing against you neither.

IMO, there is no definitive answer to the Os debate.

It seems a pretty much worthless cause for you to post then.

That's wonderful since I am sure they don't have any thing against you neither.

It seems a pretty much worthless cause for you to post then.

Yep, just as pointless as the whole OS debate.

.. as pointless as life :)

Mac. :( bleh!

lol... a man of few words.

Everyone will tell you that the OS they use is the best and everything else is crap. Why not go with what works for you?

I dont see that as true, for instance i use windows but I would be the first one in a group of people to tell them how Linux is a better OS. Don't get me wrong I use windows because it works for me, but I know it is crap. I am just saying that moving to the MAC OS doesn't fix the crappyness, it is just trading one piece of crap for another.... wow, I can be very diplomatic when i need to. 8-D

And I wouldn't say this debate is pointless, it is just a hard one to debate, but that sometimes makes it worth debating. If one side of the issue was more weighted then the other, then why bother to debate it. Example (Al Gore arguing that Global warming is bad and Amy Poelher Arguing her personal view that global warming is Awesome) <- funny but pointless.

If you've already made your decision (and it's obvious you have), why did you waste our time by asking to be convinced?

Yes i agree this.

Has someone seen this article?
http://hubpages.com/hub/_86_Mac_Plus_Vs_07_AMD_DualCore_You_Wont_Believe_Who_Wins#up

As I read it I thought how much is applicable to the way internet connection is going on. I used to have dial-up and life was good. Then with java scripts, pictures dancing up and down, and what-nots, (and gaming, of course), I had to have fast internet connection. Now I feel sometimes that I am using a 14kb modern, just so the page loads up.

Mac:
Treats you like a moron. Too many graphical effects.

That's enough to convince me -- I'm buying a Mac tomorrow! :)

Not fully open source.

I could care less -- I don't want to read or change the source code.

Windows:
Everyone uses it. Not open source. Against choice.

Again, not relevant arguments. Just because everybody uses it doesn't mean I shouldn't too.

Hi I have red this all and want to share my opinion :)

I'm a Windows User, why? Well 2 reasons :

1) I'm a gamer, what other OS does support so many games?
(and to case-mod a MaC... It's not that easy I guess... never tried so don't atack me on this ;))

2) I'm (learning to be) a programmer and when I program something, it is usualy for the biggest group of people. Because most of them are using Windows, my program has to work in Windows...
If people change to a unix, then I'll change too...
I'm used to work in windows, I can now help almost everybody if they got problems, because they all use Windows...

Some other things... I tried Linux (for school) but I just can't work with it (yet)... It's not easy to compile a program, cuz there are a lot of packages (and you need to select the right ones) and a lot op distributions... We've had multiple problems with this in our school... probably is that because of the crapy source we get... but those problems doesn't make me believe Linux is the better OS...

And 1 more thing... I like Open Source... but when I should write something extreem and refreshingly new... I wouldn't like to share my source that fast ;)... Why giving it free if you did the work and could get paid for it???

And Mac is more stable than Windows, and I believe that's because mac has allways had his spicific hardware... easy for driver huh? :D windows had/wanted to support ALL hardware... this makes it a bit harder isn't it?

So conclusion : the best OS is that what the most op people use, they choose Windows then I'll use windows...
They choose OS/2..... then I'll use OS/2...

Greetings

Agent B SMITH

2) I'm (learning to be) a programmer and when I program something, it is usualy for the biggest group of people. Because most of them are using Windows, my program has to work in Windows...
I'm used to work in windows, I can now help almost everybody if they got problems, because they all use Windows...

Some other things... I tried Linux (for school) but I just can't work with it (yet)... It's not easy to compile a program, cuz there are a lot of packages (and you need to select the right ones) and a lot op distributions... We've had multiple problems with this in our school... probably is that because of the crapy source we get... but those problems doesn't make me believe Linux is the better OS...

I've found that programming on Linux/UNIX is much easier...

And 1 more thing... I like Open Source... but when I should write something extreem and refreshingly new... I wouldn't like to share my source that fast ;)... Why giving it free if you did the work and could get paid for it???

I write applications and release them open source so that people can learn, really.

And Mac is more stable than Windows, and I believe that's because mac has allways had his spicific hardware... easy for driver huh? :D windows had/wanted to support ALL hardware... this makes it a bit harder isn't it?

First off, Mac is more stable than Windows, maybe for the reason that you mentioned, but also for others. Operating systems tend to become less stable because of unstably coded applications installed on the machine.

