Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I always get confused Lincon was the guy with the hat right?

Yeah, the 16th President of the United States.

oh yah i remember the one that let all the black people go and got shot at a play

Yeah he's pretty famous. ;)

oh yah i remember the one that let all the black people go and got shot at a play

Not exactly accurate, from what I recall. If I remember the wording correctly, the Emancipation Proclamation would have had no effect on the states in the Union, or on those Confederate states which chose to rejoin the Union before the Proclamation's deadline.

Im not very brushed up on American history(boring) being an aussie and all although i know roughly the sort of things that happend and those big words do ring a bell because i have watched alot of old westerns like the outlaw josey wales that are set around the same time.

Yea, a lot of people are confused by this. But actually, Lincoln was racist himself, and only used the emancipation proclamation as a war tactic. From what I understand, he actually wanted to send all the black people back to Africa.. and who knows what would have happened if he wasn't assassinated.

Yea, a lot of people are confused by this. But actually, Lincoln was racist himself, and only used the emancipation proclamation as a war tactic. From what I understand, he actually wanted to send all the black people back to Africa.. and who knows what would have happened if he wasn't assassinated.

I don't know specifically about racist, but you are correct about Lincoln's particular desires in this case. Liberia originally began as a colony of American Freedmen (before the war); Lincoln proposed sending the freed slaves there, from what I recall.

And given that legally, Lincoln had no right to dictate what happened in another country (Confederacy), the entire purpose of the proclamation was propagandistic. I don't believe he felt that way, but from what I've read, Lincoln's own understanding of governmental interactions between federal and state levels was in error; he felt that the constitutional union could not be broken, in spite of the Virginia Conditional Ratification.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.