0

Install Virtual PC 2007 and make a new VM. just allocate 256 to 512 meg to the VM (else mysql screws up). If youve got a gig or more total ram you are peerfectly ale to run IE, oiffice etc.... at the same time.

The VMs hard disk will be a file (17 gigs max) in your My Documents/Virtual machines folder

Grab the debian netinstall cd (about 180mb). DO NOT get the 40mb buisnesscard one.

You dont need to burn this cd. Just point virtual PC at the .iso image.

In the installer check ONLY the "Standard System" checkbox. Leave all the GUI and server package groups unchecked. We will do them ourselves. We will NOT be installing a GUI.

When it reboots follow my tutorial on this site to install all the necesarry packages.

You can also set up Samba and share your webroot (/var/www) with your windiows pc so you can transfer your site.

Setting up the whole server takes like an hour tops.

0

> No employer is going to hire you just because you say you have
> "good experience" backed up with no certifications.
Thats an ass backward way of saying things. You need certifications only when you don't have enough experience to cover your back and that too, to fool employers who think certification is more important.

If you must know, experience beats 'just certification' hands down. Of course, if you have a piece of paper with your experience, it changes the scenario.

PS: This topic is going way offtopic James, Josh.

1

> No employer is going to hire you just because you say you have
> "good experience" backed up with no certifications.
Thats an ass backward way of saying things. You need certifications only when you don't have enough experience to cover your back and that too, to fool employers who think certification is more important.

If you must know, experience beats 'just certification' hands down. Of course, if you have a piece of paper with your experience, it changes the scenario.

I never said certifications beat experience. I'm just saying that whatever the situation, it's still good to be certified.

For example, I'm a Nursing Assistant (NA), and I have the experience needed to complete a NA's tasks, but I'm not a CNA - certified [yet]. The hospital will hire me, but a nursing home will not -- just because I don't have my certification.
I know that's a little different than the computer world, but I think that certifications are always good to have behind you.

Votes + Comments
Good luck :)
0

> The hospital will hire me, but a nursing home will not -- just
> because I don't have my certification.
Because in this particular case, certification is the only way to advance, whereas in normal scenarios you have stepping stones like BS, MS, PhD etc.

Simply put, in your case its the only certification and a requirement and hence its a must.

0

Because in this particular case, certification is the only way to advance, whereas in normal scenarios you have stepping stones like BS, MS, PhD etc.

Simply put, in your case its the only certification and a requirement and hence its a must.

Right.
But what I was trying to say, is certifications are still good to have along with experience.
Yes, of course everyone should advance with degrees, I think they say a whole lot more about your knowledge than certifications. That's why after I get my certification, I will be studying to get my BSN and MSN in nursing.

0

Right.
But what I was trying to say, is certifications are still good to have along with experience.
Yes, of course everyone should advance with degrees, I think they say a whole lot more about your knowledge than certifications. That's why after I get my certification, I will be studying to get my BSN and MSN in nursing.

The medical field is a little different from the tech field when it comes to certifications. The tech field holds little value for certifications once a certain level of experience is reached. While I'm not in the medical field, I'd bet that interview processes are quite different; tech interviews are straight to the point, and if you can answer it on paper, you can do it at your workstation. How to perform a medical operation, however, is harder to test in an interview, so using certifications to assert that the interviewee knows the process makes more sense.

Btw Christina, I was actually talking with my mom (who's an RN) about a week ago about degree programs (started by mentioning how funny it is that for software developers getting a Masters doesn't change your job positions much, and how a PhD in CS precludes most programming jobs), and she mentioned that nursing was pretty similar. She has an Associates, but the only difference between her and someone with a BS or MS is that the higher degree tends to be helpful for getting a more managerial position. There may be some small pay difference, but as far as the actual nursing goes, she's doing the same stuff as her co-workers who did get the higher degree.

0

The medical field is a little different from the tech field when it comes to certifications. The tech field holds little value for certifications once a certain level of experience is reached. While I'm not in the medical field, I'd bet that interview processes are quite different; tech interviews are straight to the point, and if you can answer it on paper, you can do it at your workstation. How to perform a medical operation, however, is harder to test in an interview, so using certifications to assert that the interviewee knows the process makes more sense.

