Yes there will be drawbacks to all of them but I think it would be interesting to see lots of ideas on how to help save the planet.

1. Rich governments of the world should buy up rain forests from the likes of Brazil and Indonesia and protect them from illegal and excessive logging.

Recommended Answers

All 60 Replies

no because its those rich countries that use most of the paper from the logging.

Yes but if logging is controlled and illegal logging is tempered then this will go along way to controlling rain forests. Of course its the rich countries use most of rain forest resources which gives them more reasons to look after them.

He's got a point. Privately owned commodities are worth more than so-called 'common' commodities are; from what I recall, elephant herds do better in the areas of Africa where some limited hunting is legal; the hunters have an incentive to protect the herds for future use. In those areas where it isn't, there's no personal incentive not to turn a blind eye as poachers sneak in.

2. Use energy saving lightbulbs (some use one eighth the energy of normal light bulbs and can be kept on for fifty years straight without blowing out. Your great grandchildren would have to replace them and for only about 35 dollars a bulb. Think about it.)

>some use one eighth the energy of normal light bulbs and can be kept on for fifty years straight without blowing out.

Darn. I want some of those. Where do you get them?

They're relatively knew. I don't have any myself, but they aren't all that popular yet, just because no one really wants to spend 35 dollars for a light bulb. Give it twenty years and the price will certainly go down to a more reasonable price. I think they're made with something called LAD or LED if I recall correctly. Somewhat recently they figured out how to get the third color of the primary colors of addition (red, green, blue) with the LED or LAD. That means that the light can be white and can be used as a common lightbulb. What's interesting is they don't use a filament or a gas (like neon lights), they use a solid. So in time they can theoretically replace (or build new houses with) ceilings that are made of only this light. It would also be durable enough to withstand the same things your walls and ceilings can withstand today. But because of the material it's made of, it won't be blinding bright like you might expect, unless you want it to be, and (again this is in time) you could change the color of this light/ceiling to be any color you want it to be. I'll do more research on it.

P.S. one eighth the energy means less cost on your electric bill too.

Idea number 3:
Everyone in this planet commit coordinated mass suicide, let's say a month from now?.

Like justlukeyou said: "there will be drawbacks to all of them", and I admit, there's one here, but it would save the planet.

but we are part of the planet too. lol

but we are part of the planet too. lol

I'm glad you think so. ;-)

4. Research for alternative fuels.

Yes there will be drawbacks to all of them but I think it would be interesting to see lots of ideas on how to help save the planet.

From what? For what?

For any of the ideas that would help save the planet. Such as his first idea of rich countries buying forests.

Save the planet from what?
"Save the planet" for what?

>Save the planet from what?

I didn't ask because I knew the answer. It's always the same when someone talks about saving the planet, or the enviroment.
The answer is US. From us.
That's why I sumitted my solution as a third idea. Like I said it, it has just one drawback, it would be very complicated to make such coordination.

>Save the planet" for what?.
For the little birds, the little foxes, the little wolves, the little bears and above everything else the forrest. Man, the forrest is a priority.

>Save the planet from what?

I didn't ask because I knew the answer. It's always the same when someone talks about saving the planet, or the enviroment.
The answer is US. From us.
That's why I sumitted my solution as a third idea. Like I said it, it has just one drawback, it would be very complicated to make such coordination.

I know the canned answer as well. I just think that those asking the question should at least understand it too.

Actually that third idea is being considered seriously by some liberal I read about recently. Well, actually, not everybody. Just a couple billion. Lemme look around a bit.

I guess you could say save the planet from global warming, political corruptness, imorrality, overpopulation, war, environmentally unsafe acts, ignorance, need I say more? There are always things we can do that can make our world better. Even if it's at its best.

All righty, I'll offer something positive.

Shut off the computer.
Shut off your TV.
Shut off your music source.
Shut off everything but a light source unless at the moment you don't require one.

Read a book.

Yup, yup, true dat. I like books. You can even sit outside where you have a natural light source. That was number 5.

Food for thought:
If global warming has nothing to do with mankind, what are the potential consequences of everyone becoming vegan and going Amish?

More animals flourish, and potentially become predators of humans. We can't protect our people as well from natural disasters or become as flexible with evacuation or rescue missions......Maybe?

Yeah, something along the line of destroying 90% (remembering that 87.2% of statistics are made up on the spot) of human life within a couple generations.

But then again, when saving the planet, we are of course thinking not about ourselves but of future generations.

Actually 100% of statistics are made up on the spot.

6. Stop buying McDonald's food.

6. Stop buying McDonald's food.

Other than, "because these cornbugers suck" or "these chicken 'parts' have no real taste" -- yet "the kids love it", and well "the French fries are the best" -- why?

It's so incredibly unhealthy for you. You'll be of more use to society if you don't eat it and live about 7 years longer. Except for those that are useless to society who will only continue to eat that food anyway. Lol.

It's so incredibly unhealthy for you. You'll be of more use to society if you don't eat it and live about 7 years longer. Except for those that are useless to society who will only continue to eat that food anyway. Lol.

Hey, I'm doing my part. I smoke and drink to excess. I don't plan on reaching my 60's. :)

Just give me some socialized medicine and Josh's clone's lungs and liver and I might stick around and annoy people for a little while longer.

haha, that's the way to live...I guess.

All righty, I'll offer something positive.
Shut off the computer.
Shut off your TV.
Shut off your music source.
Shut off everything but a light source unless at the moment you don't require one.

Read a book.

At nights when there's storm, we could always read that book with the lightnings. It would be a shame if we let that light source go to waste.

I hate those hybrid cars

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.