And also, not to make fun of anyone, but when you said "... and I believe that's because mac has allways had his spicific hardware..." did you actually mean his specific hardware? Because Mac isn't the person who invented Apple/Macintosh computers, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak are, and Mac isn't a person at all (although, like most people, Macs tell you that you are dumb, and also, treat you like you are dumb).

First of all, like linux said, programming on linux is much easier than on windows. Second of all I have actually found more programmers that program on linux than windows.(and usaully they are a lot more helpful)

And also, not to make fun of anyone, but when you said "... and I believe that's because mac has allways had his spicific hardware..." did you actually mean his specific hardware? Because Mac isn't the person who invented Apple/Macintosh computers, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak are, and Mac isn't a person at all (although, like most people, Macs tell you that you are dumb, and also, treat you like you are dumb).

almost everyone makes grammatical errors from time-to-time. You just have to learn to be a little less picky about it and accept the fact that not everyone is an English major in college. :)

almost everyone makes grammatical errors from time-to-time. You just have to learn to be a little less picky about it and accept the fact that not everyone is an English major in college. :)

May I be as bold as to say everyone instead of "almost everyone"?.

When I read this, besides noticing that "always" and "specific" were spelled incorrectly, I thought that Smith was just using "his" instead of "it" like people call ships "her" instead of "it".. I didn't really think much of it, and I find it ridiculous for people to comment about it :-/

Also, I agree with linux and sturm that most programmers do, in fact, use linux..

See ya guys. I am going to reformat my hard drive. I will be off for sometime, installing Linux in my box.

See ya guys. I am going to reformat my hard drive. I will be off for sometime, installing Linux in my box.

That didn't take me too long. After making a image of my previous
operating system, and backing up all my important data; I am riding
in a brand new installation of Kubuntu. And it looks sweet.

Also, I agree with linux and sturm that most programmers do, in fact, use linux..

That would be factual data; there's no agreeing or disagreeing. I would be a little surprised if that were, in fact, true.

haha.. cool. Ubuntu is better..

haha.. cool. Ubuntu is better..

Do you care to elaborate a little bit more about that?.

Not really.

>Not really.
Good, better that way.

When I read this, besides noticing that "always" and "specific" were spelled incorrectly, I thought that Smith was just using "his" instead of "it" like people call ships "her" instead of "it".. I didn't really think much of it, and I find it ridiculous for people to comment about it :-/

Well to be honoust, I'm from Belgium, so English is the 3th language we learn and I'm not that good at alfa-science... The error of his is indeed wrong and I'm pleased to here it, so I can learn from it :)...

Second... I'm learning Linux... but I'm used the way Windows works and there aren't many people helping me with the first steps of Linux... I would like to be able to work with it... but more important is the programming...
And I know you can write win32 etc programs in linux... but isn't it just better to test your program in Windows? Because people are going to use it in Windows...

I believe every OS has it's pros and cons... it's for your client to deside what he wants to use... and you make a program for him so it has to work in his OS...

And as last... I appriciate it you share your source... but don't you get frustrated when you program something and an other person makes money out of it ?

Greetings (from Belgium)

Agent B SMITH

Second... I'm learning Linux... but I'm used the way Windows works and there aren't many people helping me with the first steps of Linux... I would like to be able to work with it... but more important is the programming...

Buy a book or use an online tutorial.

And as last... I appriciate it you share your source... but don't you get frustrated when you program something and an other person makes money out of it ?

That would suck.. has never happened to me though

Not really.

Not that anyone's surprised by your opinion slinging without a supportive argument...

Actually, I have already given my arguments.. and most people decided it is based on personal preference.. so I didn't want to get that debate started again.

exactly. thats what i said, IMHO its impossible to compare as they all are suited to different tasks

>Actually, I have already given my arguments.. and most people
>decided it is based on personal preference..
Find some arguments that aren't based on personal preference.

>so I didn't want to get that debate started again.
So if you don't want to start debates again, don't give your opinions. For opinions to be worth anything in a discussion, you must give some reasons to back yourself up.

That's all a flame war really is: a lot of negative opinions about something without any constructive points to back up the opinions. You do realize this, don't you?

.. I did give arguments not based on personal preference such as compatibility, more users, robustness (with Vista, anyway), easier and cheaper to build PCs than MACs.. Much more software and hardware available to the user.. Microsoft is a much better company according to corporate profits..

There really is no reason to buy a MAC.. And most people don't think so either b/c Microsoft has steadily dominated the computer industry for years..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.