Ahh, I see. That makes sense.

Btw Christina, I was actually talking with my mom (who's an RN) about a week ago about degree programs (started by mentioning how funny it is that for software developers getting a Masters doesn't change your job positions much, and how a PhD in CS precludes most programming jobs), and she mentioned that nursing was pretty similar. She has an Associates, but the only difference between her and someone with a BS or MS is that the higher degree tends to be helpful for getting a more managerial position. There may be some small pay difference, but as far as the actual nursing goes, she's doing the same stuff as her co-workers who did get the higher degree.

Yes, I've interviewed RN's and have talked to both of my teachers who have their BSN in nursing. And they say the same thing. But the reason for why I am getting my MSN is because I'll be a Nurse Practitioner instead of an RN, and they get paid more... (they're basically like Physician's Assistants.)

0

It sounds to me that nurses are 1) overworked and 2) underpaid. It also doesn't seem particularly rewarding.

oh and even though this might not apply to you, I am kind of scared of people and get nervous easily around them. That is why I like daniweb.

0

mmm i dont have any friends (well, other than serunson who is also called james) in reality. im kinda shy. daniweb is so much better than reality ;)

0

It sounds to me that nurses are 1) overworked and 2) underpaid. It also doesn't seem particularly rewarding.

That may be true.

But if it wasn't for nurses, who would take of the sick? Doctors? Yeah right, that's why they went to school for 9+ years -- so that they wouldn't have to do the hard work.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're intelligent, but it takes a certain kind of person to be a doctor and a certain kind of person to be a nurse. I just happen to be the nurse kind. :)

2

I love nurses -- the ones I met when I was in the hospital are great and competent people. I don't think I have met a bad nurse, but I have met what I consider lousy doctors (quacks). I think nursing is the second-best profession in the world, only next to motherhood.

Votes + Comments
That's it, Mr. Nice. Now you are going to get it. ;)
That was encouraging. :)
0

my mum used to be a radiographer. now she sorks in a shool with special needs.

in case you oever change profession, medicine is a good one as you:

work with the public
teamwork
stressful environment

people with medical experience find it quite easy to get into education / office work etc... thanks to these skills.

0

Nurses always seem to be hot over here for some reason. It's a phenomenon I've observed over my lifetime.

1

Nurses always seem to be hot over here for some reason. It's a phenomenon I've observed over my lifetime.

I bet it has something to do with their uniforms. A girl who doesn't look good in a nurse's uniform is beyond help.

Votes + Comments
Ha,ha,ha.
0

It sounds to me that nurses are 1) overworked and 2) underpaid. It also doesn't seem particularly rewarding.

I agree. And actually, I always used to think that nurses were people who were not smart enough to be doctors.. I now realize that those are dentists :)

No, but seriously, good luck to you! :) I think people should just do whatever they enjoy.. Although that is a bit hypocritical coming from me b/c I always wanted to be a doctor for the $$$

oh and even though this might not apply to you, I am kind of scared of people and get nervous easily around them. That is why I like daniweb.

mmm i dont have any friends (well, other than serunson who is also called james) in reality. im kinda shy. daniweb is so much better than reality ;)

lol.. you guys need to get out more ;)

I bet it has something to do with their uniforms. A girl who doesn't look good in a nurse's uniform is beyond help.

hahaha.. I agree :D

0

No, but seriously, good luck to you! :) I think people should just do whatever they enjoy.. Although that is a bit hypocritical coming from me b/c I always wanted to be a doctor for the $$$

Thanks. :)

I once used to think the same too. I wanted to be a neurosurgeon a couple years back for the money. But I realized I didn't want to waste 10 years of my life going to school.

Aren't anesthesiologists the highest paid doctors? They go to school for 12+ years.

0

Thanks. :)

I once used to think the same too. I wanted to be a neurosurgeon a couple years back for the money. But I realized I didn't want to waste 10 years of my life going to school.

The exact reason that I decided I did not want to be a doctor :)

Aren't anesthesiologists the highest paid doctors? They go to school for 12+ years.

I thought neurosurgeons were.. maybe not though

0

I thought neurosurgeons were.. maybe not though

Well, anesthesiologists have an average annual salary of $300,000+ ...

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.