Anybody else like chess? I've been playing for a little bit now, but one of my weaknesses is opening moves. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 154 Replies

thanks. those helped.

>I've been playing for a little bit now, but one of my weaknesses is opening moves.
Are you developing your power pieces? A lot of people just fiddle with the pawns in their opening moves when you can get more impact with each move by using stronger pieces.

Early game should primarily be used to set up your pawn structure, develop your position, and castle. (thats how I play the early game at least) btw, bringing your queen out is usually a bad idea.

I usually try to get some stronger pieces out there in the center after getting the pawns in the right place. Sometimes I've seen a queen go "behind enemy lines" steal a few pieces and retreat with no harm done. Some people just don't see that coming. I'm usually not afraid to trade a queen for a queen. I don't like it when people rely too heavily on that one piece. Even though I am a little relunctant to trade it.

queens waste your time in the early game. Almost anywhere on the board a queen can be threatened. By bringing out your queen early you may lose your initiative. (in my opinion keeping initiative is one of the most important things)

yeah at the start i get in there with my bishops and knights and protect my king and queen with the rooks. the queen only comes into play later (once all the pawns are gone)

i've learned the best way to open the game is taking your middle pawns to the center along with your knights... then, according to your opponent, your game might follow in different ways...

it IS a bad idea to move both your rooks and your queen from the first line... i would recommend to move throughout the table one of your rooks and your bishops... always leave at least one rook protecting your king, alonng with the queen...

When white, I usually bring out my king side bishop and knight so I can castle.

though, castling can be dangerous, since you may cpture your king behind a row of pawns... so you have to know how to play it well...

though, castling can be dangerous, since you may cpture your king behind a row of pawns... so you have to know how to play it well...

When I have nothing better to do mid game I create a opening with a pawn.

Anybody else like chess? I've been playing for a little bit now, but one of my weaknesses is opening moves. Any ideas?

Duki and I started playing it about 2 weeks ago. He taught me. :) & He's better than me. :(

[edit]

I started playing when I was 3.

After a castle I always move one pawn up, otherwise I could get caught off guard and there's nothing I can do.

Yeah but you lose even more initiative! Its the "safe" thing to do, but frankly there are usually more pressing moves at the time (of course I might regret it later!)

.. I typically play conservatively, and just let my opponent attack aggressively.. they usually make a stupid mistake in which I go all out and own his a$$! lol.

lol I am just the opposite. I generally _pwn_ most people eary and mid game. But unfortunately I get too arrogant and make foolish mistake late game.

lol.. we should play online sometime then.. although I haven't played chess in a year or two..

Wanna play Right now? Im white. E4

hah.. naw, I mean via yahoo games or AIM or something..

After a castle I always move one pawn up, otherwise I could get caught off guard and there's nothing I can do.

that is usually a wise move but it does leave an opening for an opponent to exploit.
It also makes you predictable, never a good thing.

and yes, I play.
On and off for the last 25 years or so. Currently off for lack of opponents (I don't like chess clubs, am not interested in competition play which is all they're interested in to the extent that often members won't play outside the club competition).

yeah i like to play with my cousin. were both novices

i started playing when i was like 7 or so... i even bought a hand made chess set in rome, that represents a battle between romans and barbarians in metal pieces... pretty cool...

Nf3

can i take on the winner? i am reasonably good at chess. or if there is someone else who would play me while they play?

You could start another thread.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.