I think there is another option to consider here. Perhaps it would benefit some people to ditch the OS concept and run software on the "bare metal". You'd have to write the stuff first of course, but to someone as masochistic as me that sounds like a nice idea :) . Well, I'll be going for now then folks. I've got a TCP / IP stack to write so I can make my home brew browser work....

Steven.

They did that in the old days....

There really is no reason to buy a MAC.. And most people don't think so either b/c Microsoft has steadily dominated the computer industry for years..

For home use -- maybe you are right. But MAC still and always had the superior graphics capability

i think vista is catching up with OSX.

When the next windows comes out i think it will put apple out of buisness and theyll stick to making iPods

When the next windows comes out i think it will put apple out of buisness and theyll stick to making iPods

Has you ever tried to apply as a "ear-advisor" to Steve Jobs.
You should!. And tell him how much in trouble the Apple company is
with Vista catching up. I am very confident that with your expert opinion, and your many years of experience running a company, you will not find any problem getting hired.

Not even those, as Microsoft's Zunes are better, and will kill the ipods :)

i like the zune idae but its flawed. They dont sell them here so I got one off ebay. The software is a bit buggy but i love the interface.

um why do people think that linux cannot look good? I mean, beryl is pretty sweet....

i know. linux is good if you want a free, (relatively) stable os but windows still rules because it has like 99% hardware and software compatibility with mainstream stuff

I was talking about looks. People are like "windows vista is sweet!" or "macs rule because they look cool!" I mean linux can look like a mac, vista, or just have beryl.

I think GNOME looks nice on its own. Give ubuntu 7 a nice wallpaper and a colour scheme that isnt the exact colour of you know what, and it looks lovely

i like the zune idae but its flawed. They dont sell them here so I got one off ebay. The software is a bit buggy but i love the interface.

Yea, the software is a bit buggy.. the wireless capabilities rule.. and like always with microsoft products, there are plenty of hacks for it ;)

They aren't selling them to the British? Wow, that really shows Microsoft's determination..

yeah there not available in europe.

i cant help feeling that the zune is a PocketPC with all the good bits taken out though...

I got a Zen V+ the other day for free :) I like the look of the Zune though. Looks neat.

There is as such nothing absolute when it comes to one's opinions. Better use the OS which suits your needs, thats the best advice someone can offer.

If you feel like contributing to the community of OS developers and the idea of free OS, go with Linux. If you have enough money to buy a decent OS with lots of support and gaming capabilities, go for Windows.

The difference between opinions are just the bias of people against one OS or another, nothing else.If you must know, some consider MS as evil, while others consider Linux as sissy.

At the risk of getting ridiculed, why do some people consider Linux as 'sissy'?

linux isnt sissy. Linux is nerdy. Its OSX that is for sissies

Its OSX that is for sissies

Take the "for" out that statement and you would have been on target.
The question was not about the user.

yeah seriously whats sissy about linux? Its hard core and cool. Ok maybe not ubuntu, but that is besides the point.

>but that is besides the point.
What's the point again?...where's the point?.
I like points. I collect points. C'mon, pass me
the point. I live for points. Life is full of points.
...I see...dead points.

im really confused ;)

yeah seriously whats sissy about linux? Its hard core and cool. Ok maybe not ubuntu, but that is besides the point.

hey wut the hell.. Always bashing my ubuntu lol..

But no, I agree.. 'sissy' is definitely not a word I would use to describe linux. "Difficult" or "manly" would be more like it..

Maybe the one who called Linux a 'sissy' must be comparing it with FreeBSD... ;-)

ah, it's all relative I suppose.. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.